Prepaid "catch"

Guru

Prepaid "catch"

In my first post about the new $50 Monthly unlimited plan hme83 commented the corresponding post paid plan would cost twice that. And I was reading something on one of the Sprint boards that someone was commenting on why do prepaid customers get unlimited plans when post paid have to pay much more, and that got me thinking if there is something behind the scenes that is maybe unknown. The only disadvantages that I can think of is that prepaid provides less roaming coverage and from what I hear data rates are throttled. Just curious as to what anyone else thinks about this?

Message 1 of 21
Guru

Re: Prepaid "catch"

When I initially started this post I was just thinking that with my phone and my plan that it's almost too good to be true, although a lower price wouldn't hurt eitherSmiley Wink  But from the responses from both Hme83 and Wild Banchi  I guess the only real drawback to prepaid service is less coverage. But all that is pretty much negated if you live in an area with good service. I'd be really interested to see how much better the coverage is gonna be if the whole AT&T and TMobile merger goes down.

Message 16 of 21
Master

Yep, continental coverage seems to be not quite as good as post paid users. I would also have to agree with the merger - although, not much would probably change all that much. Maybe AT&T would "take over" T-Mobile's service towers and we'll see what goes from there. Smiley Tongue

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 17 of 21
Guru

Going by official statements from AT&T they are saying that they are going to integrate TMobiles towers with theirs, but from what I  understand although TMobile uses GSM they run on a different frequency or something like that. So it'd take some reworking to get it all flowing together.

Message 18 of 21
Master

Razr8 wrote:

Going by official statements from AT&T they are saying that they are going to integrate TMobiles towers with theirs, but from what I  understand although TMobile uses GSM they run on a different frequency or something like that. So it'd take some reworking to get it all flowing together.

T-Mobile uses the same GSM frequencies as at&t does - it's their 3G service that uses different frequencies.  I'd expect that if the merger goes through it probably will improve coverage in some areas of the country - for ex., Northern CA coverage suffered when at&t customers lost their ability to roam on the T-Mo network as it was providing much of the at&t coverage in that area.  While in other areas of the country, not much will change - in Oklahoma, for ex. T-Mo doesn't provide coverage even at the same level at&t does; so I wouldn't expect to see a coverage improvement, although hopefully network capacity could improve somewhat.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 19 of 21
Guru

I see, the differences are in their 3G service, thanks for the correction. Like I said before I'd like to see how the whole merger plays out. What I'm really eager to see is what change, if any, it's going to have on the price of their plans.

Message 20 of 21
Highlighted
Contributor

I have looked over all the plans and gophone plans seem to be the better way to go, I find it curious how at&t and others seem to feel a need to lock you into a 2yr deal and if you want a 1yr plan you cant do it in store its online only and that same phone thats free or $39 etc jumps up to over $200. They dont seem to get it that some cant or wont sign a 2yr deal and there missing out because then some switch to other companys and they lose business. I have looked at other companys like verizon and there high and i wont even go there and some of my friends have switched to metro pcs. Also best part about a prepaid is your not locked in and if you dont like it you can change. Next you would figure that plan prices would have come down more by now and until they do i'm not signing a 2yr deal because life changes alot in 2yrs and if you want to break a 2yr contract is going to cost you...alot.

Message 21 of 21
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Additional Support