Prepaid with BlackBerry. Do I have to buy a data plan?

Contributor

Prepaid with BlackBerry. Do I have to buy a data plan?

I bought an unlocked Blackberry 9100 and I was going to purchase a sim card for it today to do the 10 cent/min prepaid and when I added the sim card to my cart it gives me a notice that says:

"If your device is a PDA, smartphone, or BlackBerry®, you will require a minimum $15/month data service

If you don't select a data service, one will be added automatically after activation."

Do I have to buy a data plan if I do the prepaid 10cent/min plan? If I do have to, will the $5 for 10mb option work?

Message 1 of 3
Scholar

Re: Prepaid with BlackBerry. Do I have to buy a data plan?

porter44 wrote:

I bought an unlocked Blackberry 9100 and I was going to purchase a sim card for it today to do the 10 cent/min prepaid and when I added the sim card to my cart it gives me a notice that says:

"If your device is a PDA, smartphone, or BlackBerry®, you will require a minimum $15/month data service

If you don't select a data service, one will be added automatically after activation."

Do I have to buy a data plan if I do the prepaid 10cent/min plan? If I do have to, will the $5 for 10mb option work?

Assuming you bought the SIM card for prepaid service, you can just ignore that notice. The mandatory $15/month data plan only applies to postpaid/contract customers.

Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
Master

Re: Prepaid with BlackBerry. Do I have to buy a data plan?

That is correct. A data plan for your prepaid BlackBerry is not mandatory as it is with post paid users. You can use a data plan if you really wanted to, though. But I think it's good enough as it is.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 3 of 3
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support