Prepaid card gets charged for voice mail forwarding that I never receive

Contributor

Prepaid card gets charged for voice mail forwarding that I never receive

Hello,

I am using a pay as you go card. Since my apartment has very limited coverage, instead of ringing, my phone simply forwards to voice mail, but perhaps again due to the limited coverage, I don't receive the voicemails at all. This happens several times every day and I only find out about the voice mails I "supposedly" received from people telling me they called and left a message. This is only part of the problem. The issue that really bothers me is that I get charged 10 cents every time my phone forwards to voice mail to "record" messages that I never receive. So on days when I don't make any calls and don't receive any voice mails, I get charged a daily fee of $1, plus 10 cents "forwarding" fee for voicemails that I didn't even receive - sometimes 3-4 times a day. Please help me resolve this situation!

Message 1 of 4 (347 Views)
Master

Re: Prepaid card gets charged for voice mail forwarding that I never receive

Take a look at this post - it may give you some help.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Prepaid/At-amp-t-taking-money-from-me-for-a-year-for-unanswered-calls/m-p/2...

That said - I noticed the other day that I was also charged the daily use fee ($1) plus for a couple of minutes of airtime for a voice mail message that was left for me.  I've not been charged in the past, and it sounds like we are on the same older voice rate plan.  So it may be that at&t has changed how this plan is functioning. Smiley Sad  (If so, I may give up my prepaid line of service as 99.99% of the voice mails I receive are wrong numbers.)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 2 of 4 (330 Views)
Contributor

Thank you so much for this answer and for the link to the other post, they both helped me a lot! I will experiment with setting my time to ring to less than 30 seconds and if that does not make a difference, then maybe you are right - perhaps they changed how the plan is functioning and are now charging for receiving voice mails. This will be very disappointing - I got this plan to cut down on costs associated with a contractual rate plan, since I don't use my phone every day, but with this problem, the pay as you go service turns out to be more pricey than a basic monthly plan. I will be back with updates for everyone if I find a solution or at least an explanation from customer service.

Message 3 of 4 (315 Views)
Master

You're welcome. Smiley Happy And hopefully my recent experience was just a one time fluke.
                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 4 of 4 (310 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.