Porting number from Virgin Mobile to AT&T.

Mentor

Porting number from Virgin Mobile to AT&T.

I just got my new iPhone.  I wanted to give it a little test run before I decided to keep it or not, and I am keeping it.  I have kept my Virgin Mobile phone for the time being, but would like to now port that number over to my new iPhone.  I already checked, and the number is eligible for porting.

My question is, has anyone ported from VM to AT&T?  Was it smooth, and how long did it take?  Did it take a while for everything to switch over (texting, etc).  I've read stories on other forums about how porting sometimes can take a week or so for all the databases to switch over, and sometimes people get texts on their old phone, while voice is switched over to their new phone and stuff like that.

Part of me thinks it might be easier just to keep the new number, but I'd like to use my old VM one if it's not going to be a hassle and/or problematic doing the porting.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 7 (13,028 Views)
Professor

Re: Porting number from Virgin Mobile to AT&T.

I have not done that porting process, but you should be able to complete the transaction by talking to ATTs Port and Activation center.

Not sure of their direct number, but you can call customer service and have them transfer you. 1-800-331-0500.

If you decide to port in, you can use the advice to complete that.

Message 2 of 7 (13,025 Views)
Mentor

Thanks.   I called AT&T Porting (1-888-898-7685) around 12noon today.  They said there was a delay with the porting process, but that it was normal when from Virgin Mobile.  They are due to call me back at 4pm, and hopefully they can complete the process at that time. 

Message 3 of 7 (13,019 Views)
Professor

Awesome, let us know how it works!

Message 4 of 7 (13,017 Views)

I ported 2 VM prepaid numbers about 20 months ago. One went thru in a couple of hours. The second one took 4(FOUR) days to get done. No one at AT&T could explain why. Made numerous calls to CS over that period of time and finally it worked.

Odd thing was the TXT msg went to the new phone the same day as the port, but the voice took 4 days.

Message 5 of 7 (13,013 Views)
Mentor

skiltrip wrote:

Thanks.   I called AT&T Porting (1-888-898-7685) around 12noon today.  They said there was a delay with the porting process, but that it was normal when from Virgin Mobile.  They are due to call me back at 4pm, and hopefully they can complete the process at that time. 

So AT&T called me back around 3:45pm (15 minutes early), and they said they were all ready to make the switch to the other number.  Asked me to power off the iPhone.  Waited a couple minutes, turned it back on, and it was done.   They checked calling in and out with me to make sure I was able to make and receive calls.  And that was that.  Pretty easy and painless, besides the 3 and a half hour wait, which honestly wasn't a big deal.  Afterwards I checked texting in and out and that was working fine as well. 

Much easier than I had thought it might be.  I just didn't want to end up with one of those cases where something unknown was causing a delay that would drag out for days.  Fortunately, that did not happen in this case.

I must also say, that both AT&T reps I spoke with (the one at noon, and the follow up rep) were both very nice, courteous, friendly, etc.   I was please with both the process and the professionalism of the reps. 

Thumbs up. 

Message 6 of 7 (13,005 Views)
Professor

Glad to hear its going well!

Message 7 of 7 (13,002 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.