Wireless Forums

Posted Jan 23, 2011
10:54:22 AM
Phones obsolete after May 15, 2011

Received mail from ATT Wireless stating that my phones will no longer be able to make calls or receive calls after May 15, 2011 due to network upgrades. I am being offered free phones, but I need to choose a new rate plan. My phones are the Nokia 6102 and Samsung x426 with GSM 850/1900 capability. What is it about the network upgrades that make these phones obsolete?

102 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(102)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2011 2:46:06 AM
(0)
Professor

dmapr wrote:

Well, the current expiration date for Blue SIMs is set to August 31st — your old phones will still work fine, as long as they're unlocked and support necessary bands.

I am all good with this.  I dont have any blue sims and all my phones are current to date (well, they're not LTE) but still got some good years to go.  As fr as still holding on to a Blue Simcard/old phones,  there comes a time to simply "let go".  All of my former phones are resting in "pieces" over in Cellphone SIMetery

"...rest in peace, my T-160...I still remember your mMode..."

t610.jpg

dmapr wrote:

Well, the current expiration date for Blue SIMs is set to August 31st — your old phones will still work fine, as long as they're unlocked and support necessary bands.

I am all good with this.  I dont have any blue sims and all my phones are current to date (well, they're not LTE) but still got some good years to go.  As fr as still holding on to a Blue Simcard/old phones,  there comes a time to simply "let go".  All of my former phones are resting in "pieces" over in Cellphone SIMetery

t610.jpg

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

Re: Phones obsolete after May 15, 2011

91 of 103 (1,545 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2011 9:18:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

RicoLX wrote:

That time will come for sure — I just don't see any reason to jump the gun :smileyhappy: If it ain't broke…

RicoLX wrote:

That time will come for sure — I just don't see any reason to jump the gun :smileyhappy: If it ain't broke…

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

92 of 103 (1,524 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2011 1:07:11 AM
(0)
Professor
Ayemen, bretheren, ayyyyyyyemen :smileywink:
Ayemen, bretheren, ayyyyyyyemen :smileywink:

93 of 103 (1,516 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2011 6:00:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

BrianfromNO wrote:

Regardless of whether or not it's legal is irrelevant.  iPhones aren't permitted to be used with GoPhone plans, and they have to be unlocked to be used with "Blue" plans...so in either case, you are violating the EULA of the phone if you do either.

hmmm I have used my Iphone 3G unlocked for some time. Not sure how it would violate the EULA as the firmware and the iOS are not effected in anyway. Mine is not jailbroken, just unlocked. i have taken it to the AT&T store several times and was asked about it but not "questioned" as I had done something wrong. In fact the last update to my iPhone did not require me to unlock the phone. So either Apple unlocked the carrier restrictions of AT&T did.

BrianfromNO wrote:

Regardless of whether or not it's legal is irrelevant.  iPhones aren't permitted to be used with GoPhone plans, and they have to be unlocked to be used with "Blue" plans...so in either case, you are violating the EULA of the phone if you do either.

hmmm I have used my Iphone 3G unlocked for some time. Not sure how it would violate the EULA as the firmware and the iOS are not effected in anyway. Mine is not jailbroken, just unlocked. i have taken it to the AT&T store several times and was asked about it but not "questioned" as I had done something wrong. In fact the last update to my iPhone did not require me to unlock the phone. So either Apple unlocked the carrier restrictions of AT&T did.

94 of 103 (1,404 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2011 3:29:55 PM
(0)
Tutor

spdickey1 wrote:

Got called back by Keith M. {personal information removed} at the "OPP" and here is his final offer...

$59.99 550 minutes + 200 additional (first used, non-rollover) minutes (which I won't get after TWO years, bummer)
4000 one time rollover minutes
Two Blackberry Curves
Unlimited data $30
Waive any sales tax on "free" phones
First month voice free ($59.99 credit)

A-List not available on the 550 plan, he said he tried. He'll note the account, send me, and the FCC, a letter confirming. I'll migrate in August (why pay more now!) and then call him back to get everything in the account if the high-schoolers at the AT&T Store can't do it. 

So I end up with 250 less minutes than today, 450 less after year two. I get the unlimited data I really wanted, and a $60 credit for the hassle of switching. All for $20 more a month than I'm paying today.

Plus a couple of Curves I can sell for around $300 each. And if/when T-Mobile has a better offer down the road (they might as the merger gets closer) I'll switch.

Positives for going through the hassle of complaining...

$30 UNLIMITED DATA
200 more minutes a month for the first two years
$60 one time credit
2000 extra bonus rollovers
Free sales tax

Wish list for next go around (I'll try again with retentions this summer, the offers might get even better later), A-List, monthly discounts on the rate rather than the $60 one time credit, A-List. I don't text.

which ATT department/number(s) you called to get this offer? I am just now starting this painful process of forced upgrade and the 611 rep i talked to had absolutely no idea what i was talking about. and what is "OPP". thanks for sharing. 

spdickey1 wrote:

Got called back by Keith M. {personal information removed} at the "OPP" and here is his final offer...

$59.99 550 minutes + 200 additional (first used, non-rollover) minutes (which I won't get after TWO years, bummer)
4000 one time rollover minutes
Two Blackberry Curves
Unlimited data $30
Waive any sales tax on "free" phones
First month voice free ($59.99 credit)

A-List not available on the 550 plan, he said he tried. He'll note the account, send me, and the FCC, a letter confirming. I'll migrate in August (why pay more now!) and then call him back to get everything in the account if the high-schoolers at the AT&T Store can't do it. 

So I end up with 250 less minutes than today, 450 less after year two. I get the unlimited data I really wanted, and a $60 credit for the hassle of switching. All for $20 more a month than I'm paying today.

Plus a couple of Curves I can sell for around $300 each. And if/when T-Mobile has a better offer down the road (they might as the merger gets closer) I'll switch.

Positives for going through the hassle of complaining...

$30 UNLIMITED DATA
200 more minutes a month for the first two years
$60 one time credit
2000 extra bonus rollovers
Free sales tax

Wish list for next go around (I'll try again with retentions this summer, the offers might get even better later), A-List, monthly discounts on the rate rather than the $60 one time credit, A-List. I don't text.

which ATT department/number(s) you called to get this offer? I am just now starting this painful process of forced upgrade and the 611 rep i talked to had absolutely no idea what i was talking about. and what is "OPP". thanks for sharing. 

95 of 103 (1,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2011 8:00:39 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by pamelaz on Aug 31, 2011 at 8:10:29 AM

The last post on this was in June. Today is Aug 31, D(isconnect)-Day! I read somewhere that they extended the deadline. Is this true? I was going to let my account expire and just move on to another carrier. {word filter evasion}.. they were feeding us. Just give me new sim cards, but NOOOOOO. I'll continue to wait until they disconnect me and then move on. If i'm going to pay more, I'd rather do it with someone else.

The last post on this was in June. Today is Aug 31, D(isconnect)-Day! I read somewhere that they extended the deadline. Is this true? I was going to let my account expire and just move on to another carrier. {word filter evasion}.. they were feeding us. Just give me new sim cards, but NOOOOOO. I'll continue to wait until they disconnect me and then move on. If i'm going to pay more, I'd rather do it with someone else.

[ Edited ]
96 of 103 (458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2011 7:04:48 PM
(0)
Professor
Makes u wonder, doesnt it? I have a sidekick working on att network. Wondering if this device would be on the phased , if not released on att, list and what of those devices never released on att but unlocked for our services.... I certainly understand the needfor replacing sim cards that should be the first thing one would want to do first.
Makes u wonder, doesnt it? I have a sidekick working on att network. Wondering if this device would be on the phased , if not released on att, list and what of those devices never released on att but unlocked for our services.... I certainly understand the needfor replacing sim cards that should be the first thing one would want to do first.

97 of 103 (432 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2011 8:04:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Yes, they extended the deadline although they did not announce the new expiration date. I eventually decided to just add my number to my wife's family plan as it was way cheaper than my old blue plan and I'm not using all those minutes anyway. Since the only thing that kept me on the Blue plan (free incoming messages) has stopped working back in April, the decision to move was quite easy.
Yes, they extended the deadline although they did not announce the new expiration date. I eventually decided to just add my number to my wife's family plan as it was way cheaper than my old blue plan and I'm not using all those minutes anyway. Since the only thing that kept me on the Blue plan (free incoming messages) has stopped working back in April, the decision to move was quite easy.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

98 of 103 (380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2011 8:24:56 AM
(0)
Professor
How was the transition? Was it like they say..t he bloo light at the end of the tunnel? Kiddn... Yep todays plans and deals may in some cases, be just as practical as the ones weve held onto.... Glad you made the transition. See! All your ole buddies are here and been ......."waitn for.......youuuu" :smileywink:
How was the transition? Was it like they say..t he bloo light at the end of the tunnel? Kiddn... Yep todays plans and deals may in some cases, be just as practical as the ones weve held onto.... Glad you made the transition. See! All your ole buddies are here and been ......."waitn for.......youuuu" :smileywink:

99 of 103 (377 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2011 4:48:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by dmapr on Sep 13, 2011 at 4:58:04 PM

The transition was very smooth. He first moved my line over to Orange, keeping all of the features (discounted international dialing, roaming, etc.), then added it to the family plan and added a messaging block. Took all of 15 minutes :smileyhappy:

The transition was very smooth. He first moved my line over to Orange, keeping all of the features (discounted international dialing, roaming, etc.), then added it to the family plan and added a messaging block. Took all of 15 minutes :smileyhappy:

[ Edited ]
100 of 103 (342 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2011 4:57:27 PM
(0)
Professor
That was very smooth! Glad everything stayed intact. All my lines are on the orange so we have no shockers to go through. I wonder if we can contribute old blue sims to Atts evolution project?
That was very smooth! Glad everything stayed intact. All my lines are on the orange so we have no shockers to go through. I wonder if we can contribute old blue sims to Atts evolution project?

101 of 103 (350 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2011 5:04:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

RicoLX wrote:

Thanks! I already contributed mine to a fellow forumite :smileyhappy:

RicoLX wrote:

Thanks! I already contributed mine to a fellow forumite :smileyhappy:

102 of 103 (348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2011 6:13:14 PM
(0)
Professor
Forumists these days,...tsk, tsk, tsk :smileyvery-happy: (kidding, ive always wanted say that )

Forumists these days,...tsk, tsk, tsk :smileyvery-happy: (kidding, ive always wanted say that )

103 of 103 (338 Views)