Phones obsolete after May 15, 2011

Tutor

Phones obsolete after May 15, 2011

[ Edited ]

Received mail from ATT Wireless stating that my phones will no longer be able to make calls or receive calls after May 15, 2011 due to network upgrades. I am being offered free phones, but I need to choose a new rate plan. My phones are the Nokia 6102 and Samsung x426 with GSM 850/1900 capability. What is it about the network upgrades that make these phones obsolete?

Message 1 of 103 (12,306 Views)
Contributor

Re: Phones obsolete after May 15, 2011

[ Edited ]

fcampana wrote:

Received mail from ATT Wireless stating that my phones will no longer be able to make calls or receive calls after May 15, 2011 due to network upgrades. I am being offered free phones, but I need to choose a new rate plan. My phones are the Nokia 6102 and Samsung x426 with GSM 850/1900 capability. What is it about the network upgrades that make these phones obsolete?

The plan I have on the blue network is actually similar to the new plan I'm being offered so thats not a big deal to me. My issue is having to get a new phone and likly for B*S reasons. My Samsung 426 is rugged and has worked great for years. We like it. Its a dual band GSM and should be no issue in the US. So why is ATT telling, no insisting that my "phone" is obsolete and will not work?  Has ATT changed the GSM frequencies? I don't use or want data coverage, use voice only. I should only need a new sim card for THEIR network change. And the free phones offered are pieces of plastic crap that don't last a YEAR.  I've been with Cellular1/ATT/Cingular and now back to ATT, actually started with a bag phone, I've been with them that long.     So what does all that loyalty mean?     zip, zero, nada, goose egg, not a dam thing

Seems like the B*S is even deeper with this one, claiming tech issues to force you into a data capable phone so you have to buy a data plan as well like it or not.  The T Mobile commercials capture it perfectly.

Message 76 of 103 (1,735 Views)
Employee

about at&t never changing your plan the thing is technically you don't have at&t you have Cingular who bought at&t and took the name. but if you have that in writing fight for it.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 77 of 103 (1,710 Views)
Tutor

JFizDaWiz wrote:
about at&t never changing your plan the thing is technically you don't have at&t you have Cingular who bought at&t and took the name. but if you have that in writing fight for it.

Wrong.  He may have bought Cingular but when at&t bought Cingular they bought all of Cingulars commitments and liabilities at the same time. 

Message 78 of 103 (1,656 Views)
Tutor

JohnMT wrote:

The plan I have on the blue network is actually similar to the new plan I'm being offered so thats not a big deal to me. My issue is having to get a new phone and likly for B*S reasons. My Samsung 426 is rugged and has worked great for years. We like it. Its a dual band GSM and should be no issue in the US. So why is ATT telling, no insisting that my "phone" is obsolete and will not work?  Has ATT changed the GSM frequencies? I don't use or want data coverage, use voice only. I should only need a new sim card for THEIR network change. And the free phones offered are pieces of plastic crap that don't last a YEAR.  I've been with Cellular1/ATT/Cingular and now back to ATT, actually started with a bag phone, I've been with them that long.     So what does all that loyalty mean?     zip, zero, nada, goose egg, not a dam thing

Seems like the B*S is even deeper with this one, claiming tech issues to force you into a data capable phone so you have to buy a data plan as well like it or not.  The T Mobile commercials capture it perfectly.

I agree but the problem is the phone is locked to the sim card.  With blue the your phone may have been locked to an "AT&T" sim and a new sim the card will report "at&t".  Unless your phone is unlocked (which at&t many or may not have the ability to change) you cannot use the new sim card in your phone.  Your best bet, see if your phone can be unlocked and then put the sim card from one of the new phones in it to continue to use it.

Message 79 of 103 (1,655 Views)
Contributor

Thanks, my phone was unlocked long ago, I can use any sim card. Took the new phone, now if I can just get the da*m sim card out!
Message 80 of 103 (1,628 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Got called back by Keith M. {personal information removed} at the "OPP" and here is his final offer...

$59.99 550 minutes + 200 additional (first used, non-rollover) minutes (which I won't get after TWO years, bummer)
4000 one time rollover minutes
Two Blackberry Curves
Unlimited data $30
Waive any sales tax on "free" phones
First month voice free ($59.99 credit)

A-List not available on the 550 plan, he said he tried. He'll note the account, send me, and the FCC, a letter confirming. I'll migrate in August (why pay more now!) and then call him back to get everything in the account if the high-schoolers at the AT&T Store can't do it. 

So I end up with 250 less minutes than today, 450 less after year two. I get the unlimited data I really wanted, and a $60 credit for the hassle of switching. All for $20 more a month than I'm paying today.

Plus a couple of Curves I can sell for around $300 each. And if/when T-Mobile has a better offer down the road (they might as the merger gets closer) I'll switch.

Positives for going through the hassle of complaining...

$30 UNLIMITED DATA
200 more minutes a month for the first two years
$60 one time credit
2000 extra bonus rollovers
Free sales tax

Wish list for next go around (I'll try again with retentions this summer, the offers might get even better later), A-List, monthly discounts on the rate rather than the $60 one time credit, A-List. I don't text.

Message 81 of 103 (1,685 Views)
Employee

braveit1, Cingular bought AT&T. They decided to just take AT&T's name.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 82 of 103 (1,673 Views)
Professor

Is there a list of phones that will not work under the new and improved 3G (oops, they're calling it 4G/LTE, my bad)..?

For the most part, customers have 3g phones that will continue to operate but wont access 4G (lol).  Which phones in ATT's catalog will not be supported? is there a list for us to review so know what NOT to order?

Message 83 of 103 (1,643 Views)
ACE - Expert

RicoLX wrote:

Is there a list of phones that will not work under the new and improved 3G (oops, they're calling it 4G/LTE, my bad)..?

For the most part, customers have 3g phones that will continue to operate but wont access 4G (lol).  Which phones in ATT's catalog will not be supported? is there a list for us to review so know what NOT to order?

No, basically all GSM 850/1900-capable phones will work on AT&T network. In this thread we're talking about people who're being notified by AT&T because of the SIM cards they use, not the phones. I could be using my SIM card in an iPhone 4 and I would still get those notifications from AT&T. They just chose to say that the phones will stop working (completely false statement) whereas they'll just disallow our SIM cards from roaming on their network.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 84 of 103 (1,623 Views)
Professor

Yes, now that makes sense. I can see a batch of sim cards needing replaced. Thanks for the clarification.
Message 85 of 103 (1,618 Views)
ACE - Expert

RicoLX wrote:
Yes, now that makes sense. I can see a batch of sim cards needing replaced. Thanks for the clarification.

You're welcome!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 86 of 103 (1,616 Views)
Employee

but a time may come if you have a blue plan and a nnew similar they'll catch on
Employee Contributor*
Message 87 of 103 (1,578 Views)
Professor

Yes, its nice to be able to stick my sim in any of my older phones I can use for backup, but I bet you are right jfiz, we ay not get to do that much longer, especially with a bluesim
Message 88 of 103 (1,570 Views)
Professor

Yes, its nice to be able to stick my sim in any of my older phones I can use for backup, but I bet you are right jfiz, we ay not get to do that much longer, especially with a bluesim

Message 89 of 103 (1,570 Views)
ACE - Expert

RicoLX wrote:

Well, the current expiration date for Blue SIMs is set to August 31st — your old phones will still work fine, as long as they're unlocked and support necessary bands.

Message 90 of 103 (1,544 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.