Prepaid with BlackBerry. Do I have to buy a data plan?

Contributor

Prepaid with BlackBerry. Do I have to buy a data plan?

I bought an unlocked Blackberry 9100 and I was going to purchase a sim card for it today to do the 10 cent/min prepaid and when I added the sim card to my cart it gives me a notice that says:

"If your device is a PDA, smartphone, or BlackBerry®, you will require a minimum $15/month data service

If you don't select a data service, one will be added automatically after activation."

Do I have to buy a data plan if I do the prepaid 10cent/min plan? If I do have to, will the $5 for 10mb option work?

Message 1 of 3 (1,745 Views)
Scholar

Re: Prepaid with BlackBerry. Do I have to buy a data plan?

porter44 wrote:

I bought an unlocked Blackberry 9100 and I was going to purchase a sim card for it today to do the 10 cent/min prepaid and when I added the sim card to my cart it gives me a notice that says:

"If your device is a PDA, smartphone, or BlackBerry®, you will require a minimum $15/month data service

If you don't select a data service, one will be added automatically after activation."

Do I have to buy a data plan if I do the prepaid 10cent/min plan? If I do have to, will the $5 for 10mb option work?

Assuming you bought the SIM card for prepaid service, you can just ignore that notice. The mandatory $15/month data plan only applies to postpaid/contract customers.

Message 2 of 3 (1,728 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Re: Prepaid with BlackBerry. Do I have to buy a data plan?

That is correct. A data plan for your prepaid BlackBerry is not mandatory as it is with post paid users. You can use a data plan if you really wanted to, though. But I think it's good enough as it is.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 3 of 3 (1,716 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.