Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 8, 2012
3:26:29 PM
View profile
Porting unlocked T-mobile Huwei Comet Phone to AT&T
Edited by Taylarie on Jan 8, 2012 at 4:58:35 PM

After much talking with AT&T technical support I was going to give up and send back my new SIM card, but I got it working. Here is the story.

I have a T-mobile Huwei Comet pay as you go  that I used to roam onto AT&T networks during frequent travel outside of T-mobile coverage. In December data roaming was cancelled without notice. After many hours with T-mobile support that was the outcome. So T-mobile gave me the unlock code and I bought an AT&T SIM on the web and unlocked and activated the phone. The phone worked fine but no data. After much time with technical support from AT&T and an attempt to give me an APN to type in it still didn't work. But I have found that minimal info is needed for the data to work. Just go into

Settings

Wireless & networks

Mobile Networks

Access Point Names

Then add a new APN with the following:

• Name: ATT WAP
  • APN:  wap.cingular

Everything else should be left blank or unchanged.

Go to menu and Save.

Then Back up to Network operators and pick AT&T. This step may not be necessary. Maybe you just need to turn the phone off and on again. Anyway, that is it, and it now works.

Ron {Personal content removed for your safety}

After much talking with AT&T technical support I was going to give up and send back my new SIM card, but I got it working. Here is the story.

I have a T-mobile Huwei Comet pay as you go  that I used to roam onto AT&T networks during frequent travel outside of T-mobile coverage. In December data roaming was cancelled without notice. After many hours with T-mobile support that was the outcome. So T-mobile gave me the unlock code and I bought an AT&T SIM on the web and unlocked and activated the phone. The phone worked fine but no data. After much time with technical support from AT&T and an attempt to give me an APN to type in it still didn't work. But I have found that minimal info is needed for the data to work. Just go into

Settings

Wireless & networks

Mobile Networks

Access Point Names

Then add a new APN with the following:

• Name: ATT WAP
  • APN:  wap.cingular

Everything else should be left blank or unchanged.

Go to menu and Save.

Then Back up to Network operators and pick AT&T. This step may not be necessary. Maybe you just need to turn the phone off and on again. Anyway, that is it, and it now works.

Ron {Personal content removed for your safety}

Porting unlocked T-mobile Huwei Comet Phone to AT&T

[ Edited ]
2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2012 12:34:43 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager
Edited by jamileh on Jan 18, 2012 at 8:57:22 AM

Thanks for the great info! I'm glad you were able to resolve this and appreciate you posting the steps to save someone else the trouble. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Thanks for the great info! I'm glad you were able to resolve this and appreciate you posting the steps to save someone else the trouble. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Porting unlocked T-mobile Huwei Comet Phone to AT&T

[ Edited ]
2 of 3 (1,531 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 6:33:36 AM
(0)
Contributor
That should be Huawei Comet
That should be Huawei Comet