Post vs Pre Paid

Contributor

Post vs Pre Paid

I have three lines on contract and I pay almost $200 every month after a discount through my school.

I have 700 minutes, unlimited texting and 200mb data on 2 lines and 2gb on one.  No iphones.

On the other hand, if I would NOT have signed a contract, I could get 3 prepaid lines for $50 each with unlimited everything, plus texting to Canada which I do not have right now.

Unfortunately, the prepaid plan came out a few months after I signed the contract, but the question is.. Why is At&t charging its contract customers more and giving them less.  Can anything be done about this? Can I get prepaid pricing on contract or will I just have to wait until my contract is over?  This is really frustrating.

Message 1 of 4 (246 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Post vs Pre Paid

On prepaid, you cannot roam on the roaming partners, so you may see a big difference in your coverage area. That is what you pay a premium for.
You cannot get prepaid pricing on contract.
You will have to wait until your contract expires or pay a termination fee to get out of your contract.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4 (243 Views)
Scholar

wmcookie wrote:

I have three lines on contract and I pay almost $200 every month after a discount through my school.

I have 700 minutes, unlimited texting and 200mb data on 2 lines and 2gb on one.  No iphones.

On the other hand, if I would NOT have signed a contract, I could get 3 prepaid lines for $50 each with unlimited everything, plus texting to Canada which I do not have right now.

Unfortunately, the prepaid plan came out a few months after I signed the contract, but the question is.. Why is At&t charging its contract customers more and giving them less.  Can anything be done about this? Can I get prepaid pricing on contract or will I just have to wait until my contract is over?  This is really frustrating.

Is $200/month including taxes?

Rollover Nation 700: $70 (Lines 1&2)

Add-a-line 3: $10

Family Unlimited Texting: $30

Line 1 200MB: $15

Line 2 200MB: $15

Line 3 2GB: $25

TOTAL: $165 before taxes

If you have a FAN discount, more than likely, your total would be around $160~180 after taxes. Would you happen to have other services on your bill? Phone insurance, etc?

As for why postpaid is more expensive, with prepaid, you pay for the device. With postpaid, the device subsidy is built-in to the cost of the plan. A shame that AT&T doesn't have something similar to T-Mobile's Value Plan where you get lower rates if you bring your own device.

Unfortunately, you can't get prepaid pricing while on contract. Another thing to keep in mind is the unlimited data included in the $50 GoPhone plan only applies to feature phones - that means no Android, Blackberry, iOS or WP7 unless you can find a non-AT&T branded smartphone which the system will just think is a feature/dumbphone.

Message 3 of 4 (209 Views)
Professor

wmcookie wrote:

Frustrating it is. When you get to try prepaid, I suggest that you buy one phone from a MVNO that has prepaid business only. You may be pleasantly surprised by what you find. You can get a phone that is served by one of the major carriers including Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint. With the MVNO, roaming is not an issue since they partner with carriers all over the country. In case anyone wonders, I am just a happy customer and I am NOT affiliated with any of the MVNO's.

Proud owner of Verizon phone, AT&T phone, and Tracfone.

Message 4 of 4 (204 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.