Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 14, 2011
2:26:11 PM
Pre Order GOTO THE STORE!

Hello again,

I pre ordered on 10/08. When I pre ordered, the manager advised me "you probably wont get the phone for 3 weeks". I agreed. Today I observed a few posts in regards to people who pre ordered were allowed to go back to the store they ordered from and cancel their order, and buy from the store. Well, I am VERY HAPPY to report I did just that and now have a brand new 4s in shiny white. 

Here was my strategy, and I am not guarantying that it will work for you:

Drive to the store, dont call ahead.

Ask if they have what you want in stock.

Pull the party aside and ask to speak in private.

Tell the ATT person what you have been reading in the forums regarding cancelling pre orders and ordering from the store.

I was immediately confronted with some opposition, "well, Im not sure if that can be done...you may have to buy a phone 1st at full cost and return the phone you get delivered...Let me check".

Well, he was about the nicest sales manager I have ever met ATT or other. He spent an hour trying to figure out how to do what I had asked. Lo and behold, he said he could, and would do it. Another 30 minutes later, and I have the 4s. 

LET ME BE CLEAR...this guy bent over backwards for me, he advised that they are not supposed to do this, and it only works if your item has not shipped (as well as another requirement that he would not divulge).

Bottom line is, try the steps above, HOPE that you have a sales rep that actually cares, and that the store is not busy.

Good luck guys.....

Hello again,

I pre ordered on 10/08. When I pre ordered, the manager advised me "you probably wont get the phone for 3 weeks". I agreed. Today I observed a few posts in regards to people who pre ordered were allowed to go back to the store they ordered from and cancel their order, and buy from the store. Well, I am VERY HAPPY to report I did just that and now have a brand new 4s in shiny white. 

Here was my strategy, and I am not guarantying that it will work for you:

Drive to the store, dont call ahead.

Ask if they have what you want in stock.

Pull the party aside and ask to speak in private.

Tell the ATT person what you have been reading in the forums regarding cancelling pre orders and ordering from the store.

I was immediately confronted with some opposition, "well, Im not sure if that can be done...you may have to buy a phone 1st at full cost and return the phone you get delivered...Let me check".

Well, he was about the nicest sales manager I have ever met ATT or other. He spent an hour trying to figure out how to do what I had asked. Lo and behold, he said he could, and would do it. Another 30 minutes later, and I have the 4s. 

LET ME BE CLEAR...this guy bent over backwards for me, he advised that they are not supposed to do this, and it only works if your item has not shipped (as well as another requirement that he would not divulge).

Bottom line is, try the steps above, HOPE that you have a sales rep that actually cares, and that the store is not busy.

Good luck guys.....

Pre Order GOTO THE STORE!

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 2:35:56 PM
(0)
Teacher
I just tried this, and they would not do it, because, apparently, you can only cancel an order before it has been PROCESSED, not SHIPPED... I'm done with AT&T...
I just tried this, and they would not do it, because, apparently, you can only cancel an order before it has been PROCESSED, not SHIPPED... I'm done with AT&T...

Re: Pre Order GOTO THE STORE!

2 of 6 (233 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 2:39:37 PM
(0)
Professor
It would make sense that your can't cancel an order after it's been shipped. It's out of AT&Ts hands at that time and with a carrier on it's way to you. You'll get it what, Monday? You could just wait until then.

If it's only in processed status, AT&T still has it and has a chance to stop it going out.
It would make sense that your can't cancel an order after it's been shipped. It's out of AT&Ts hands at that time and with a carrier on it's way to you. You'll get it what, Monday? You could just wait until then.

If it's only in processed status, AT&T still has it and has a chance to stop it going out.

3 of 6 (218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 2:40:22 PM
(0)
Teacher

The store in Muscle Shoals wouldn't allow me to cancel my preorder even though it hadn't processed or anything.  Was still on backorder.  No matter how much I argued, they wouldn't let me.

The store in Muscle Shoals wouldn't allow me to cancel my preorder even though it hadn't processed or anything.  Was still on backorder.  No matter how much I argued, they wouldn't let me.

4 of 6 (217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 2:40:37 PM
(0)
Professor

im going to my local apple store now they have white 16 GB instock. and the coporate store has some in stock also.

going now.

im going to my local apple store now they have white 16 GB instock. and the coporate store has some in stock also.

going now.

hello!!!

5 of 6 (214 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 2:43:51 PM
(0)
Tutor

The 3 things that were in my favor and were critical to pulling this off were:

The guy was knowledgeable, professional and actually cared.

The store was not busy (3pm est)

They had some 4s's in stock.

Good luck!

The 3 things that were in my favor and were critical to pulling this off were:

The guy was knowledgeable, professional and actually cared.

The store was not busy (3pm est)

They had some 4s's in stock.

Good luck!

6 of 6 (207 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments