Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 11, 2011
6:26:59 PM
View profile
Photos not going by MMS

Well my Samsun a187 is not sending photos by MMS at all to my email address. I have checked my spam/junk mail folders and they aren't there.  However, I'm being charged for the messages.  The email address is correct since I can send myself a text message.

So what's up?

Well my Samsun a187 is not sending photos by MMS at all to my email address. I have checked my spam/junk mail folders and they aren't there.  However, I'm being charged for the messages.  The email address is correct since I can send myself a text message.

So what's up?

Photos not going by MMS

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2011 2:53:16 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hey crlannen, 

Sorry to hear you're having a problem getting MMS photos to your email address. A couple questions:

Was this working before and stopped?

Have you made sure you're receiving other email at that address?

Have you tried sending an MMS to a different email address?

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Hey crlannen, 

Sorry to hear you're having a problem getting MMS photos to your email address. A couple questions:

Was this working before and stopped?

Have you made sure you're receiving other email at that address?

Have you tried sending an MMS to a different email address?

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Photos not going by MMS

2 of 9 (560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2011 6:35:22 PM
(0)
Contributor

This is the first time I've attempted to send photos.

I can send a text message to the email address with no problem and receive it.  They finally came through went I sent them to one of my gmail accounts, but none would go to my business email (it's my business and not someone elses).

Very strange.

I can send a text message to the email address with no problem and receive it.  They finally came through went I sent them to one of my gmail accounts, but none would go to my business email (it's my business and not someone elses).

Very strange.

3 of 9 (554 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2011 1:38:00 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by OnlytheShadowKnows on Sep 13, 2011 at 1:50:32 PM

crlannen wrote:

Very strange.

Hello crlannen,

I am dumb-founded.  One learns something new every day about Google.  And the strange part is that your MMS message to the "gmail" account worked.

I want to avoid techie explanations, but MMS operates over a combination of cellular voice (for the MMS header notification) and cellular data (for the MMS payload).  In your case, the MMS notification is the header (to: from: date: subject: ) and the MMS payload are the text body and photos.  The header, the first part, is delivered by a cellular "call", and the multimedia body, the second part, is delivered by HTTP.

This says that MMS messaging, and its simpler cousin text messaging, typically do not work with email addresses, as email operates solely over data (cellular or WiFi), using a completely different set of exchange protocols between mail client and mailserver.

This also says that the gmail.com mailservers (Google Mail) have built-in MMS gateways.

That is why you were able to mail a MMS message to your gmail account, and also why you were not able to mail the same MMS message to your business mailserver.

TEST:

Try mailing MMS messages to other email addresses in your contact list -- those without "gmail" handles.  I expect that you will get MMS errors on sending every single time.

crlannen wrote:

Very strange.

Hello crlannen,

I am dumb-founded.  One learns something new every day about Google.  And the strange part is that your MMS message to the "gmail" account worked.

I want to avoid techie explanations, but MMS operates over a combination of cellular voice (for the MMS header notification) and cellular data (for the MMS payload).  In your case, the MMS notification is the header (to: from: date: subject: ) and the MMS payload are the text body and photos.  The header, the first part, is delivered by a cellular "call", and the multimedia body, the second part, is delivered by HTTP.

This says that MMS messaging, and its simpler cousin text messaging, typically do not work with email addresses, as email operates solely over data (cellular or WiFi), using a completely different set of exchange protocols between mail client and mailserver.

This also says that the gmail.com mailservers (Google Mail) have built-in MMS gateways.

That is why you were able to mail a MMS message to your gmail account, and also why you were not able to mail the same MMS message to your business mailserver.

TEST:

Try mailing MMS messages to other email addresses in your contact list -- those without "gmail" handles.  I expect that you will get MMS errors on sending every single time.

[ Edited ]
4 of 9 (541 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2011 5:04:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

OnlytheShadowKnows wrote:

crlannen wrote:

Very strange.

Hello crlannen,

TEST:

I've never had any trouble sending SMS or MMS to e-mail addresses.  Can't recall if I've ever tried MMS with a g-mail account, but I routinely send them to yahoo, sbcglobal.net, and company server e-mail addys. Smiley Happy  (I do recall occasionally seeing users mention they aren't able to send MMS to various types of e-mail accounts, but I've never had any issues with the ones I have needed to use.  IIRC, when I've seen people say they were having problems, it sounded like the e-mail provider doesn't support the content type - the recipient would just see a red x in place of the content, or something along those lines.)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

crlannen wrote:

Very strange.

Hello crlannen,

TEST:

I've never had any trouble sending SMS or MMS to e-mail addresses.  Can't recall if I've ever tried MMS with a g-mail account, but I routinely send them to yahoo, sbcglobal.net, and company server e-mail addys. Smiley Happy  (I do recall occasionally seeing users mention they aren't able to send MMS to various types of e-mail accounts, but I've never had any issues with the ones I have needed to use.  IIRC, when I've seen people say they were having problems, it sounded like the e-mail provider doesn't support the content type - the recipient would just see a red x in place of the content, or something along those lines.)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 9 (508 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2011 11:22:23 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by OnlytheShadowKnows on Sep 16, 2011 at 11:24:24 AM

hme83, you haven't had trouble only because your phone is doing the text/MMS to email conversion.  It is your phone that is performing the gateway function.

My iPhone, for example, (under iOS 4.2.1, the latest 3G release), will not provide that gateway function, and email addresses for texting or multi-media messaging (MMS) will fail to be delivered, unless I use the separate Google Voice APP (or webclip).

My explanation of the difference in technologies is accurate:  texting is over the cellular voice network (thus the limit of 140 characters), and MMS messaging is over the combination of the cellular voice network for the header, and HTTP over the data network (cellular or WiFi) for the body.  More accurately:  the MMS body is always POSTed via HTTP to an intermediate gateway where the target recipient goes to GET via HTTP this body indexed by a URL on the received header.

Cutting through all this techie mumbo-jumbo, this says (to me) that your phone is performing the email gateway function:

That is, whenever you post an email address on the To: field, the text/MMS is sent exclusively over your data plan.

TEST THIS:

To prove this, shutdown your cellular access, and send a text/MMS to an email address.  Your phone will use WiFi. (assuming that your phone is WiFi enabled).  And report back, hme83.  It is your phone.  Thanks.

hme83, you haven't had trouble only because your phone is doing the text/MMS to email conversion.  It is your phone that is performing the gateway function.

My iPhone, for example, (under iOS 4.2.1, the latest 3G release), will not provide that gateway function, and email addresses for texting or multi-media messaging (MMS) will fail to be delivered, unless I use the separate Google Voice APP (or webclip).

My explanation of the difference in technologies is accurate:  texting is over the cellular voice network (thus the limit of 140 characters), and MMS messaging is over the combination of the cellular voice network for the header, and HTTP over the data network (cellular or WiFi) for the body.  More accurately:  the MMS body is always POSTed via HTTP to an intermediate gateway where the target recipient goes to GET via HTTP this body indexed by a URL on the received header.

Cutting through all this techie mumbo-jumbo, this says (to me) that your phone is performing the email gateway function:

That is, whenever you post an email address on the To: field, the text/MMS is sent exclusively over your data plan.

TEST THIS:

To prove this, shutdown your cellular access, and send a text/MMS to an email address.  Your phone will use WiFi. (assuming that your phone is WiFi enabled).  And report back, hme83.  It is your phone.  Thanks.

[ Edited ]
6 of 9 (496 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2011 5:41:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on Sep 17, 2011 at 6:30:09 AM

TEST THIS:

No testing needed - I understand the difference between MMS and SMS.

I was merely pointing out that your statement from a post above - "This says that MMS messaging, and its simpler cousin text messaging, typically do not work with email addresses, as email operates solely over data (cellular or WiFi), using a completely different set of exchange protocols between mail client and mailserver." is not accurate as I have no trouble sending MMS to e-mail accounts that are with many various e-mail providers.  Maybe you weren't intending to generally state that MMS/SMS to e-mail accounts is not possible, but that's how I took it.

If it is that the device lacks the SMS to e-mail gateway provisioning from within the menu options of the phone - one thing that may work (at least for SMS - I don't know that I've ever tried to use it with MMS) is a trick that long time member Blue4Life provided to me.  (I haven't looked at the E7, but my Noka E70 lacks the menu support for establishing the SMS to e-mail gateway settings.)  Use the telephone number of 36245 (send the SMS to this number) - and within the body of the SMS, first type the full e-mail address; then place a space between it and the body of the message you want to send. 

This work around has provided me with a way to stay in contact with others numerous times when traveling to areas without adequate network capacity for cellular data support (i.e. e-mail application/web functionality). Smiley Happy  I've eased the process of using it by establishing a contact to 36245 (spells "email"), and then I've set up a messaging template for each frequently used e-mail address, so that when I have the need to use it it's almost as simple as using SMS to e-mail on a phone that supports it from the menu system.

I will say that I don't recall seeing iPhone users indicate that this was working for them when the original iPhone was released and many users were distraught over it's lack of messaging support to e-mail addresses, so I don't know if there is something different about the iPhone; but it may be helpful to users of other devices.  (Although in this case it sounds like the OP isn't having trouble any longer with receiving MMS anywhere except within his own company e-mail system.)

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

TEST THIS:

No testing needed - I understand the difference between MMS and SMS.

I was merely pointing out that your statement from a post above - "This says that MMS messaging, and its simpler cousin text messaging, typically do not work with email addresses, as email operates solely over data (cellular or WiFi), using a completely different set of exchange protocols between mail client and mailserver." is not accurate as I have no trouble sending MMS to e-mail accounts that are with many various e-mail providers.  Maybe you weren't intending to generally state that MMS/SMS to e-mail accounts is not possible, but that's how I took it.

If it is that the device lacks the SMS to e-mail gateway provisioning from within the menu options of the phone - one thing that may work (at least for SMS - I don't know that I've ever tried to use it with MMS) is a trick that long time member Blue4Life provided to me.  (I haven't looked at the E7, but my Noka E70 lacks the menu support for establishing the SMS to e-mail gateway settings.)  Use the telephone number of 36245 (send the SMS to this number) - and within the body of the SMS, first type the full e-mail address; then place a space between it and the body of the message you want to send. 

This work around has provided me with a way to stay in contact with others numerous times when traveling to areas without adequate network capacity for cellular data support (i.e. e-mail application/web functionality). Smiley Happy  I've eased the process of using it by establishing a contact to 36245 (spells "email"), and then I've set up a messaging template for each frequently used e-mail address, so that when I have the need to use it it's almost as simple as using SMS to e-mail on a phone that supports it from the menu system.

I will say that I don't recall seeing iPhone users indicate that this was working for them when the original iPhone was released and many users were distraught over it's lack of messaging support to e-mail addresses, so I don't know if there is something different about the iPhone; but it may be helpful to users of other devices.  (Although in this case it sounds like the OP isn't having trouble any longer with receiving MMS anywhere except within his own company e-mail system.)

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
7 of 9 (484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2011 6:14:35 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by OnlytheShadowKnows on Sep 17, 2011 at 6:29:09 AM

Ahhh!  hme83, 10-4.

(I know this is outside the scope of the original post).  I did what you exactly suggested, and it worked on my iPhone.  I received on email from the "36245" AT&T gateway the following "Hello World" text:

Hello World

--

==================================================================

This mobile text message is brought to you by AT&T

Thanks!  (the text-to-email experiment cost me 20cents *grin*)

Ahhh!  hme83, 10-4.

(I know this is outside the scope of the original post).  I did what you exactly suggested, and it worked on my iPhone.  I received on email from the "36245" AT&T gateway the following "Hello World" text:

Hello World

--

[ Edited ]
8 of 9 (482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2011 6:37:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ahhh!  hme83, 10-4.

Hello World

--

Yea!!!  I'm always happy to spend others' money. Smiley Very Happy  But I'm also very glad to hear that B4L's "trick" worked for you/your iPhone as well. Smiley Happy

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Ahhh!  hme83, 10-4.

Hello World

--

Yea!!!  I'm always happy to spend others' money. Smiley Very Happy  But I'm also very glad to hear that B4L's "trick" worked for you/your iPhone as well. Smiley Happy

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

9 of 9 (477 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments