Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 13, 2011
1:46:15 PM
Pre-order common sense???

Wouldn't it be common sense for AT&T (and any other seller) to only allow pre-orders for the amount that they are going to have instead of letting unlimited amout of people pre-order and complaining bc they wont get them on release date?  Also should't it be if you pre-order from a store you are put on a list to be able to pick one up at the store????  I don't think that it is fair that everyone (including me) who has "preorded" may not be able to get their phone before the general public who are going to be walking into the stores starting tomorrow.  EVERY pre-order should be taken care of before they are avalable in stores for walk in buying. 

Wouldn't it be common sense for AT&T (and any other seller) to only allow pre-orders for the amount that they are going to have instead of letting unlimited amout of people pre-order and complaining bc they wont get them on release date?  Also should't it be if you pre-order from a store you are put on a list to be able to pick one up at the store????  I don't think that it is fair that everyone (including me) who has "preorded" may not be able to get their phone before the general public who are going to be walking into the stores starting tomorrow.  EVERY pre-order should be taken care of before they are avalable in stores for walk in buying. 

Pre-order common sense???

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 1:49:09 PM
(0)
Mentor

if this was facebook i would click like. (i apparently cant give kudos yet either).

if this was facebook i would click like. (i apparently cant give kudos yet either).

Re: Pre-order common sense???

2 of 10 (404 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 1:49:26 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by spd2demun on Oct 13, 2011 at 1:50:00 PM

I don't know their procedure, but I'd guess that the pre-orders are already set aside since they are paid for.  So whatever isn't pre-ordered is surplus for walk-ins?

I don't know their procedure, but I'd guess that the pre-orders are already set aside since they are paid for.  So whatever isn't pre-ordered is surplus for walk-ins?

[ Edited ]
3 of 10 (401 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 1:52:32 PM
(0)
Tutor

@pc..same here.  I wanted to give the post 'kudos' but could not.  Too new.  The pre order process is pretty much a real bummer. 

@pc..same here.  I wanted to give the post 'kudos' but could not.  Too new.  The pre order process is pretty much a real bummer. 

4 of 10 (386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 2:01:48 PM
(0)
Teacher

The more preorders they take means the bigger numbers they can show their shareholders. You seem to think ATT cares about you or something lol....

The more preorders they take means the bigger numbers they can show their shareholders. You seem to think ATT cares about you or something lol....

5 of 10 (349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 2:46:27 PM
(0)
Teacher

I was flabergasted when I pre-ordered in store and they told me I couldn't pick it up at the store.  

Wait... what?  You mean my package might be 2 weeks late and it will be left sitting unsecured at my door all day while I'm at work?  That makes more sense to you guys then shipping it to your store and allowing those who preordered it to pick it up there?

The more that comes out about this entire process, the more I think AT&T is just one giant, faceless company who just doesn't care anymore.  They're so big that they don't think they can fail.

I was flabergasted when I pre-ordered in store and they told me I couldn't pick it up at the store.  

Wait... what?  You mean my package might be 2 weeks late and it will be left sitting unsecured at my door all day while I'm at work?  That makes more sense to you guys then shipping it to your store and allowing those who preordered it to pick it up there?

The more that comes out about this entire process, the more I think AT&T is just one giant, faceless company who just doesn't care anymore.  They're so big that they don't think they can fail.

6 of 10 (284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 2:54:44 PM
(0)
Guru

yenom2003 wrote:

If they cut off the preorders at the point where they wouldn't be able to get them to people on the first day, people would complain that they weren't allowed to pre-order.  If they used up all of their available stock filling pre-orders, the people standing in line on release day would be upset about not getting to buy a phone.  No matter what they do, there are going to be people who wanted a phone on day one that aren't going to be able to get one, and so are going to be upset.  They've tried a number of different ways of upsetting the fewest number of people over the years, none of them entirely successful.

They have a limited amount of stock, less than the demand for the phone.  They want to have people coming in the stores to buy phones, as foot traffic is good for the store in a wide variety of ways.  They don't want ALL of the phones being picked up in person, as they don't have sufficient capacity in the stores to handle it.  So they reserve some for sale in the stores, and make the rest availalbe to pre-order online.

I'm don't know why neither Apple nor AT&T are letting people pick pre-orders up in store.  Possibly because people who waited a long time in line last year with no preorder got annoyed that people who waited a lot less time than they did got in to the store first.  Possibly because they just didn't want to deal with 2 different lines of people waiting for the stores to open.  I know in San Francisco where last year the sidewalk where we were waiting was almost entirely shut down to any other traffic for several hours.

And they can't just wait until they have enough stock for opening day, for a variety of reasons.  Firstly, they don't know how many people will be buying it.  Secondly, that would delay the release of the phone even longer, as they built up stock.  So not only would the phone come out later, but they would have to pay to store the stockpile of phones they were building up.

There isn't a perfect solution.  But considering that AT&T has said that this was the best iPhone launch they've had, and it is actually the fewest complaints I've seen here in response to one, I'd say they are doing a good job of setting things up to annoy the fewest people they can.

yenom2003 wrote:

If they cut off the preorders at the point where they wouldn't be able to get them to people on the first day, people would complain that they weren't allowed to pre-order.  If they used up all of their available stock filling pre-orders, the people standing in line on release day would be upset about not getting to buy a phone.  No matter what they do, there are going to be people who wanted a phone on day one that aren't going to be able to get one, and so are going to be upset.  They've tried a number of different ways of upsetting the fewest number of people over the years, none of them entirely successful.

They have a limited amount of stock, less than the demand for the phone.  They want to have people coming in the stores to buy phones, as foot traffic is good for the store in a wide variety of ways.  They don't want ALL of the phones being picked up in person, as they don't have sufficient capacity in the stores to handle it.  So they reserve some for sale in the stores, and make the rest availalbe to pre-order online.

I'm don't know why neither Apple nor AT&T are letting people pick pre-orders up in store.  Possibly because people who waited a long time in line last year with no preorder got annoyed that people who waited a lot less time than they did got in to the store first.  Possibly because they just didn't want to deal with 2 different lines of people waiting for the stores to open.  I know in San Francisco where last year the sidewalk where we were waiting was almost entirely shut down to any other traffic for several hours.

And they can't just wait until they have enough stock for opening day, for a variety of reasons.  Firstly, they don't know how many people will be buying it.  Secondly, that would delay the release of the phone even longer, as they built up stock.  So not only would the phone come out later, but they would have to pay to store the stockpile of phones they were building up.

There isn't a perfect solution.  But considering that AT&T has said that this was the best iPhone launch they've had, and it is actually the fewest complaints I've seen here in response to one, I'd say they are doing a good job of setting things up to annoy the fewest people they can.

7 of 10 (267 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 2:56:41 PM
(0)
Scholar
So, if you preordered at the store, they ship it to you? But they will have stock on Friday, for people who didn't preorder, and they can have it that day? Is that right? I'm not a part of the iPhone pre order, so it doesnt effect me, but that seems a bit unfair. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.
So, if you preordered at the store, they ship it to you? But they will have stock on Friday, for people who didn't preorder, and they can have it that day? Is that right? I'm not a part of the iPhone pre order, so it doesnt effect me, but that seems a bit unfair. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

8 of 10 (265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 3:06:14 PM
(0)
Mentor
I agree that preorders should continue after initial stock is depleted. But delivery estimates should have been given in near real time.

How hard is it to realize that customer 200,010 is not going to get the phone for a few weeks, and then relay that message at checkout?

Were they unaware of how many phones they could sell?
I agree that preorders should continue after initial stock is depleted. But delivery estimates should have been given in near real time.

How hard is it to realize that customer 200,010 is not going to get the phone for a few weeks, and then relay that message at checkout?

9 of 10 (242 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 3:39:44 PM
(0)
Guru

marty112 wrote:

Possibly not.  The phones are being made as quickly as they can, so they very well might not have known exactly how many would be available by release day.

And even if they did know exactly how many they would have, they were selling them at a rate of several per second.  Which is to say that even if your order process went extremely quickly, likely several hundred phones were sold while any one person went through the process of buying theirs.  When you are only selling a few hundred of a particular product a day a system like you mention might be mostly possible.  But when you are selling two hundred thousand of them in 12 hours it is difficult if not impossible to keep up with it.  In the time it takes for the system to figure out whether or not there is still stock left for any particular order, the stock has changed.  If you trigger off of reserving a phone as soon as they've picked the kind of handset they want, you have to deal with people that are just going through the order process for information but aren't actually planning on purchasing one yet.

The scale is just too big for most people to wrap their heads around very easily.

marty112 wrote:

Possibly not.  The phones are being made as quickly as they can, so they very well might not have known exactly how many would be available by release day.

And even if they did know exactly how many they would have, they were selling them at a rate of several per second.  Which is to say that even if your order process went extremely quickly, likely several hundred phones were sold while any one person went through the process of buying theirs.  When you are only selling a few hundred of a particular product a day a system like you mention might be mostly possible.  But when you are selling two hundred thousand of them in 12 hours it is difficult if not impossible to keep up with it.  In the time it takes for the system to figure out whether or not there is still stock left for any particular order, the stock has changed.  If you trigger off of reserving a phone as soon as they've picked the kind of handset they want, you have to deal with people that are just going through the order process for information but aren't actually planning on purchasing one yet.

The scale is just too big for most people to wrap their heads around very easily.

10 of 10 (201 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments