Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 31, 2010
2:08:50 PM
View profile
Picking New Phone

I am looking for a nice phone (not a smartphone) that's affordable (without the $20 msg plan required). Something good for a 14 year old. She liked the Kin TwoM, but only Verizon has that. Any suggestions like it?

I am looking for a nice phone (not a smartphone) that's affordable (without the $20 msg plan required). Something good for a 14 year old. She liked the Kin TwoM, but only Verizon has that. Any suggestions like it?

Picking New Phone

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2011 9:45:04 AM
(0)
Professor

NcPandaLov3r wrote:

Any device that has a physical keyboard will also have the $20 messaging requirement. If she is not going to be texting, you may want to look at some good flip phones. But, frankly, for a teenager, I would reconsider that messaging option. Most teenagers need unlimited messaging. AT&T had the Kin devices at one time, but ditched them due to poor sales.

NcPandaLov3r wrote:

Any device that has a physical keyboard will also have the $20 messaging requirement. If she is not going to be texting, you may want to look at some good flip phones. But, frankly, for a teenager, I would reconsider that messaging option. Most teenagers need unlimited messaging. AT&T had the Kin devices at one time, but ditched them due to poor sales.

Re: Picking New Phone

2 of 7 (827 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 11:15:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

sitnsidewayz wrote:

NcPandaLov3r wrote:

That's right, I would also reconsider adding the messaging plan, although it doesn't seem like a fair requirement, just in order to have a nice phone. Most QMD's are nice devices, like the Samsung Mythic that I am using on prepaid to avoid the messaging requirement. Think it over, and tell us what you think. If it's a matter of inaffordability, then perhaps we can recommend you some other devices that could fit the Kin Two category.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

sitnsidewayz wrote:

NcPandaLov3r wrote:

That's right, I would also reconsider adding the messaging plan, although it doesn't seem like a fair requirement, just in order to have a nice phone. Most QMD's are nice devices, like the Samsung Mythic that I am using on prepaid to avoid the messaging requirement. Think it over, and tell us what you think. If it's a matter of inaffordability, then perhaps we can recommend you some other devices that could fit the Kin Two category.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 7 (791 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2011 10:18:32 PM
(0)
Guru

If you are giving a cell phone to your 14 year old daughter then either get unlimited texting or block texting completely.  My 14 year old niece had a 6000 message limit (with another company, not AT&T) and went way over that.  She is still paying her parents back for that.  Her first month of unlimited texting resulted in 20,000 texts.  Teens text constantly so be prepared!

If you are giving a cell phone to your 14 year old daughter then either get unlimited texting or block texting completely.  My 14 year old niece had a 6000 message limit (with another company, not AT&T) and went way over that.  She is still paying her parents back for that.  Her first month of unlimited texting resulted in 20,000 texts.  Teens text constantly so be prepared!

4 of 7 (683 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 8:07:58 PM
(0)
Scholar

ormom51 wrote:

600 texts a day?  That is scary

ormom51 wrote:

600 texts a day?  That is scary

5 of 7 (636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 12:03:02 PM
(0)
Guru

Yes, that number is scary.  Her spelling and grammar are also scary.  She is on her phone all day, every day.  Rarely uses it for an actual phone call, however.  And the sad fact is, she is not that exceptional in her number of texts.  Many teens text all day and all night.  When my kids were in high school the phones were turned off at 10pm.  Violate the rule and lose the phone to me.  I literally slept with one daughter's phone-just would not follow the rule.  I checked online for texts and calls that were made after hours.  Fortunately, texting was not as big then as it is now.  They had 200 texts each in high school. My kids are all adults now (but we still share a plan because it is less expensive for everyone) and we have unlimited family texting.  All of us send and receive many texts each month-but never anywhere near the number my niece reaches.

Yes, that number is scary.  Her spelling and grammar are also scary.  She is on her phone all day, every day.  Rarely uses it for an actual phone call, however.  And the sad fact is, she is not that exceptional in her number of texts.  Many teens text all day and all night.  When my kids were in high school the phones were turned off at 10pm.  Violate the rule and lose the phone to me.  I literally slept with one daughter's phone-just would not follow the rule.  I checked online for texts and calls that were made after hours.  Fortunately, texting was not as big then as it is now.  They had 200 texts each in high school. My kids are all adults now (but we still share a plan because it is less expensive for everyone) and we have unlimited family texting.  All of us send and receive many texts each month-but never anywhere near the number my niece reaches.

6 of 7 (612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 7:22:23 PM
(0)
Scholar

ormom51 wrote:

This is drifting a little off topic but...

Carriers are starting to recognize that customer profile (heavy texting low talk minutes).  Virgin mobile has a nice no contract plan for $25 month that gives only 300 minutes of talk; but unlimited text and email.  Its a popular plan with teenagers.

ormom51 wrote:

This is drifting a little off topic but...

Carriers are starting to recognize that customer profile (heavy texting low talk minutes).  Virgin mobile has a nice no contract plan for $25 month that gives only 300 minutes of talk; but unlimited text and email.  Its a popular plan with teenagers.

7 of 7 (589 Views)