Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 19, 2011
7:17:09 PM
View profile
Problem with network accessibility

For the past 3 nights at about 5pm I have been unable to make or receive calls and send or receive texts. This goes on for several hours at which point I am able to use my phone as usual again. I am using the $50 prepaid monthly unlimited plan, and have set up auto refill, so having money in the account is not the issue.

I tried to contact the live chat customer service representatives, but was informed that my only option is to call the PrePaid department for help. Being able to call ANYONE would mean I didn't have a problem and thus wouldn't need to contact customer service in the first place. There is not a problem with the signal- the icon shows all the bars. There is not a problem with towers or service outages- both the billing representative and the tech support representative checked. I do, however, have a phone icon with a red line through it right next to the signal icon. This is gone again during the day, however my job makes it nearly impossible to make calls during the day. By the time I've gotten off work the past few days I have already reached the "NOT ALLOWED" period of my cell service.

I am quite frustrated with the fact that I am paying for a service that I am unable to use. Is there anything anyone can suggest? 

For the record I have already tried:

-Turning the phone off and on

-Turning the phone off, waiting a while, and then turning it on again

-Taking the battery and SIM card out, replacing them, and turning the phone on again

-Taking the SIM card out and putting it in a new phone (still had the problem)

-Putting a different SIM card in my phone (problem disappears until my SIM card is put back in.)

For the past 3 nights at about 5pm I have been unable to make or receive calls and send or receive texts. This goes on for several hours at which point I am able to use my phone as usual again. I am using the $50 prepaid monthly unlimited plan, and have set up auto refill, so having money in the account is not the issue.

I tried to contact the live chat customer service representatives, but was informed that my only option is to call the PrePaid department for help. Being able to call ANYONE would mean I didn't have a problem and thus wouldn't need to contact customer service in the first place. There is not a problem with the signal- the icon shows all the bars. There is not a problem with towers or service outages- both the billing representative and the tech support representative checked. I do, however, have a phone icon with a red line through it right next to the signal icon. This is gone again during the day, however my job makes it nearly impossible to make calls during the day. By the time I've gotten off work the past few days I have already reached the "NOT ALLOWED" period of my cell service.

I am quite frustrated with the fact that I am paying for a service that I am unable to use. Is there anything anyone can suggest? 

For the record I have already tried:

-Turning the phone off and on

-Turning the phone off, waiting a while, and then turning it on again

-Taking the battery and SIM card out, replacing them, and turning the phone on again

-Taking the SIM card out and putting it in a new phone (still had the problem)

-Putting a different SIM card in my phone (problem disappears until my SIM card is put back in.)

Problem with network accessibility

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 8:58:09 PM
(0)
Guru

Seems like you have a faulty SIM card. Trying going to a corporate AT&T store and have them look at it and if it needs replacing then you should be good to go.

Seems like you have a faulty SIM card. Trying going to a corporate AT&T store and have them look at it and if it needs replacing then you should be good to go.

Re: Problem with network accessibility

2 of 9 (283 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 9:02:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

If it were a faulty SIM card, wouldn't the problem be continuous? I lose service around 5pm, but it's back in the mornings. At least that's the way it's been so far. 

If it were a faulty SIM card, wouldn't the problem be continuous? I lose service around 5pm, but it's back in the mornings. At least that's the way it's been so far. 

3 of 9 (281 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 9:14:00 PM
(0)
Guru

That is odd, but the troubleshooting you have tried makes it seem like some sort of fault with the SIM card. The only thing I can suggest is having your SIM card checked.

That is odd, but the troubleshooting you have tried makes it seem like some sort of fault with the SIM card. The only thing I can suggest is having your SIM card checked.

4 of 9 (279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2011 12:44:56 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Sep 20, 2011 at 1:11:59 PM

That seems like a network overload issue OR radio interference issue.

That seems like a network overload issue OR radio interference issue.

[ Edited ]
5 of 9 (253 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2011 2:53:41 PM
(0)
Scholar

caitlawton wrote:

Hello caitlawton.

Your tests have been exhaustive in my opinion.

1. It is not your phone
  2. It is not the network coverage
  3. It appears to be a service time block

It almost sounds like you are "barred" for a preset period of the day.  Almost like a configured "do no disturb" condition on your service.  As it is not your phone (it only happens with your SIM), it could be your service provisioning, which may have been inadvertently tampered with, although they say this is not the case.  Or, it could be a bad SIM, although I doubt it.

Go to a corporate retail store during a time period of malfunctioning (so that they believe you!), and ask them to activate a new SIM to replace the old one, while preserving your existing account.  That eliminates the "bad SIM" as a root cause.  And test thereafter while at the store.  If that does not fix it, it is your service provisioning, regardless of what they say.

Good luck.

caitlawton wrote:

Hello caitlawton.

Your tests have been exhaustive in my opinion.

1. It is not your phone
  2. It is not the network coverage
  3. It appears to be a service time block

It almost sounds like you are "barred" for a preset period of the day.  Almost like a configured "do no disturb" condition on your service.  As it is not your phone (it only happens with your SIM), it could be your service provisioning, which may have been inadvertently tampered with, although they say this is not the case.  Or, it could be a bad SIM, although I doubt it.

Go to a corporate retail store during a time period of malfunctioning (so that they believe you!), and ask them to activate a new SIM to replace the old one, while preserving your existing account.  That eliminates the "bad SIM" as a root cause.  And test thereafter while at the store.  If that does not fix it, it is your service provisioning, regardless of what they say.

Good luck.

6 of 9 (236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 4:22:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

The only other thing I can think of to add/ask - is there any pattern as to exactly where you are located when you lose service for several hours vs. where you are when you regain service?  The icon you mention does sound like it would be to indicate "network unavailable" or something along those lines.  So if you haven't already specifically considered whether there is a locational pattern to it, I'd give it some thought.

I know when I was traveling with my prepaid and my post paid phones, on many occasions I'd have plenty of signal strength indicated on the phone with the prepaid SIM, but it still would not have network access due to the fact that there is no roaming coverage with prepaid service.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

The only other thing I can think of to add/ask - is there any pattern as to exactly where you are located when you lose service for several hours vs. where you are when you regain service?  The icon you mention does sound like it would be to indicate "network unavailable" or something along those lines.  So if you haven't already specifically considered whether there is a locational pattern to it, I'd give it some thought.

I know when I was traveling with my prepaid and my post paid phones, on many occasions I'd have plenty of signal strength indicated on the phone with the prepaid SIM, but it still would not have network access due to the fact that there is no roaming coverage with prepaid service.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 9 (220 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 7:55:52 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Sep 21, 2011 at 8:13:23 AM

"-Putting a different SIM card in my phone (problem disappears until my SIM card is put back in.)"

I read the OP's post again, and he found the problem but he did not know it. When I first read it, somehow this last sentence slipped through without my thinking that he already solved the puzzle.

"-Putting a different SIM card in my phone (problem disappears until my SIM card is put back in.)"

I read the OP's post again, and he found the problem but he did not know it. When I first read it, somehow this last sentence slipped through without my thinking that he already solved the puzzle.

[ Edited ]
8 of 9 (214 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 10:57:08 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

caitlawton, 

I agree with our other community members who've said this sounds like an issue with the sim card. 

I suggest to head into a retail store to get the sim card replaced. If you'd like to talk to someone else (support rep) about this before you do that, please let me know and I'll get it set up. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

caitlawton, 

I agree with our other community members who've said this sounds like an issue with the sim card. 

I suggest to head into a retail store to get the sim card replaced. If you'd like to talk to someone else (support rep) about this before you do that, please let me know and I'll get it set up. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

9 of 9 (202 Views)