Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 18, 2011
12:45:48 PM
Porting a number off Family Plan (answered my own question; figured I'd post the info)
Edited by pamelaz on Jun 18, 2011 at 1:45:32 PM

I have a Family Plan (under my name) that includes my phone and a friend's phone. My friend wants to switch to another provider. Her phone is out-of-contract so no early termination fee. Smiley Happy

So the question I had was, do I need to be with my friend as she shops for a new phone? Or can she port the number over without my having to be there. Here are the steps the AT&T rep just gave me:

1. She can go to the mall and shop for a phone.

2. She calls me from the mall when she ports the number over so I can verify account credentials

3. Once her number is ported over, I need to call AT&T to switch to an individual plan

4. I will not lose my Unlimited Data plan, and if I add Unlimited Text I will get unlimited minutes mobile-to-mobile (even if the mobile I'm calling is on another service provider [Verizon, T-Mobile, etc.]).

I hope this info is helpful for anyone who is in a similar situation. Of course a call to AT&T is always a good thing.

Thanks,

Don

{Personal content removed for your safety}

I have a Family Plan (under my name) that includes my phone and a friend's phone. My friend wants to switch to another provider. Her phone is out-of-contract so no early termination fee. Smiley Happy

So the question I had was, do I need to be with my friend as she shops for a new phone? Or can she port the number over without my having to be there. Here are the steps the AT&T rep just gave me:

1. She can go to the mall and shop for a phone.

2. She calls me from the mall when she ports the number over so I can verify account credentials

3. Once her number is ported over, I need to call AT&T to switch to an individual plan

4. I will not lose my Unlimited Data plan, and if I add Unlimited Text I will get unlimited minutes mobile-to-mobile (even if the mobile I'm calling is on another service provider [Verizon, T-Mobile, etc.]).

I hope this info is helpful for anyone who is in a similar situation. Of course a call to AT&T is always a good thing.

Thanks,

Don

{Personal content removed for your safety}

-- Don Montalvo, TX http://linkedin.com/in/donmontalvo

Porting a number off Family Plan (answered my own question; figured I'd post the info)

[ Edited ]
0 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments