Poor Customer Service Experience

Contributor

Poor Customer Service Experience

I am writing after a particularly disappointing visit to the AT&T location at the North Shore Mall in Danvers, Massachusetts. In May, my wife and I went in to upgrade her old phone to an iPhone. While there, the sales associate, David, informed me that they had a nice exception to the upgrade policy that allowed customers to upgrade a month prior to their actual upgrade date if they were upgrading to the next series of iPhone. So, I waited until today, exactly a month prior to my upgrade date, and went in optimistically thinking that I would be rid of my paper weight and have a newer model of iPhone that actually worked. I couldn't quite remember the name of the sales associate who had given us the great advice and service before, but when I walked in, I recognized him and went over to get the process started. I explained what we had talked about, hoping that he would remember, and he took a few minutes to look us up in the system. At no point in time while doing this, did he express any indication that there might be an issue. After looking over our account, he proceeded to inform me that I was not eligible for another three weeks, and that on our prior visit, I must have misheard him. I was fairly certain that I had understood him just fine on the first visit, so I asked him again to clarify and he repeated his story that what I had been told was not the case and that I would have to wait. At this point, an assistant manager, whose name I did not catch, entered the conversation and informed me that what I had been told on my prior visit was in fact true and that there was a change in policy and that there was nothing they could do for me. They then checked the date and told me that I didn't have much longer to wait though. I left the store utterly disgusted with the customer service and the attempt to cover up what I had been told before by the sales associate. I now have zero faith in the sales team and their integrity, and will NOT be visiting the store again to upgrade my phone and am considering canceling my service with them all together. I've worked many years in retail, long enough to know that while the customer is not always necessarily right, a company should honor the offers that they are making to a customer. I have been a customer since 2003, and now see why everyone I know complains about this service provider.

Message 1 of 7 (371 Views)
Expert

Re: Poor Customer Service Experience

Send Alex a PM he is an ATT Community Manager on the forum.

http://forums.att.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/318276

Message 2 of 7 (366 Views)
ACE - Expert

fantasma79 wrote:

I am writing after a particularly disappointing visit to the AT&T location at the North Shore Mall in Danvers, Massachusetts. In May, my wife and I went in to upgrade her old phone to an iPhone. While there, the sales associate, David, informed me that they had a nice exception to the upgrade policy that allowed customers to upgrade a month prior to their actual upgrade date if they were upgrading to the next series of iPhone. So, I waited until today, exactly a month prior to my upgrade date, and went in optimistically thinking that I would be rid of my paper weight and have a newer model of iPhone that actually worked. I couldn't quite remember the name of the sales associate who had given us the great advice and service before, but when I walked in, I recognized him and went over to get the process started. I explained what we had talked about, hoping that he would remember, and he took a few minutes to look us up in the system. At no point in time while doing this, did he express any indication that there might be an issue. After looking over our account, he proceeded to inform me that I was not eligible for another three weeks, and that on our prior visit, I must have misheard him. I was fairly certain that I had understood him just fine on the first visit, so I asked him again to clarify and he repeated his story that what I had been told was not the case and that I would have to wait. At this point, an assistant manager, whose name I did not catch, entered the conversation and informed me that what I had been told on my prior visit was in fact true and that there was a change in policy and that there was nothing they could do for me. They then checked the date and told me that I didn't have much longer to wait though. I left the store utterly disgusted with the customer service and the attempt to cover up what I had been told before by the sales associate. I now have zero faith in the sales team and their integrity, and will NOT be visiting the store again to upgrade my phone and am considering canceling my service with them all together. I've worked many years in retail, long enough to know that while the customer is not always necessarily right, a company should honor the offers that they are making to a customer. I have been a customer since 2003, and now see why everyone I know complains about this service provider.

AT&T's update policy is NOT one month before your upgrade date, it is the first of the month of the date your update falls in. If your update is January 24, you can update on January 1, if your update is February 5, you can update February 1.

I don't know why the CS people don't know this. Most of the posters on this forum that are knowledgeable know that is the new policy.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 7 (349 Views)
Former Employee

There was never a "policy" but we were able to do an exception and do an upgrade 1 month early before then it did change so we can't do it anymore. It's not sales team's fault and their not doing anything wrong, special offers change all the time, and we don't know in advance if and when it happens.

Message 4 of 7 (338 Views)
Contributor

When I was told about the 1 month early upgrade exception, the only mistake that the sales associate made was choosing his words a little incorrectly and putting it forth as a policy. I can't blame him for that, and I certainly don't blame him for the change in "policy." I've worked for an extremely large "big box" retailer in the past, and I know that corporate will change policy at a moment's notice and leave all of their hard working employees out to dry on the sales floor. Trust me I get it. But the real issue is that this associate tried to convince me that I must have heard him wrong, and it wasn't until the assistant manager who was standing behind him stepped in and told the truth. Even after being flat out lied to to cover up what the salesman had told me before, they didn't have the presence of mind to just honor the "exception" and make good on the deal for the sake of good customer service. Again, having been in their shoes, you can always make it happen or at least get close. They didn't bother trying, they didn't care, and they aren't deserving of my trust as a customer. Rather than cause a scene and make demands for service, like so many customers do, I tried to leave with as much dignity as possible. For what?

Message 5 of 7 (323 Views)
Former Employee

I hear you.
Message 6 of 7 (305 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

if this is treu then att does a very poor job of keeping their staff updated on the lastest changes. I too have had similar experiences with att associates and the customer services line. I have been a customer since 2003 and on 3/23/12 I will no longer be.
Message 7 of 7 (294 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.