Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 27, 2011
11:17:09 AM
View profile
Prepaid account SIM card in a gophone

This has probably been asked over 9000 times, but heregoes:

I'm an ATT customer that does the prepay thing. My current cell phone's touch screen died on me recently, so I've been looking to replace it. I found a good looking cheap phone on ATT's website (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/packages/packages-details.jsp?q_package=sku5190238) and was thinking about it. 

This phone i'm looking at, however, is a GoPhone. Someone told me there might be a problem transfering my SIM card (prepaid, non gophone account) to this GoPhone. Is there actually a problem?

As a side question, with the $50 unlimited text/talk/web plan I saw on the website, how easy would it be for me to transfer to that plan?

Thanks

I'm an ATT customer that does the prepay thing. My current cell phone's touch screen died on me recently, so I've been looking to replace it. I found a good looking cheap phone on ATT's website (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/packages/packages-details.jsp?q_package=sku5190238) and was thinking about it. 

This phone i'm looking at, however, is a GoPhone. Someone told me there might be a problem transfering my SIM card (prepaid, non gophone account) to this GoPhone. Is there actually a problem?

As a side question, with the $50 unlimited text/talk/web plan I saw on the website, how easy would it be for me to transfer to that plan?

Thanks

Prepaid account SIM card in a gophone

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2011 9:13:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

slapo12 wrote:

Thanks

A little confused - you are an existing prepaid account user? If you're not under an existing GoPhone account, I'm assuming that you have a Pick Your Plan type deal instead?

As long as you have a prepaid SIM card, you should easily be able to place it in your new phone and have it working right away. There should not be any errors, as long as you're using a prepaid SIM card.

Again, assuming that you're a Pick Your Plan customer, it would be very simple to switch your plan to the $50 Unlimited plan. All you would need to do is dial 611 from your phone and change your plan over. You can even switch your plan from your online account, I believe.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

slapo12 wrote:

Thanks

A little confused - you are an existing prepaid account user? If you're not under an existing GoPhone account, I'm assuming that you have a Pick Your Plan type deal instead?

As long as you have a prepaid SIM card, you should easily be able to place it in your new phone and have it working right away. There should not be any errors, as long as you're using a prepaid SIM card.

Again, assuming that you're a Pick Your Plan customer, it would be very simple to switch your plan to the $50 Unlimited plan. All you would need to do is dial 611 from your phone and change your plan over. You can even switch your plan from your online account, I believe.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Prepaid account SIM card in a gophone

2 of 5 (562 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2011 4:26:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on Aug 1, 2011 at 4:30:30 AM

Just don't activate the phone with the SIM that comes with the new phone before using your existing SIM in it, and it should work just fine.

And the other thing you may want to confirm prior to switching your plan (assuming you are a PYP customer currently) is the coverage under at&t's Pay As You Go service - in some areas it's not the same as PYP coverage (which is virtually the same as post paid coverage).  Because the PYP plans are no longer offered, you won't be able to return to PYP service if you find the PayGo coverage isn't adequate for your needs.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Just don't activate the phone with the SIM that comes with the new phone before using your existing SIM in it, and it should work just fine.

And the other thing you may want to confirm prior to switching your plan (assuming you are a PYP customer currently) is the coverage under at&t's Pay As You Go service - in some areas it's not the same as PYP coverage (which is virtually the same as post paid coverage).  Because the PYP plans are no longer offered, you won't be able to return to PYP service if you find the PayGo coverage isn't adequate for your needs.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
3 of 5 (509 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2011 9:47:47 AM
(0)
Contributor

Does anyone know if its possible to activate a new sim card to an existing GoPhone account without having to buy a new rate plan???

Does anyone know if its possible to activate a new sim card to an existing GoPhone account without having to buy a new rate plan???

4 of 5 (494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2011 3:44:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

jayhin22 wrote:

You should be able to by visiting an at&t Corporate store - just tell them you've lost your SIM and need to obtain a new one with your existing account/plan information, balance, and phone number.  They may try to charge you for the replacement SIM, but if so you should also be able to avoid the charge by adding funds to your account while in the store.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

jayhin22 wrote:

You should be able to by visiting an at&t Corporate store - just tell them you've lost your SIM and need to obtain a new one with your existing account/plan information, balance, and phone number.  They may try to charge you for the replacement SIM, but if so you should also be able to avoid the charge by adding funds to your account while in the store.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

5 of 5 (457 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments