Please allow side loading on newer Android Phones.

Contributor

Please allow side loading on newer Android Phones.

I know you think it is better for the phones not to allow this, it is nessary for both bisnesses as well as personal enjoyment.    My experiance is that people don't side load apps except when nessary.    If they cannot side load an app they will take harsher messures that could compromise there phone.

Amazon App store issues is just one problem.   

I feel for all the T-Mobile users who also might loose this option in the future.   

Please change your stance on the issue.

Message 1 of 36 (1,759 Views)
Professor

Re: Please allow side loading on newer Android Phones.

As a T-Mobile customer, pending the buyout by AT&T, please allow 3rd party apps on Android phones. I may have to defect to Sprint.
Message 16 of 36 (710 Views)
Professor

Just like Att was so quiet during thd tmobile commercials bashing att and with att's own web site announcing 4G, I am beginning to believe that AT&T may be announcing new plans, apps and availabilities, etc around the time tmobile is brought aboard. But for now, theres yet a year or so before you would even be effected. ......unless its already done and tmoble is operating under its brand name but is an att entity...hmmmm.... Lets see what fcc allows.
Message 17 of 36 (700 Views)
Professor

sitnsidewayz wrote:

FredW wrote:

I think the real reason is so they can keep us from using apps that could use a lot of cellular data.  This way, they can allow high data usage apps, but limit them to wifi data only.  The malicious apps thing is probably only a secondary concern.

And while they are doing this, why not allow us to remove the unwanted at&t apps at the same time?  I had to root my phone to get rid of them.

I'm really not sure what you mean. High usage would be streaming music and video apps and there are plenty of those in the Market, like Pandora and YouTube. Heck, YouTube comes preinstalled. If you are talking about apps that are filtered out, those are only filtered when you go through AT&T's cellular data because it is done at the server level. You can put your device in airplane mode and then turn on wifi to access the Market and those apps will appear. I do agree that it would be nice to be able to uninstall the apps that you don't want without rooting.

There are several apps that limit you to wifi.  Skype, Sirius/XM, and others.  They can't block the stuff available on the straight internet stuff very well, because you can get to it via browser, but the other stuff seems locked down. 

Message 18 of 36 (685 Views)
Contributor

I am unable to get Q2 app from AT&T app market. It is not listed as a supported device for my HTC inspire? Every other site that I have gone to shows the Blueant Q2 as a compatible device. Please contact and upload this app for AT&T Droid App market.

Message 19 of 36 (593 Views)
Professor

ratdaddy54 wrote:

I am unable to get Q2 app from AT&T app market. It is not listed as a supported device for my HTC inspire? Every other site that I have gone to shows the Blueant Q2 as a compatible device. Please contact and upload this app for AT&T Droid App market.

Were you able to locate it in another app store/market? Have you checked that xda site to see if anyone posted a location for Blueant Q2 apps?

Message 20 of 36 (583 Views)
Master

EXTRA! EXTRA! Listen up boys and girls! The sideloading drought is over! At least for one phone. The Samsung Infuse "4G" has the option to install applications from unknown sources! Let us all hope this is a pattern of things to come.

http://www.androidcentral.com/att-re-enables-sideloading-infuse-4g
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 21 of 36 (593 Views)
Professor

That is excellente! I am glad the streak never had this restriction. Thats Great news, Ann(d154)!
Message 22 of 36 (591 Views)
Master

I wonder if they will push out updates for the rest of AT&T's lineup of android phones. This restriction was one of my gripes about their devices. The network behind the device ended up being the biggest issue though.
Message 23 of 36 (579 Views)
Professor

Ann154 wrote:
I wonder if they will push out updates for the rest of AT&T's lineup of android phones. This restriction was one of my gripes about their devices. The network behind the device ended up being the biggest issue though.

One thing for sure would happen if they did, Ann(droid154), ATT would make a ton of happy customers!!! They are not losing anything by removing these restrictions and let the customers simply enjoy their investments (phones).

Message 24 of 36 (574 Views)
Master

RicoLX wrote:

Ann154 wrote:

One thing for sure would happen if they did, Ann(droid154), ATT would make a ton of happy customers!!! They are not losing anything by removing these restrictions and let the customers simply enjoy their investments (phones).

Yes many users with be happier.  That option mades it SO easy to help beta test an application.

Wow! Just saw my "mobile signature" for the post above.  How in the world do you get "THAT" from an HTC android phone (Eris) running in ariplane mode with the wifi active?

Message 25 of 36 (571 Views)
Professor

You mean the "I love Swift Key" siggy?
Message 26 of 36 (568 Views)
Master

RicoLX wrote:
You mean the "I love Swift Key" siggy?

No the automated one that one can view in the "full desktop" view.  Once the picture is approved, you will see what I mean.

And I do love SwiftKey.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 27 of 36 (565 Views)
Professor

Ann154 wrote:

whoa! where DID that come from ?!?   (and i like the swype keyboard too!!     Smiley Very Happy

Message 28 of 36 (560 Views)
Master

RicoLX wrote:

Ann154 wrote:

whoa! where DID that come from ?!?   (and i like the swype keyboard too!!     Smiley Very Happy

Am I right or Am I right?  "Softbank 001DL" is just too weird!!!!

Message 29 of 36 (558 Views)
Professor

Its the oddest thing¡! Wonder whats going on? I saw a copywrite disclaimer on one of my postings earlier. Looks like we have a lil' gremlin running loose.
Message 30 of 36 (557 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.