Phones obsolete after May 15, 2011

Tutor

Phones obsolete after May 15, 2011

[ Edited ]

Received mail from ATT Wireless stating that my phones will no longer be able to make calls or receive calls after May 15, 2011 due to network upgrades. I am being offered free phones, but I need to choose a new rate plan. My phones are the Nokia 6102 and Samsung x426 with GSM 850/1900 capability. What is it about the network upgrades that make these phones obsolete?

Message 1 of 103 (12,256 Views)
Professor

Re: Phones obsolete after May 15, 2011

BrianfromNO wrote:

The plans you are on are going away.  Either get a new plan, or find a different carrier.  It's really that simple.

And that was an easy decision to make.  I had been an AT&T Wireless/Cingular/AT&T Mobility customer for just shy of forever.  Color me gone.

Message 46 of 103 (2,143 Views)
Teacher

Another long timer saying goodbye. Family plans near my 1000 minutes, unlimited data would cost 30% more and reduce minutes to 700. Plus losing free incoming texts. All that plus a Palm Pixi Plus worth no more than $50? Sorry, no thanks. You can keep the unlimited data for $5 per line, and perhaps get 7pm nights and a bucket of minutes if you yammer at them long enough. Still costs more for less service.

Going to T-Mobile who Friday and Saturday offers me a pair of free 4G HTC Android phones, unlimited data and 700 minutes for $119/mo with a 2 year contract. Can you hear me AT&T?

Message 47 of 103 (2,119 Views)
Master

JT wrote:

BrianfromNO wrote:

The plans you are on are going away.  Either get a new plan, or find a different carrier.  It's really that simple.

And that was an easy decision to make.  I had been an AT&T Wireless/Cingular/AT&T Mobility customer for just shy of forever.  Color me gone.

Yep, that's just too bad, it seems... Hey, if it doesn't work, go to something/someone that does.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 48 of 103 (2,118 Views)
Master

spdickey1 wrote:

Another long timer saying goodbye. Family plans near my 1000 minutes, unlimited data would cost 30% more and reduce minutes to 700. Plus losing free incoming texts. All that plus a Palm Pixi Plus worth no more than $50? Sorry, no thanks. You can keep the unlimited data for $5 per line, and perhaps get 7pm nights and a bucket of minutes if you yammer at them long enough. Still costs more for less service.

Going to T-Mobile who Friday and Saturday offers me a pair of free 4G HTC Android phones, unlimited data and 700 minutes for $119/mo with a 2 year contract. Can you hear me AT&T?

That's too bad that your plan/service is no longer working out to fit your needs. I hope you have a better experience at T-Mobile. But before you receive your new phones, did you take the time to review their coverage maps for your area or surrounding areas? I'm sure T-Mobile's coverage is adequate in your area, but you never know. Coverage is more important than any [lower] cost. Good luck to you!

Message 49 of 103 (2,114 Views)
Scholar

Oh well. There goes 2 more thats leavin. One of them was with ATT for 15 years! Do they really wanna start charging for incoming texts? Wow,thats just wrong. I love ATT. But they sure do nickle&dime u to death.
Message 50 of 103 (2,108 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

I have a question.  I purchased a Samsung Solstice 2 in December last year.  Will I still be able to make and receive calls on it after May 15, 2011?  Does this effect me?  My family and I have a newer account, switched from the old AT&T to Cingular and now the current AT&T.  Or is this just effecting people that have older AT&T accounts that have 2G phones?  

Message 51 of 103 (3,425 Views)
Professor

Since you have already switched from blue to orange, you have no worries.

Message 52 of 103 (3,406 Views)
Professor

Okay.  So this only effects the people that have the much older AT&T plans, the blue plans as they are referred to.

Message 53 of 103 (3,368 Views)
Contributor

I AGREE 110% IF MY SERVICE GETS TURNED OFF MAY 15TH,2011 AFTER 10 YEARS OF LOYAL SERVICE,  I WILL GLADLY TAKE MY LOYALTY TO A COMPANY WHO CARES ABOUT THERE CUSTOMERS!!! KEEP IN MIND IF YOUR SERVICE IS TURNED OFF BEFORE YOU SWITCH TO ANOTHER COMPANY YOU WILL LOSE YOUR PHONE NUMBER!!!

Message 54 of 103 (3,266 Views)
Master

jag67 wrote:

I AGREE 110% IF MY SERVICE GETS TURNED OFF MAY 15TH,2011 AFTER 10 YEARS OF LOYAL SERVICE,  I WILL GLADLY TAKE MY LOYALTY TO A COMPANY WHO CARES ABOUT THERE CUSTOMERS!!! KEEP IN MIND IF YOUR SERVICE IS TURNED OFF BEFORE YOU SWITCH TO ANOTHER COMPANY YOU WILL LOSE YOUR PHONE NUMBER!!!

Are you a part of an older "Blue" plan? Because you shouldn't need to worry if you're already on one of the "Orange" plans, as mentioned above...

Message 55 of 103 (3,225 Views)
Contributor

YES I AM PART OF THE OLD BLUE CUSTOMERS, BUT ATT WANTS US TO PAY MORE AND TAKE HALF OUR MINUTES AWAY!!THAT IS TOTAL HS

Message 56 of 103 (3,204 Views)
Employee

you'll probably have to go the prepaid route (boost/revol/etc) to get that kind of a plan as most carriers have the approx the same type of plans. 

AT&T let you have an expired plan for many years, I'd be grateful. At least they are giving yuou a new phgone for free and no contract extention because of this, they're not totalling pulling a fast one on you.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 57 of 103 (2,919 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

[ Edited ]

AT&T let you have an expired plan for many years, I'd be grateful. At least they are giving yuou a new phgone for free and no contract extention because of this, they're not totalling pulling a fast one on you.

If AT&T was doing the same thing to Orange subscribers that have had plans and feature codes since the merger time and forcing them migrate to just what is available to day for new subscribers, sure you have a leg to stand on. They aren't. You Orange subscribers with old features, old plans, old phones and SIMs can keep what you have without being forced to pay today's rates.

When that happens, your argument makes since. Right now we Blue subscribers are being singled out for this unfair forced final solution migration to new plans.

Or, perhaps they could give me an older Orange plan and features like many long time Orange customers still have. But so far, with many calls to AT&T, they haven't.

Message 58 of 103 (2,632 Views)
ACE - Expert

spdickey1 wrote:

If AT&T was doing the same thing to Orange subscribers that have had plans and feature codes since the merger time and forcing them migrate to just what is available to day for new subscribers, sure you have a leg to stand on. They aren't. You Orange subscribers with old features, old plans, old phones and SIMs can keep what you have without being forced to pay today's rates.

When that happens, your argument makes since. Right now we Blue subscribers are being singled out for this unfair forced final solution migration to new plans.

Or, perhaps they could give me an older Orange plan and features like many long time Orange customers still have. But so far, with many calls to AT&T, they haven't.

Good point. I have a friend who's on a $29.99 plan that hasn't been available since about the same time as Blue subscribers lost the ability to switch plans, 5-6 years. Nobody's telling him to “upgrade” (they did give him a new 310-410 homed SIM to replace his 310-170 homed one at some point without having to switch plans, something they're unwilling to do for us).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 59 of 103 (2,589 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use a Samsung Monte with a blue colored SIM card. Am I screwed?

Virgin Mobile has a $25 month unlimited text/email/data/web with 300 mins talk for $25.  Does AT&T have a comparable deal? Id' rather stay where I am, but gotta pay the rent, too.

Message 60 of 103 (2,414 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.