Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 8, 2011
9:47:30 AM
Prepaid sim card with no data plan

I have an ATT Samsung Captivate Phone and I want to purchase a sim card with refillable prepaid minutes.  I am interested in a voice plan only; i.e., I am NOT interested in a data plan.  I also DO NOT prefer a plan that charges $1 or $2 per day for each day that a call is made.  I simply want to buy minutes on the sim card and be charged for actual minutes used (10 cents per minute?).

For Example, with T-mobile, I can I get a sim card with 1000 minutes for $100 that expires in one year -- no additional charges other than 10 cents per minute.  Does ATT have a similar plan?  How about a sim card with 500 minutes for $50 that expires in 6 months?  I heard that ATT sells a sim card with 150 minutes and 30-day expiration for $15 and no data plan required -- are there any other charges such as $1 or $2 per day for each day that a call is made?

Where can I go ONLINE to get more detail on what options are available?

Can I purchase the sim card with prepaid minutes online?  Where online?  Can I add minutes to the sim card online?  Where online?

I have an ATT Samsung Captivate Phone and I want to purchase a sim card with refillable prepaid minutes.  I am interested in a voice plan only; i.e., I am NOT interested in a data plan.  I also DO NOT prefer a plan that charges $1 or $2 per day for each day that a call is made.  I simply want to buy minutes on the sim card and be charged for actual minutes used (10 cents per minute?).

For Example, with T-mobile, I can I get a sim card with 1000 minutes for $100 that expires in one year -- no additional charges other than 10 cents per minute.  Does ATT have a similar plan?  How about a sim card with 500 minutes for $50 that expires in 6 months?  I heard that ATT sells a sim card with 150 minutes and 30-day expiration for $15 and no data plan required -- are there any other charges such as $1 or $2 per day for each day that a call is made?

Where can I go ONLINE to get more detail on what options are available?

Can I purchase the sim card with prepaid minutes online?  Where online?  Can I add minutes to the sim card online?  Where online?

Prepaid sim card with no data plan

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2011 12:17:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

I went to the att store and got the answer:  10 cents per minute plan (with sim card)

$15 - 150 minutes - expires in 30 days

$25 - 250 minutes - expires in 90 days

$50 - 500 minutes - expires in 90 days

$100 - 1000 minutes - expires in 1 year

Low cost Text packages for 10 cents per minute plan:

$19.99 - unlimited

$9.99 - 1000 messages

$4.99 - 200 messages

I went to the att store and got the answer:  10 cents per minute plan (with sim card)

$15 - 150 minutes - expires in 30 days

$25 - 250 minutes - expires in 90 days

$50 - 500 minutes - expires in 90 days

$100 - 1000 minutes - expires in 1 year

Low cost Text packages for 10 cents per minute plan:

$19.99 - unlimited

$9.99 - 1000 messages

$4.99 - 200 messages

Re: Prepaid sim card with no data plan

2 of 7 (3,378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2011 3:39:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
That is correct. You can also use your Captivate smartphone like I am, too. The best part is - no data plan required whatsoever. That's the "freedom" of prepaid service.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

That is correct. You can also use your Captivate smartphone like I am, too. The best part is - no data plan required whatsoever. That's the "freedom" of prepaid service.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 7 (3,358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2011 5:15:35 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have a samsung captivate also and I want to get a prepaid card for it. I am wondering - if I do not have a data plan can I still access wifi? and also will I be able to text?

I have a samsung captivate also and I want to get a prepaid card for it. I am wondering - if I do not have a data plan can I still access wifi? and also will I be able to text?

4 of 7 (2,968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2011 8:25:19 AM
(0)
Expert
yes you will have access to wifi and sms will work but you will have to either pay for each message or take a package for it so you are covered for your use.
yes you will have access to wifi and sms will work but you will have to either pay for each message or take a package for it so you are covered for your use.

5 of 7 (2,961 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2011 8:27:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

emswerner wrote:

Yes, Wi-Fi is still accessible without a prepaid data plan. You will be able to use text messaging as well as MMS messaging if you'd like - there are no restrictions to this phone.

A good idea when wanting to use Wi-Fi is to deactivate the data network before you turn Wi-Fi on. That way, you will not incur any prepaid data charges if your Wi-Fi signal weakens and has to use 3G to keep the page/app open. I do this all the time and save my own butt from data charges. Smiley Tongue

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

emswerner wrote:

Yes, Wi-Fi is still accessible without a prepaid data plan. You will be able to use text messaging as well as MMS messaging if you'd like - there are no restrictions to this phone.

A good idea when wanting to use Wi-Fi is to deactivate the data network before you turn Wi-Fi on. That way, you will not incur any prepaid data charges if your Wi-Fi signal weakens and has to use 3G to keep the page/app open. I do this all the time and save my own butt from data charges. Smiley Tongue

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 7 (2,960 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2011 10:32:14 AM
(0)
Contributor
One of the best ATT resellers is Puretalkusa.com where you can purchase a SIM card and service for as low as $10 a month and the minutes rollover. Absolutely amazing for pre-paid and on the ATT network. I have a BB9 and a WT790 I purchased from Yippz.com and they work flawlessly on the network no matter where in the US I am.
One of the best ATT resellers is Puretalkusa.com where you can purchase a SIM card and service for as low as $10 a month and the minutes rollover. Absolutely amazing for pre-paid and on the ATT network. I have a BB9 and a WT790 I purchased from Yippz.com and they work flawlessly on the network no matter where in the US I am.

7 of 7 (2,778 Views)