Prepaid sim card with no data plan

Tutor

Prepaid sim card with no data plan

I have an ATT Samsung Captivate Phone and I want to purchase a sim card with refillable prepaid minutes.  I am interested in a voice plan only; i.e., I am NOT interested in a data plan.  I also DO NOT prefer a plan that charges $1 or $2 per day for each day that a call is made.  I simply want to buy minutes on the sim card and be charged for actual minutes used (10 cents per minute?).

For Example, with T-mobile, I can I get a sim card with 1000 minutes for $100 that expires in one year -- no additional charges other than 10 cents per minute.  Does ATT have a similar plan?  How about a sim card with 500 minutes for $50 that expires in 6 months?  I heard that ATT sells a sim card with 150 minutes and 30-day expiration for $15 and no data plan required -- are there any other charges such as $1 or $2 per day for each day that a call is made?

Where can I go ONLINE to get more detail on what options are available?

Can I purchase the sim card with prepaid minutes online?  Where online?  Can I add minutes to the sim card online?  Where online?

Message 1 of 7 (3,495 Views)
Tutor

Re: Prepaid sim card with no data plan

I went to the att store and got the answer:  10 cents per minute plan (with sim card)

$15 - 150 minutes - expires in 30 days

$25 - 250 minutes - expires in 90 days

$50 - 500 minutes - expires in 90 days

$100 - 1000 minutes - expires in 1 year

Low cost Text packages for 10 cents per minute plan:

$19.99 - unlimited

$9.99 - 1000 messages

$4.99 - 200 messages

Message 2 of 7 (3,486 Views)
Master

That is correct. You can also use your Captivate smartphone like I am, too. The best part is - no data plan required whatsoever. That's the "freedom" of prepaid service.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 3 of 7 (3,466 Views)
Contributor

I have a samsung captivate also and I want to get a prepaid card for it. I am wondering - if I do not have a data plan can I still access wifi? and also will I be able to text?

Message 4 of 7 (3,076 Views)
Expert

yes you will have access to wifi and sms will work but you will have to either pay for each message or take a package for it so you are covered for your use.
Message 5 of 7 (3,069 Views)
Master

emswerner wrote:

I have a samsung captivate also and I want to get a prepaid card for it. I am wondering - if I do not have a data plan can I still access wifi? and also will I be able to text?

Yes, Wi-Fi is still accessible without a prepaid data plan. You will be able to use text messaging as well as MMS messaging if you'd like - there are no restrictions to this phone.

A good idea when wanting to use Wi-Fi is to deactivate the data network before you turn Wi-Fi on. That way, you will not incur any prepaid data charges if your Wi-Fi signal weakens and has to use 3G to keep the page/app open. I do this all the time and save my own butt from data charges. Smiley Tongue

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 6 of 7 (3,068 Views)
Contributor

One of the best ATT resellers is Puretalkusa.com where you can purchase a SIM card and service for as low as $10 a month and the minutes rollover. Absolutely amazing for pre-paid and on the ATT network. I have a BB9 and a WT790 I purchased from Yippz.com and they work flawlessly on the network no matter where in the US I am.
Message 7 of 7 (2,886 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support