Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forums

Posted Aug 5, 2011
9:12:48 AM
View profile
Pix and Video off when Data disable though paying for unlimited messaging PLEASE RESPOND ATT?

Pix/Video messaging costs me $30 a month and yet when I want to disable data since I don't want to spend that much more, it requires disabling pix and video messaging. Seems like a ripoff to me. Please tell us why a service we pay for is interlinked with one that we don't want? Not a fair consumer practice! This is simple programming!

Pix/Video messaging costs me $30 a month and yet when I want to disable data since I don't want to spend that much more, it requires disabling pix and video messaging. Seems like a ripoff to me. Please tell us why a service we pay for is interlinked with one that we don't want? Not a fair consumer practice! This is simple programming!

Pix and Video off when Data disable though paying for unlimited messaging PLEASE RESPOND ATT?

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2011 12:21:18 PM
(0)
Employee
picture messaging requires internet to send or receive. disabling internet blocks pictures.. could get data pay per use. as long as you don't access the internet you won't get charged
picture messaging requires internet to send or receive. disabling internet blocks pictures.. could get data pay per use. as long as you don't access the internet you won't get charged
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Pix and Video off when Data disable though paying for unlimited messaging PLEASE RESPOND ATT?

2 of 10 (332 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2011 3:55:01 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by Dcookie on Aug 8, 2011 at 4:02:04 PM

JFizDaWiz wrote:

That's what ATT says but see what this member said about another company and If this is a true statement, then WHY can't ATT do this too??

as per seajohn...

Re: Tired of $2 Charge for Data When I Don't Use It
"Ultimately you may have to vote with your wallet. I switched to another provider in July. That provider has no problem blocking data without blocking IM or picture texts.
I made sure to email AT&T to inform them that their inability or unwillingness to do this was a major reason for them losing my three lines after 10 years of service. I doubt that anybody at AT&T took any notice, but if enough people do this, maybe it will start to get through to them."
Sorry to post it like this but I seem to be having a problem inserting a link... Smiley Indifferent

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

JFizDaWiz wrote:

That's what ATT says but see what this member said about another company and If this is a true statement, then WHY can't ATT do this too??

as per seajohn...

Re: Tired of $2 Charge for Data When I Don't Use It
"Ultimately you may have to vote with your wallet. I switched to another provider in July. That provider has no problem blocking data without blocking IM or picture texts.
I made sure to email AT&T to inform them that their inability or unwillingness to do this was a major reason for them losing my three lines after 10 years of service. I doubt that anybody at AT&T took any notice, but if enough people do this, maybe it will start to get through to them."
Sorry to post it like this but I seem to be having a problem inserting a link... Smiley Indifferent

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Re: Pix and Video off when Data disable though paying for unlimited messaging PLEASE RESPOND ATT?

[ Edited ]
3 of 10 (318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 11:15:28 AM
(0)
Contributor
I had another carrier before switching to ATT a little over a year ago. I could block internet without blocking pix messaging. I too am frustrated by this. I really have enjoyed ATT service... this is almost the only thing that is really annoying to me.
I had another carrier before switching to ATT a little over a year ago. I could block internet without blocking pix messaging. I too am frustrated by this. I really have enjoyed ATT service... this is almost the only thing that is really annoying to me.

4 of 10 (308 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2011 10:28:03 AM
(0)
Scholar

I've had the unlimitted family msg for a long time & recently saw data charges on two of my lines. I was floored to find out that the charges were for pics that were sent. I hav never had this problem before. When i called att they tried to sell me a data plan. I am furious with att. I hav had nothing but problems with them lately and wish i could drop them but i can't. This is ridiculous.

I've had the unlimitted family msg for a long time & recently saw data charges on two of my lines. I was floored to find out that the charges were for pics that were sent. I hav never had this problem before. When i called att they tried to sell me a data plan. I am furious with att. I hav had nothing but problems with them lately and wish i could drop them but i can't. This is ridiculous.

5 of 10 (291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2011 1:24:20 PM
(0)
Expert

4mygrls wrote:

Yes, it IS ridiculous...your charges for sending pics are INCLUDED in your Unlimited Family Messaging Plan. YOU DO NOT NEED to have a data plan if you have the Unlimited Messaging Plan. Did they remove the charges??? 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

4mygrls wrote:

Yes, it IS ridiculous...your charges for sending pics are INCLUDED in your Unlimited Family Messaging Plan. YOU DO NOT NEED to have a data plan if you have the Unlimited Messaging Plan. Did they remove the charges??? 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

6 of 10 (287 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2011 12:45:01 PM
(0)
Scholar

i called yesterday and they told me the charges were for pics sent/received. They said internet has to b accessed to send pics. They said they would credit my acct the amt charged and put data opt out on one of the lines. I don't want data opt out on my line. Last month i called and found out that data opt out was removed from one of the lines so i had it fixed(so they said they fixed it, not). I called today and I was told that the charges weren't from pics. I found out that they didn't credit the amt yesterday. So the rep today credited the amt and put the data opt out on the line i want it on. I don't know who keeps changing stuff on my acct but it's really starting to make me mad. I'm sure i'll hav to call next month to have something fixed. Ugh Smiley Mad

i called yesterday and they told me the charges were for pics sent/received. They said internet has to b accessed to send pics. They said they would credit my acct the amt charged and put data opt out on one of the lines. I don't want data opt out on my line. Last month i called and found out that data opt out was removed from one of the lines so i had it fixed(so they said they fixed it, not). I called today and I was told that the charges weren't from pics. I found out that they didn't credit the amt yesterday. So the rep today credited the amt and put the data opt out on the line i want it on. I don't know who keeps changing stuff on my acct but it's really starting to make me mad. I'm sure i'll hav to call next month to have something fixed. Ugh Smiley Mad

7 of 10 (278 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2011 3:47:34 PM
(0)
Expert

4mygrls...but you HAVE Unlimited Family Messaging, CORRECT?? Internet DOES have to be accessed to send/recieve pics...and Unlimited Family messaing covers ALL the phones on your account.

So, they told you the charges WERE from pics and now they're telling you they're NOT?? Now, on the other hand, if pics were sent that exceeded the 600kb limit, that is when you would see the extra data charges...it happened to me once, and ONLY once. If you put a data opt out on that one line, that phone will no longer be able to send/recieve pics...you DO understand that, right??

If the data opt out was NOT on that line, as you say, and the charges were NOT from pics, then I'm sure the data charges could have been from that person accessing Media Net. Did that person happen to accidentally bump that Media Net button that would connect him/her to the internet?? I have had $2.00 data charges on 3 of my latest bills....on our 3rd line. The phone belongs to my sister and she does NOT have time or a need to use the internet from her phone...believe me, I KNOW THIS!! So, like you, I will be calling, AGAIN, when I see the recurring $2.00 charge on my bill. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

4mygrls...but you HAVE Unlimited Family Messaging, CORRECT?? Internet DOES have to be accessed to send/recieve pics...and Unlimited Family messaing covers ALL the phones on your account.

So, they told you the charges WERE from pics and now they're telling you they're NOT?? Now, on the other hand, if pics were sent that exceeded the 600kb limit, that is when you would see the extra data charges...it happened to me once, and ONLY once. If you put a data opt out on that one line, that phone will no longer be able to send/recieve pics...you DO understand that, right??

If the data opt out was NOT on that line, as you say, and the charges were NOT from pics, then I'm sure the data charges could have been from that person accessing Media Net. Did that person happen to accidentally bump that Media Net button that would connect him/her to the internet?? I have had $2.00 data charges on 3 of my latest bills....on our 3rd line. The phone belongs to my sister and she does NOT have time or a need to use the internet from her phone...believe me, I KNOW THIS!! So, like you, I will be calling, AGAIN, when I see the recurring $2.00 charge on my bill. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

8 of 10 (272 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2011 11:05:57 AM
(0)
Scholar

we were suppose to have the data opt out on all the lines except 2 of them. last month i called to make sure the opt out was there cuz i saw it wasn't. they said they took care of it but didn't. i called this month when i saw the charges and they said they would take care of it and it was from pics. I called back the next day and found out it wasn't taken cared of and that's when she told me it wasn't from pics cuz it would show on my bill that is was from pics and it didn't. the previous rep, the previous day said it was pics. who knows? i'm so frustrated it literally makes me ill.

we were suppose to have the data opt out on all the lines except 2 of them. last month i called to make sure the opt out was there cuz i saw it wasn't. they said they took care of it but didn't. i called this month when i saw the charges and they said they would take care of it and it was from pics. I called back the next day and found out it wasn't taken cared of and that's when she told me it wasn't from pics cuz it would show on my bill that is was from pics and it didn't. the previous rep, the previous day said it was pics. who knows? i'm so frustrated it literally makes me ill.

9 of 10 (262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2011 7:32:48 PM
(0)
Expert

4mygrls...Yes, I can see how you would be frustrated...I suppose you just have to keep checking to make sure you have the opt out where it should be. It amazes me how somethings can mysteriously be there, like you want them to be, and then NOT! I hope you get things straightened out the way you want them. As for me, I think I will be calling ATT, once again, for that $2.00 data charge for 1 kb of data.... talk about FRUSTRATED... Smiley Sad

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

4mygrls...Yes, I can see how you would be frustrated...I suppose you just have to keep checking to make sure you have the opt out where it should be. It amazes me how somethings can mysteriously be there, like you want them to be, and then NOT! I hope you get things straightened out the way you want them. As for me, I think I will be calling ATT, once again, for that $2.00 data charge for 1 kb of data.... talk about FRUSTRATED... Smiley Sad

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

10 of 10 (260 Views)