Please allow side loading on newer Android Phones.

Contributor

Please allow side loading on newer Android Phones.

I know you think it is better for the phones not to allow this, it is nessary for both bisnesses as well as personal enjoyment.    My experiance is that people don't side load apps except when nessary.    If they cannot side load an app they will take harsher messures that could compromise there phone.

Amazon App store issues is just one problem.   

I feel for all the T-Mobile users who also might loose this option in the future.   

Please change your stance on the issue.

Message 1 of 36 (1,760 Views)
Master

Re: Please allow side loading on newer Android Phones.

I so agree that restricting the side loading is not right. The Amazon app store, beta apk files and apk designed for specific companies are all reasons to allow the ability to install from unknown sources. My current android phone on a different carrier has not been ruined once in the more than a year that I have had the phone. I have used that feature to assist a developer with the beta testing on their application. Each time lead to a great improvement of the application.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 36 (1,714 Views)
Professor

you can go over to the xda dev forum and search your phone then look for steps to install sideapps.

Message 3 of 36 (1,687 Views)
Professor

Tanthus wrote:

I know you think it is better for the phones not to allow this, it is nessary for both bisnesses as well as personal enjoyment.    My experiance is that people don't side load apps except when nessary.    If they cannot side load an app they will take harsher messures that could compromise there phone.

Amazon App store issues is just one problem.   

I feel for all the T-Mobile users who also might loose this option in the future.   

Please change your stance on the issue.

AT&T needs to seriously reconsider this soon. It is putting it behind the other carriers for the sake of a moot line of reasoning. Locking it's own customers to the Android Market is supposed to prevent it's users from installing malicious apps, yet the Market is littered with malicious apps. In the meantime, there are other reputable sources where apps can be installed from that are locked out.

Message 4 of 36 (1,633 Views)
Professor

I think the real reason is so they can keep us from using apps that could use a lot of cellular data.  This way, they can allow high data usage apps, but limit them to wifi data only.  The malicious apps thing is probably only a secondary concern.

And while they are doing this, why not allow us to remove the unwanted at&t apps at the same time?  I had to root my phone to get rid of them.

Message 5 of 36 (1,626 Views)
Professor

FredW wrote:

I think the real reason is so they can keep us from using apps that could use a lot of cellular data.  This way, they can allow high data usage apps, but limit them to wifi data only.  The malicious apps thing is probably only a secondary concern.

And while they are doing this, why not allow us to remove the unwanted at&t apps at the same time?  I had to root my phone to get rid of them.

I'm really not sure what you mean. High usage would be streaming music and video apps and there are plenty of those in the Market, like Pandora and YouTube. Heck, YouTube comes preinstalled. If you are talking about apps that are filtered out, those are only filtered when you go through AT&T's cellular data because it is done at the server level. You can put your device in airplane mode and then turn on wifi to access the Market and those apps will appear. I do agree that it would be nice to be able to uninstall the apps that you don't want without rooting.

Message 6 of 36 (1,607 Views)
Professor

sitnsidewayz wrote:
You can put your device in airplane mode and then turn on wifi to access the Market and those apps will appear. I do agree that it would be nice to be able to uninstall the apps that you don't want without rooting.

Cool!

Message 7 of 36 (1,566 Views)
Contributor

WOW!! They better hope POPCAP does'nt ever open an online store. You block out PvZ and your'e going to have a world war in about 5 minutes or lose more customers to the V's! It's insane that AT&T bans this. There are so many ways around it, it's ridiculous so why bother? Verizon, T-Mobile, or Sprint hasn't went out of buisness yet due to sideloading. The worst that happens is that someone has to reset their phone to scratch. Not a big deal since Google backs up all your phone #'s and your apps are waiting for you in your account. I had an EVO and never had any issies with sideloaded apps. The only thing I ever sideloaded was a Swype keyboard beta and some awesome Gameloft games I bought. There are so many apps (from several devs, but mainly the ones out of China) that are totally malicious, that are right there in the Android market. Because Sprint offered the side loading and the abilty to let some apps in the market work on the EVO like ScreenShot which normally worked only on rooted phones, I never had the desire to root my phone. Sure it would be cool to tether and stuff, but how often would I actually use it? There is no Sprint here in Alaska, that is why I switched to AT&T when I got here, but now Verizon is coming and I would switch just for the simple fact that I can sideload my apps and not feel like a criminal or feel that I need a baby sitter to keep me safe. I have a Gameloft account with quite a few high quailty HD Android games in it that I can't even use now because of this. I can't wait to go back to Sprint so I can have the rights to the Amazon Store & any other "legit store" I want.

Message 8 of 36 (1,553 Views)
Professor

AkShiz wrote:

WOW!! They better hope POPCAP does'nt ever open an online store. You block out PvZ and your'e going to have a world war in about 5 minutes or lose more customers to the V's! It's insane that AT&T bans this.

I thinkd ATT's banning cetain appstores got to do with their predecesor Iphone when they were the sole distributor and how the iphone was locked to only one source.  ATT really dont have the right to restrict the android phones like that. Especially that theres workaround anyway. All its doing is hurting ATT rep. My phone straight from DELL and i can install 'sideapps' but (skerrd to...hehheh due to who knows what crap is out there)

only have two sides installed , rest from android market

Message 9 of 36 (1,548 Views)
Professor

FredW wrote:

I was more thinking that AT&T wanted to block apps for services they charge for, like tethering and Skype.  Are those apps on the "AT&T approved" market?

Message 10 of 36 (1,392 Views)
Professor

redpoint73 wrote:

FredW wrote:

I was more thinking that AT&T wanted to block apps for services they charge for, like tethering and Skype.  Are those apps on the "AT&T approved" market?

Skype is and is allowed. The tethering apps are in the market, but filtered out by AT&T.

Message 11 of 36 (799 Views)
Contributor

Its rather irritating to me that they are still blocking sideloading. Of course I can mod my phone and do what ever but I shouldn't have to just so I can put my work apps on the phone. IBM pushed out their new (also very secure) Lotus Notes for android. I called AT&T and they said too bad... As much as I love my phone service if AT&T does not step up to the competition I will go to sprint or verizon, (Leaving out TMobil because if AT&T buys them there goes their freedom).

Message 12 of 36 (766 Views)
Professor

Watch Out for Fake App "Android.WalkinWat"

cnet.com has an article on a fake android app thats making its rounds.  Be careful installing sideapps and the source you logon to .  Click here or on the pic to go to the cnet.com article:

Message 13 of 36 (754 Views)
Master

Message 14 of 36 (728 Views)
Professor

Wooooo! hoo hoo hee hee haa haa haaaaaa!

Ann i needed a good gut bust'n laugh today

It will be a cold day in hades.....when.. when.. Ha ha haha haaaaaaa

im crackn up over here,... hahahhaaaaa .. .cant breath...wheww!

Somebody hepp'me pleeeeze.. Hahahahaha Ha Ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaa!

<insert tears rolling out my eyes here, holdingmy stomach, rolling on floor>

Message 15 of 36 (722 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.