Helpful Links

Plz post your Inspires SpeedTest.

Scholar

Plz post your Inspires SpeedTest.

I think speedtest.net is pre-loaded. Dunno bout u,but for me itll weigh heavily in my decision to keepit or not. I think Quadrant is there too. Thatd help to see if theres any variations from phone to phone.
RSVP.....Yo.
Message 1 of 23
Scholar

Re: Plz post your Inspires SpeedTest.

The best I could do is 2.74 dn,.31 up. Sure beats my Tilt2. But still sucks. How's yours? The full AT&T & XDA sites are loading very fast.
Message 2 of 23

The H+ icon up in top right is a flaw, its only 3g, hspa+ isnt officially turned on until march 1st.

Message 3 of 23
Scholar

It says in the owners manual when u see the 2 arrows lightup under the H+ that means your on 4G. So who's right? Mines lightingup all the time. So is HSPA+ on,or are we gonna suddenly see much better speeds on the first. I don't think this guy knows what he's talkin about. Today I got 1805 with quadrant test. Not bad.
Message 4 of 23
Scholar

I actually gotup to3.2Mb down yesterday. But that's rare. I'm getting .25-.13Mb up. According to a few reliable sources,the Inspires upload speed is tampered with for some reason? Check BGR or Engadgets articles about the Inspire. This cant be good.....
Message 5 of 23
Highlighted

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:
I actually gotup to3.2Mb down yesterday. But that's rare. I'm getting .25-.13Mb up. According to a few reliable sources,the Inspires upload speed is tampered with for some reason? Check BGR or Engadgets articles about the Inspire. This cant be good.....

Confirmed...the 4G upload has been disabled on the Inspire.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold
Message 6 of 23
Professor

cellphonereviews4u wrote:

The H+ icon up in top right is a flaw, its only 3g, hspa+ isnt officially turned on until march 1st.

The backhaul has already been deployed and running in many areas.   They aren't going to wait until March 1st to magically flip a switch and turn on 4G on the entire network.  I've gotten speeds of up to 4Mbps in my local area.   remember, ATT is only claiming speeds of "up to" 6 Mbps on the HSPA+ backhaul.  And that's probably a best case scenario.  Its very dependent on network congestion.  I've gotten as low as 1 Mbps in the same location as the previously mentioned 4 Mbps.

Message 7 of 23
Scholar

Upload speed is crippled. Why? Makes no sense. This is very bad.....& getting worse.
Message 8 of 23
Mentor

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:
Upload speed is crippled. Why? Makes no sense. This is very bad.....& getting worse.

It can be fixed on the user end but we should not have to! Photobucket

Message 9 of 23
Scholar

2.6dn/1.6up....that's still not 4G. Theoretical is 14 down. We should be getting at least half of that. I'm takin mine back. If U bought an Inspire,u were ripped off. ATT knew they were selling tampered with phones,when they sold them. How many customers do they need to bring a class action lawsuit? If this doesn't qualify,I don't know what does. Didn't ATT customers just settle a class action lawsuit against ATT recently? This pseudo 4G labelling is also a farce. I thought Id get at least 5-6Mbs down & up. I really don't want to leave ATT. I must be their oldest customer. But if u were out of contract,like me,and VZ had a DesireHD,with LTE,what would u do? I wonder if the Thunderbolt will also only have 1GB of storage,like the Inspire? NOT.
Message 10 of 23
Professor

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:
2.6dn/1.6up....that's still not 4G. Theoretical is 14 down. We should be getting at least half of that. I'm takin mine back. If U bought an Inspire,u were ripped off. ATT knew they were selling tampered with phones,when they sold them. How many customers do they need to bring a class action lawsuit? If this doesn't qualify,I don't know what does. Didn't ATT customers just settle a class action lawsuit against ATT recently? This pseudo 4G labelling is also a farce. I thought Id get at least 5-6Mbs down & up.  I really don't want to leave ATT. I must be their oldest customer. But if u were out of contract,like me,and VZ had a DesireHD,with LTE,what would u do? I wonder if the Thunderbolt will also only have 1GB of storage,like the Inspire? NOT.

14.4 Mbps download speed is just the phone's hardware limitation.  I think the HSPA+ technology actually has the potential to be much faster than that.  AT&T has only ever said that their HSPA+ backhaul would get speeds "up to 6 Mbps".  There's no reason to expect any more than that, regardless of what is "theoretically" possible.  And 6 Mbps is probably under very optimal conditions.   A number they threw out for marketing purposes because they know for the most part they will not be accountable for it.  I don't ever expect to see close to 6 Mbps in real life.  But I have seen up to 3.9 Mbps in my market (with 2.5 to 3 Mbps seeming to be the more average condition).

It sounds like you are getting really hung up on the numbers, instead of the actual function of the phone.  If another carrier has the coverage and service you want, at the right price, and the phones you want, then by all means switch.  But there is no "perfect" carrier.  They all have their pros and cons.

Message 11 of 23
Scholar

There's other carriers? Thanx..... when u are with a service for 14 years,same #,u don't want to switch. I just expect to get what I paid for. I know a lot of people are feeling gullible after finding out theyre new phones don't liveup to the sales pitch. Backhaul,Rel.5,4G,theoretical vs actual etc. Buyer beware. It's got the same speeds as your old phone. Period.
Message 12 of 23
Professor

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:
There's other carriers? Thanx..... when u are with a service for 14 years,same #,u don't want to switch. I just expect to get what I paid for. I know a lot of people are feeling gullible after finding out theyre new phones don't liveup to the sales pitch. Backhaul,Rel.5,4G,theoretical vs actual etc. Buyer beware. It's got the same speeds as your old phone. Period.

Cell phone number portability is pretty easy nowadays.  Its been law for a few years now that the number belongs to you.  I think carriers will even do the number switching for you when you sign up.  Don't let 14 years of loyalty hold you back either.  AT&T would drop you in a second if they had a reason to.  I've been a customer for 11 years.  But that wouldn't keep me from switching.  My main reasons are that T-Mobile coverage has not been good in my market (but constantly improving); and AT&T offers the best service for international travel (a work requirement for me) while CDMA is near worthless abroad.  The "world" phones choices (with both CDMA and GSM) are very limited on Verizon, and tend not to include the better Android phones.

Message 13 of 23
Scholar

That's all common knowledge. Tell me something I don't know. Does anyone really think that staying & not leaving is just because of # portability issues? Please.......its like an old friend.
Message 14 of 23
Scholar

Is # portability easy these days? Good. I'm glad we cleared that up! Not. Back to the subject. I just tried again. 2 arrows lit,with 3bars. I tried 2X. I got; 1.3dn/.13up,then 1.50dn/.22up. I've seen 3.0dn 1 or 2 times. But most of the time this is what I'm getting. Hope you're having better luck. This ain't what I paid for.
Message 15 of 23
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support