Phones obsolete after May 15, 2011

Tutor

Phones obsolete after May 15, 2011

[ Edited ]

Received mail from ATT Wireless stating that my phones will no longer be able to make calls or receive calls after May 15, 2011 due to network upgrades. I am being offered free phones, but I need to choose a new rate plan. My phones are the Nokia 6102 and Samsung x426 with GSM 850/1900 capability. What is it about the network upgrades that make these phones obsolete?

Message 1 of 103 (12,281 Views)

Re: Phones obsolete after May 15, 2011

Are you an ATT employee?

Message 16 of 103 (3,746 Views)
Expert

charlietango wrote:

Are you an ATT employee?

you can easily tell a ATT employee that is posting on their own time and opinion - they are required to put a disclaimer in their signature by corproate policy, if they fail to do so they could probably get in serious trouble with HR. If you don;t see it, it is a pretty good indication that they are not an employee and you are makng the wrong assumption. Add to the fact the only official att presence here is for moderation, period - other then that it is a peer to peer forum

Message 17 of 103 (3,736 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

One note there is no such then as "unlocked" iphone in the US that has not been hacked to do make it so. 

I beg to differ. I'll point you to at least two GSM phones sold by the manufacturer as unlocked.

Google Nexus One, now only sold to developers, it originally was available online directly from Google to anyone www.google.com/phone/detail/nexus-one

Nokia X6 Unlocked GSM Phone available unlocked from an official Nokia dealer, Amazon.com www.amazon.com/Nokia-Unlocked-Camera-Capacitive-Navigation/dp/B0036DDT74

Which makes the rest of the following arguments are largely irrelevant. We are not able to keep our unlimited data plans (except with some hard barganing with individual AT&T reps) like millions of current customers are.

As to the rent argument, a landlord, without city imposed rent control, you can raise the rents anytime you want after the lease has been completed for whatever reason. And tenants can leave, too. Good landlords try to maximize rents while at the same time trying not to start a mass exodus of tenants to cheaper digs. Since AT&T Mobility is a regulated utility they have some restraints on what they can charge.

The Wall Street Journal reports on a loophole to restore unlimited data plans for those who had them before AT&T unlimited data loophole exposed

Message 18 of 103 (3,713 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

spdickey1 wrote:

One note there is no such then as "unlocked" iphone in the US that has not been hacked to do make it so. 

I beg to differ. I'll point you to at least two GSM phones sold by the manufacturer as unlocked.

Google Nexus One, now only sold to developers, it originally was available online directly from Google to anyone www.google.com/phone/detail/nexus-one

Nokia X6 Unlocked GSM Phone available unlocked from an official Nokia dealer, Amazon.com www.amazon.com/Nokia-Unlocked-Camera-Capacitive-Navigation/dp/B0036DDT74

Which makes the rest of the following arguments are largely irrelevant. We are not able to keep our unlimited data plans (except with some hard barganing with individual AT&T reps) like millions of current customers are.

I think that you missed that the other poster was referring to iPhones specifically, not all phones.  There are many other GSM phones available in the US that are unlocked.

Message 19 of 103 (3,690 Views)
Teacher

Yes, i missed the "i" in iphone. However jailbreaking/unlocking the iPhone is perfectly legal under the DMCA and having done so doesn't change ones relationship with the mobile phone carrier. It may invialidate your warranty with Apple, but how does that excuse AT&T from the wrongs they are doing as alledged in the class action I posted earlier?

It is Now Legal to Jailbreak Your iPhone http://www.devx.com/wireless/Article/45241

Message 20 of 103 (3,655 Views)
Former Employee

I don't know guys, I did one of those migrations for a customer today and they actually got more minutes for the same price with the new plan (and a new phone for free with no contract). So here are few people here who's loosing older cheap plans, but there are probably just as many people who will get better plans for the same price or cheaper.  So.

Message 21 of 103 (3,777 Views)
Expert

spdickey1 wrote:

Yes, i missed the "i" in iphone. However jailbreaking/unlocking the iPhone is perfectly legal under the DMCA and having done so doesn't change ones relationship with the mobile phone carrier. It may invialidate your warranty with Apple, but how does that excuse AT&T from the wrongs they are doing as alledged in the class action I posted earlier?

It is Now Legal to Jailbreak Your iPhone http://www.devx.com/wireless/Article/45241

Basicy it states that the manufacturer will not prosecute you for theft of IP - but it also allows them to tell you that you are the proud owner of a 600 or 700 dollar paper weight if something goes wrong.

Message 22 of 103 (3,751 Views)
Master

Regardless of whether or not it's legal is irrelevant.  iPhones aren't permitted to be used with GoPhone plans, and they have to be unlocked to be used with "Blue" plans...so in either case, you are violating the EULA of the phone if you do either.

spdickey1 wrote:

Message 23 of 103 (3,726 Views)
Contributor

durum_bass wrote:

I don't know guys, I did one of those migrations for a customer today and they actually got more minutes for the same price with the new plan (and a new phone for free with no contract). So here are few people here who's loosing older cheap plans, but there are probably just as many people who will get better plans for the same price or cheaper.  So.

'Just as many' ?

I am certain you can find a few 'exceptions' out there where some guy on an old blue plan might now come out ahead switching to one of the new plans, but, 'just as many' coming out ahead on this forced migration vs. those who are not?  Highly debatable statement.  You think in the 6 or so years since the last 'blue plan' was sold that a whole bunch of them (as in 50%) never once looked at a modern plan and price compared?  Especially considering they would have had no contractual obligation to stay with a this theoretical 'expensive blue plan' you speak of?

At any rate, if you truly think we can come out ahead.  Help me out.  I'll give you a sale if you can help me come out ahead.

Can you beat this?  Or can you come anywhere close to this?  My hunch is you can't even get me this plan for less than TWICE what I currently pay.  But, if you could get anywhere within $10 a month of what I'm currently paying on a plan the same or better than what I have, then, you earn the sale (and the commission)

Home call area (i.e.. no long distance or roaming): USA and Canada

Anytime minutes per month: 950

Weekend minutes: unlimited

Weeknight minutes: unlimited

Weeknights start at: 7PM

Mobile to mobile minutes: unlimited

Incoming SMS: Free

Price per month: $49

(I have a company discount that brings it down to $41, but, we can apply that to whatever you quote me as well).

So, can you get me a voice plan just as that, and you've got a sale, and at the same time get to prove your statement is true (for my case) that: 'So here are few people here who's loosing older cheap plans, but there are probably just as many people who will get better plans for the same price or cheaper'

I enthusiastically await your offer

Message 24 of 103 (3,693 Views)

I also await for the offer...btw in addition to what person above said, my weekday time starts at 7.00 am instead of 5.00 am.

Message 25 of 103 (3,668 Views)

drumn bass

I will even buy my own phone...now can you match my current plan at the same price that I am paying now.

Message 26 of 103 (3,613 Views)
Professor

charlietango wrote:

drumn bass

I will even buy my own phone...now can you match my current plan at the same price that I am paying now.

Over the years I have seen my cable bill go up, my landline phone bill go up, my gas bill go up, my water bill go up, and my electric bill can go up if I don't have it under contract. Why would you expect it to be any different for your cell bill? When you sign a contract with AT&T it is only for two years, beyond that you are month to month if you do not sign a new contract. You should feel fortunate that AT&T has allowed you to continue for so long with a discontinued plan when you are not under contract for that plan. Your contract for having that plan expired long ago. It's unfortunate for you that you will be getting less for more now, but AT&T is not being unfair with you. They are offering you the same plans that everyone else has and nothing less. They could have made you switch years ago when they discontinued the plan or your contract expired. The fact that you are willing to buy your own unsubsidized phone has no bearing. Anyone can do that. The issue is with the plan. The fact of the matter is, even though your plan has been discontinued for many years, AT&T is finally getting around to eliminating it.

Message 27 of 103 (3,566 Views)
Former Employee

I'm not here to sell anything. It is what it is.

Message 28 of 103 (3,582 Views)

gradual increases are fine. But if you end up paying 100% more for the same service, that is the killer.

Message 29 of 103 (3,530 Views)
Master

Except you've been allowed to keep the same plan LONG after it's been retired, so you never saw the gradual increases in price that most of us saw upgrading ever couple of years.  So you're going to pay market rates for a new plan, which unfortunately are going to be higher than what you were playing.  It's well documented that AT&T Wireless gave away the bank on plans and upgrades and freebies to keep customers to pump up their market value for the acquisition by Cingular.  If AT&T says "no more", then you have two choices - accept a new plan or move on.  It really is that simple.

Message 30 of 103 (3,474 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.