Potential AT & T customer, have questions about prices and some details...

Potential AT & T customer, have questions about prices and some details...

[ Edited ]

Hey guys. So Im a Sprint user at the moment. Im in a family plan with my mom and dad.

I was hoping to switch over to AT & T so I can get the iPhone 4 plus I don't like Sprint. Our contract is over so we can switch.

I just kind of wanted to get the exact payment details if possible.

From what I understand, to have 3 people under the cheapest family plan, it is 59.99 for 2 lines, and another 9.99 for 1 more.

So for the 3 lines, well be paying 70 dollars a month.

Now because I am getting an iPhone, I am REQUIRED to pay for a data plan correct? So the least I can pay is 15 a month.

Now, would my parents also pay 15 dollars for their lines even though they DONT have smart phones or do they have to pay for data plans if they have smart phones? How does that work?

Lets say they get 2 regular phones and I get an iPhone 4. From what I understand that is 85 dollars a month correct?

I also see activation fees. Because we have 3 lines, it means $36 + $26 + $26 I believe. Am I correct?

I was also gonna ask about roaming. Am I NOT going to be charged for roaming with AT & T? If not Id LOVE to switch cause roaming is a rip off.

It also says free mobile to mobile? This means I can all any AT & T user without using my minutes?

And what about rollover minutes? How many months does that keep adding up? An example would be great.

Im also a bit worried. We have 3 BlackBerries, but with Sprint we dont have to pay for a data plan. Can my parents keep the blackberries and just put in AT & Ts sim card in? We dont wanna buy new phones and have to pay for data plans.

Also, if they can keep the BlackBerries, are they REQUIRED to get a data plan with them?

EDIT: Also, the data plan for the iPhone. 200 MB. What goes under that? What would be considered at "data" usage? I wanna make sure I dont exceed my limit.

Thanks for your time.

Message 1 of 16 (343 Views)
Professor

Re: Potential AT & T customer, have questions about prices and some details...

I'll try to answer a couple of questions at a time, to give others a chance here:

• There is no roaming anywhere in the US, PR, or US Virgin Islands
  • I dont think you can bring your current phones over
  • Data plans are not required for non-smartphones
  • Yes, mobile to mobile means free to anyone your calling or getting calls from that is ATT mobile
Message 2 of 16 (335 Views)
Professor

• You are correct with the activation fees
  • Rollover minutes accrue for 12 months, after that the oldest minutes will expire by the month, not all at once
  • 200MB is great for just some emailing and light internet browsing, but anything over that you might want to consider the 2GB plan
Message 3 of 16 (330 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

I'll try to answer a couple of questions at a time, to give others a chance here:

* There is no roaming anywhere in the US, PR, or US Virgin Islands
    * I dont think you can bring your current phones over
    * Data plans are not required for non-smartphones
    * Yes, mobile to mobile means free to anyone your calling or getting calls from that is ATT mobile
    * You are correct with the activation fees
    * Rollover minutes accrue for 12 months, after that the oldest minutes will expire by the month, not all at once
    * 200MB is great for just some emailing and light internet browsing, but anything over that you might want to consider the 2GB plan

Ok so no roaming charges, thats great.

I cannot bring the BlackBerries over, thats unfortunate but thank you.

Can I know which of the following are NOT smartphones?

Samsung Solstice

Motorola Backflip

Samsung Mythic

Sharp FX

Samsung Impression

It seems like any good phone is a smartphone and honestly I feel like AT & T is ripping me off. 15 dollars a month each for smart phones?

So if my whole family had smart phones, wed all be paying 45 a month additional just for a mere 200MB each? What the heck am I supposed to do with 200MB? Am I getting something wrong here?

I really really want to switch but I dont exactly think my parents will be ok with being forced to pay 45 dollars for basically nothing and having to revert to a crappy phone.

I really like the mobile-mobile thing. Thats definitely a plus.

So from the sounds of it, rollover minutes arent something I gotta worry about.

So new questions now...

Does AT & T record your texts or other things to view them online? Do they show up on the bill? Im a person who believes in privacy and its a turn off knowing my parents can read my texts. The company will store them in case of a crime situation or something like that, but can I or my parents go view it online or on the bill?

Is there anything we could do with our BlackBerries like exchange them at the store or use them to get some sort of discount or anything at all?

Also, is there any sort of discounts or savings? My dad got quite a few discounts from Sprint because he was a high school teacher. He is now an assistant professor for the state of NY. Could we get any deals maybe?

EDIT: I can check my usage online right? How bout through my phone? Is there a number I can call without having to pay?

Are there any other fees other than the monthly bill, data plan and activation fees?

I can port my number over I believe? To make it easier for my parents, could they transfer their contacts from their old phones to the new?

Thanks for your time again. This is really helpful.

Message 4 of 16 (314 Views)
Guru

Reaper2794 wrote:

So new questions now...

Does AT & T record your texts or other things to view them online? Do they show up on the bill? Im a person who believes in privacy and its a turn off knowing my parents can read my texts. The company will store them in case of a crime situation or something like that, but can I or my parents go view it online or on the bill?

No, AT&T is not able to see the content of the messages sent or received, it can only be seen through the phone that sent or received the message.

Is there anything we could do with our BlackBerries like exchange them at the store or use them to get some sort of discount or anything at all?

If you already have a phone you can ask for a month-to-month service, meaning that you won't be asked to sign for a 2-year contract. I don't know if AT&T stores have a phone exchange program.

Also, is there any sort of discounts or savings? My dad got quite a few discounts from Sprint because he was a high school teacher. He is now an assistant professor for the state of NY. Could we get any deals maybe?

It depends if the place where you work offer special discounts if yuo have an AT&T service. You would need to ask there if they have a discount agreement with AT&T.

EDIT: I can check my usage online right? How bout through my phone? Is there a number I can call without having to pay?

You can use the *services to check you minutes, data usage, balance of the account or even to make payments. These would be:

*729 SEND     PAYMENTS
*225#SEND     BALANCE
*646# SEND     MINUTES
*3282# SEND     DATA

Are there any other fees other than the monthly bill, data plan and activation fees?

Only the prorated charges of the first month of service. Remember that you will be billed in advance, meaning that you will pay the first month of usage from the day you activated the service until the last day of bill cycle and the monthly charge of the next bill cycle, and of course plus the Data Plan and its prorated charge and the Activation fee.

I can port my number over I believe? To make it easier for my parents, could they transfer their contacts from their old phones to the new?

You can transfer the contacts using the old SIM card in the new phone. Or if you will be using your current phone with an AT&T SIM card you can save the contacts in the phone.

Thanks for your time again. This is really helpful.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 16 (301 Views)

kudos! for that big response

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 16 (291 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok just wanted to clear some things up.

You mentioned a month-month service? Since whens that available? We can do that? Whats the catch?

If I call any of those numbers for services, do I get charged? I know Sprint charged me for calling their help line

Im a bit confused about the "prorated charges". All I saw was bill cycle and all these words xD Mind clearing it up?

Samsung Solstice

Motorola Backflip

Samsung Mythic

Sharp FX

Samsung Impression

It seems like any good phone is a smartphone and honestly I feel like AT & T is ripping me off. 15 dollars a month each for smart phones?

So if my whole family had smart phones, wed all be paying 45 a month additional just for a mere 200MB each? What the heck am I supposed to do with 200MB? Am I getting something wrong here?

I really really want to switch but I dont exactly think my parents will be ok with being forced to pay 45 dollars for basically nothing and having to revert to a crappy phone.

Thank you

Message 7 of 16 (279 Views)
Guru

Reaper2794 wrote:

Ok just wanted to clear some things up.

You mentioned a month-month service? Since whens that available? We can do that? Whats the catch?

Yes, you can do it. You can ask for it if you already have a phone to use it with the AT&T service (taking in consideration that you said you own a Blackberry), it doesn't apply contract because the 2-year contract is only applied if you buy a phone at commitment price.

If I call any of those numbers for services, do I get charged? I know Sprint charged me for calling their help line

No. Calling the 611 from your phone or the 800 331-0500 is free.

Im a bit confused about the "prorated charges". All I saw was bill cycle and all these words xD Mind clearing it up?

Yup. Prorated charge is the monthly fee (or credit depending of the change you make) that is applied if you change, add or remove a plan or feature during the bill cycle. Example: You add an Unlimited Messaging feature of $20 15 days before the end of your bill cycle. You would be charged in the next bill the advanced monthly fee of $20 plus $10 for those 15 days you had the service. Same with the new activation, you activate your line and you will be charged in your first bill the first days you had the service until the last day of bill cycle plus the advanced monthly fee. That would be only in the first bill, after that you will only be charged the normal monthly fee.

The bolded ones are not smartphones

Samsung Solstice

Motorola Backflip

Samsung Mythic

Sharp FX

Samsung Impression

$15.00 for 200MB or $25.00 for 2GB. Smartphones are data-hungry devices and not always you will have Wi-Fi. Also remeber that all mayor carriers already require Data Plans in smartphones, AT&T was the last carrier to require it.

If you think you will be using more than 200MB, again, you can add the 2GB feature for $25.00. And yes, it would be for each smartphone.

There are already good regular feature phones that don't require a Data Plan. One of them is the Samsung Mythic, I highly recommend it if you want a good feature phone without having to pay for a Data Plan.

Thank you

Message 8 of 16 (272 Views)

Thank you VERY much. Knowing those 3 phones aren't smart phones really lightened the load on me. This'll really help in convincing my parents to switch haha.

So my parents CAN use their BlackBerries with AT & T? They just gotta get AT & Ts sim card or what?

Im very very glad, now only Ill have to pay for the data plan and my parents wont. This is great ^_^

Message 9 of 16 (265 Views)
Scholar

Reaper2794 wrote:

Thank you VERY much. Knowing those 3 phones aren't smart phones really lightened the load on me. This'll really help in convincing my parents to switch haha.

Glad to hear. I think you will be much happier with AT&T.

So my parents CAN use their BlackBerries with AT & T? They just gotta get AT & Ts sim card or what?

The only way to use another carriers phone, on AT&T is to have the phone unlocked. Go to eBay and search for unlock Blackberry _____(whatever kind they have). You can usually pay someone a few dollars and get a code to unlock it. They will give you instructions there how to do it. Then you can use it on AT&T. Or they may get to the store and find a phone they like. Tell them to look at store first, before wasting money to unlock phone. 

Im very very glad, now only Ill have to pay for the data plan and my parents wont. This is great ^_^

Also you ask what you're getting for the extra $45 for the 3 smartphones(if they decide to keep their BBerry's)...Honestly they get to use them up to the 200MB usage, plus with AT&T you aren't paying extra for roaming(I honestly didn't know companies still charged for this inside the US). Also you get to keep rollover minutes. You'll also be a happier customer. Sometimes you have to pay extra, to get what you want...

Message 10 of 16 (253 Views)
Contributor

If you don't mind part-time customer "care" and some of the highest prices per minute - come on over! Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 16 (192 Views)

I think Reaper2794  will be a very good customer because he/she ask everything before getting a contract . So no surprises , no lies ,  no excuses.  Everyone will need  what Reaper2794  did.

Message 12 of 16 (181 Views)
Professor

Yeah, this thread has a lot of great into, I kudosed all info posts. Great questions!
Message 13 of 16 (167 Views)
Professor

jasondrowley, your post doesn't make much sense.

A lot of employees came together to answer lots of questions just in this thread.

Very contradictory to your post.
Message 14 of 16 (162 Views)
Professor

Sprint is not GSM, so the Blackberries won't have sim card slots and won't be compatible with the AT&T network. Your parents will have to choose new devices. Also, if they choose a feature phone and you all get the family texting plan, they can add unlimited data for $10. This is only for dumbphones and feature phones. Which, by the way, I didn't see you mention texting in your totals. Texting is not included and the family texting plan is $30 per month.

Message 15 of 16 (155 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.