Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 21, 2011
6:08:48 AM
View profile
Problem about plan
Edited by pamelaz on Sep 21, 2011 at 9:10:30 AM

How can i cancel my old plan and register a new one without going to the store. I mean do It online.

I want cancel my old plan which is 60 dollars per month(unlimited) because I am not in USA now. That's why I want to cancel, so I won't waste my money without using it.

I want to keep this phone no. for 1 year because I might be using it in the coming future.

{Personal content removed for your safety}

How can i cancel my old plan and register a new one without going to the store. I mean do It online.

I want cancel my old plan which is 60 dollars per month(unlimited) because I am not in USA now. That's why I want to cancel, so I won't waste my money without using it.

I want to keep this phone no. for 1 year because I might be using it in the coming future.

{Personal content removed for your safety}

Problem about plan

[ Edited ]
4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2011 4:43:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

That may be difficult to do since you aren't in the US.  Rate plan changes cannot be made on-line; you can do so via the IVR, but to my understanding you cannot call an 800 number from outside the US.

You could try calling international customer care and see if they will transfer you to the GoPhone customer care department so that they can make the changes for you. (+1-916-843-4685 )

Or if you have a close friend or family member in the US that you would trust to access your account and make the changes for you, you could have them call the GoPhone customer service IVR (1-800-331-0500, then enter your phone number and pass code to access the system).  You'll need to add a $100 refill to keep the phone number for a year, and of course as you said, you'll want to change the rate plan to one of the PPU/D plans as well.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

That may be difficult to do since you aren't in the US.  Rate plan changes cannot be made on-line; you can do so via the IVR, but to my understanding you cannot call an 800 number from outside the US.

You could try calling international customer care and see if they will transfer you to the GoPhone customer care department so that they can make the changes for you. (+1-916-843-4685 )

Or if you have a close friend or family member in the US that you would trust to access your account and make the changes for you, you could have them call the GoPhone customer service IVR (1-800-331-0500, then enter your phone number and pass code to access the system).  You'll need to add a $100 refill to keep the phone number for a year, and of course as you said, you'll want to change the rate plan to one of the PPU/D plans as well.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Problem about plan

2 of 5 (602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2011 5:29:23 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by thnew36956 on Sep 23, 2011 at 5:33:38 AM

My friend went to the store to change the plan for me, but the people who in charge there said my friend is not the owner of the number, so he can't change the plan.

What are the possible ways  I can do?

Pls. suggest me 

Thank you so much for replying.

My friend went to the store to change the plan for me, but the people who in charge there said my friend is not the owner of the number, so he can't change the plan.

Pls. suggest me 

[ Edited ]
3 of 5 (599 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2011 6:58:38 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by OnlytheShadowKnows on Sep 23, 2011 at 7:10:50 AM

thnew36956 wrote:

Pls. suggest me 

hme83 has given you all the AT&T prepaid ways to change your rate plan on your line of service.  It becomes complicated when outside the US, as you found out.

I will suggest a creative alternative, and one that will make your phone number yours forever -- carrier independent, without the need to feed a prepaid account, like you are planning to do.

1. port your GoPhone number to Google Voice.  Goto: http://www.google.com/voice to socialize the idea.
  2. Get Started at https://www.google.com/voice/porting  Check the availability of the port for your cellular number;  you do not need to commit until you are ready even if the number can be ported.  It will cost you a one-time fee of $20.
  3. Once you are committed to the port, from AT&T prepaid to GoogleVoice:

use for account the 10-digit phone number

use for authentication the four-digit PIN

use for identity exactly what is filed on the profile of your "mygophone" online:  full name, address with zip code, and home phone number

The port process takes 24 hours to complete.  Upon completion your AT&T GoPhone account gets closed and the phone number is now a "virtual" number to forward to "physical" numbers (other cellular numbers and/or landline numbers).  It works on both directions -- outgoing and incoming.

The number is yours to keep forever.  And you do not have to map it to anything at all, until you are ready to use it, so it costs you nada, zero, zilch to preserve it.

Finally, Google Voice has additional number of goodies for free which you can activate at willl: 

1. texting, domestic and international, incoming and outgoing, is free of per-message fees, as Google Voice delivers the texts using your data band, not the call band.
  2. unified voicemail with free transcription, where the transcription is delivered either by email and/or text.  As the transcription is far from perfect, the .WAV file of the original message is available for replay as well.
  3. call/text forwarding based on "groups" so you can dump to the floor calls/texts from obnoxious sources and/or route the calls/texts to selected destinations based on point of origination (calling number).

As you already have a domestic number you should be able to port the number to Google Voice. Google Voice will not port international numbers.

To use GoogleVoice you will need, when you are in the US, any carrier's cellphone (AT&T is your best match to international phones because of the 850/1900 GPRS cellular-data bands).  But you only need the carrier's "physical" account while you are in the US.  You can let that "physical" account shutdown, and your Google Voice number will still be with you for the next go-around, possibly years later.

If you do this, you just saved yourself no less than $100-year, possibly much more, to preserve a prepaid account that you have no access.

This is my suggestion.  No pain, no cost, yours forever.  Good luck.

thnew36956 wrote:

Pls. suggest me 

hme83 has given you all the AT&T prepaid ways to change your rate plan on your line of service.  It becomes complicated when outside the US, as you found out.

I will suggest a creative alternative, and one that will make your phone number yours forever -- carrier independent, without the need to feed a prepaid account, like you are planning to do.

1. port your GoPhone number to Google Voice.  Goto: http://www.google.com/voice to socialize the idea.
  2. Get Started at https://www.google.com/voice/porting  Check the availability of the port for your cellular number;  you do not need to commit until you are ready even if the number can be ported.  It will cost you a one-time fee of $20.
  3. Once you are committed to the port, from AT&T prepaid to GoogleVoice:

use for account the 10-digit phone number

use for authentication the four-digit PIN

use for identity exactly what is filed on the profile of your "mygophone" online:  full name, address with zip code, and home phone number

The port process takes 24 hours to complete.  Upon completion your AT&T GoPhone account gets closed and the phone number is now a "virtual" number to forward to "physical" numbers (other cellular numbers and/or landline numbers).  It works on both directions -- outgoing and incoming.

The number is yours to keep forever.  And you do not have to map it to anything at all, until you are ready to use it, so it costs you nada, zero, zilch to preserve it.

Finally, Google Voice has additional number of goodies for free which you can activate at willl: 

1. texting, domestic and international, incoming and outgoing, is free of per-message fees, as Google Voice delivers the texts using your data band, not the call band.
  2. unified voicemail with free transcription, where the transcription is delivered either by email and/or text.  As the transcription is far from perfect, the .WAV file of the original message is available for replay as well.
  3. call/text forwarding based on "groups" so you can dump to the floor calls/texts from obnoxious sources and/or route the calls/texts to selected destinations based on point of origination (calling number).

As you already have a domestic number you should be able to port the number to Google Voice. Google Voice will not port international numbers.

To use GoogleVoice you will need, when you are in the US, any carrier's cellphone (AT&T is your best match to international phones because of the 850/1900 GPRS cellular-data bands).  But you only need the carrier's "physical" account while you are in the US.  You can let that "physical" account shutdown, and your Google Voice number will still be with you for the next go-around, possibly years later.

If you do this, you just saved yourself no less than $100-year, possibly much more, to preserve a prepaid account that you have no access.

This is my suggestion.  No pain, no cost, yours forever.  Good luck.

[ Edited ]
4 of 5 (592 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2011 4:43:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

thnew36956 wrote:

Pls. suggest me 

Did you give your friend the pass code to your account?  Even if so - I still wouldn't really recommend having him do so in a store because he isn't the owner of the account - and he should be able to just as easily accomplish it using the IVR as long as he has the pass code to access the system and make rate plan changes, etc..

He would call 1-800-331-0500 (customer service) and enter your cell phone number.  This will forward him to the GoPhone IVR system.  At the main menu he would choose "More Options" and then "Rate Plans".  (At about this point he's going to be prompted for the pass code on your account.)  Within the rate plans menu he can change your plan to either the $0.10/minute option or the $2/day plan.  Then he'll need to go back to the main menu, and I believe it is from there that you can access the option to purchase a $100 refill (with a one year expiration period) with a credit card or bank account information.  (If account refill isn't under the main menu, it's under "More Options" as well.) 

Needless to say, I wouldn't recommend having someone do this for you unless it is a close friend or family member who you can trust with your personal information/access to your account.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

thnew36956 wrote:

Pls. suggest me 

Did you give your friend the pass code to your account?  Even if so - I still wouldn't really recommend having him do so in a store because he isn't the owner of the account - and he should be able to just as easily accomplish it using the IVR as long as he has the pass code to access the system and make rate plan changes, etc..

He would call 1-800-331-0500 (customer service) and enter your cell phone number.  This will forward him to the GoPhone IVR system.  At the main menu he would choose "More Options" and then "Rate Plans".  (At about this point he's going to be prompted for the pass code on your account.)  Within the rate plans menu he can change your plan to either the $0.10/minute option or the $2/day plan.  Then he'll need to go back to the main menu, and I believe it is from there that you can access the option to purchase a $100 refill (with a one year expiration period) with a credit card or bank account information.  (If account refill isn't under the main menu, it's under "More Options" as well.) 

Needless to say, I wouldn't recommend having someone do this for you unless it is a close friend or family member who you can trust with your personal information/access to your account.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 5 (576 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments