Prepaid Sim Only available?

Contributor

Prepaid Sim Only available?

Hi,

I'm going to be in San Francisco for 3 months this summer and I'm looking for a sim only plan. In previous years I've used MetroPCS, which is a sim free disposable cell phone kind fo thing, but I recently got an iPhone 4s. I'm looking at the prepaid $50/month plan because I use a lot of minutes/data/messaging equally but it looks to me that when you go to buy one online that they bring up the page for shopping goPhones. Is it possible to get this plan as a sim only plan?

And also, that's a monthly plan right? All this news about only monthly plans recieving data now, it doesn't affect this plan?

I've been looking at T Mobile and a few others, but this is the cheapest unlimited plan I've seen, plus the international texts back home for the summer..

Thanks Smiley Happy

Carrie

Message 1 of 4 (3,380 Views)
Scholar

Re: Prepaid Sim Only available?

Carrie_IRL wrote:

Hi,

I'm going to be in San Francisco for 3 months this summer and I'm looking for a sim only plan. In previous years I've used MetroPCS, which is a sim free disposable cell phone kind fo thing, but I recently got an iPhone 4s. I'm looking at the prepaid $50/month plan because I use a lot of minutes/data/messaging equally but it looks to me that when you go to buy one online that they bring up the page for shopping goPhones. Is it possible to get this plan as a sim only plan?

And also, that's a monthly plan right? All this news about only monthly plans recieving data now, it doesn't affect this plan?

I've been looking at T Mobile and a few others, but this is the cheapest unlimited plan I've seen, plus the international texts back home for the summer..

The $50 monthly plan doesn't give you unlimited data with a smartphone. Since you use an iPhone, you'll need to sign up with one of the data feature packages in order to use data on your phone and for a heavy data user, the $25/1GB might be a bit too steep.

Message 2 of 4 (3,350 Views)
Contributor

But on the table on this page, http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/pyg-cell-phone-plans.jsp?wtSlotClick...

under the $50 monthly unlimited plan, it indicates unlimited calls, texts and data as opposed to the $25 monthly plan where it specifically says you must add on a package. So why do you pay $50 if it doesn't include the data? It's not considered pay per use, as it's unlimited so it should be eligible on a smart phone.

Sorry, I just want to make sure I have all this right before I land and get stuck for a month or have to pay way more than I need to.

Message 3 of 4 (3,340 Views)
Mentor

There is a big fat cross right next to the unlimited plan and if you read the details it says it's only for feature phones. Smart phones must buy a data package.
Message 4 of 4 (3,325 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.