Phones obsolete after May 15, 2011

Tutor

Phones obsolete after May 15, 2011

[ Edited ]

Received mail from ATT Wireless stating that my phones will no longer be able to make calls or receive calls after May 15, 2011 due to network upgrades. I am being offered free phones, but I need to choose a new rate plan. My phones are the Nokia 6102 and Samsung x426 with GSM 850/1900 capability. What is it about the network upgrades that make these phones obsolete?

Message 1 of 103 (12,294 Views)
Tutor

Re: Phones obsolete after May 15, 2011

Ok... I went to an ATT store yesterday and try to get my new phones with NO service commitment required as stated in the letter... unfortunately their system just didn't allow them to give away the phones without doing a new 2 year contract.  The sales rep ended up calling the number on the letter and eventually the lady on the phone helped me ordered the phones instead WITH a new 2 year contract (since the system didn't allow her to do it either) and told me the contract would be taken out by the next billing cycle... so I am keeping my fingers crossed....

Message 31 of 103 (2,597 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

How did you do that with NO contract? I spent so much time yesterday in the store and the reps there had no idea what to do... They ended up calling the number on the letter and ordered the phones for me with a new 2 year contract and told me the contract would be removed by the next billing cycle... does it sound right?

Message 32 of 103 (2,595 Views)
Professor

mmvpp wrote:

Ok... I went to an ATT store yesterday and try to get my new phones with NO service commitment required as stated in the letter... unfortunately their system just didn't allow them to give away the phones without doing a new 2 year contract.  The sales rep ended up calling the number on the letter and eventually the lady on the phone helped me ordered the phones instead WITH a new 2 year contract (since the system didn't allow her to do it either) and told me the contract would be taken out by the next billing cycle... so I am keeping my fingers crossed....

Good luck with that. I'm not surprised they didn't know how to handle it in the store. This sounds like classic get screwed by AT&T. Poor communication and training is the main reason AT&T is constantly at the bottom of consumer surveys. And whom did they tell you is going to remove the contracts?

Message 33 of 103 (2,580 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

AT&T may have the lowest consumer support rankings from the surveys, but at least they claim to have the "Nation's Fastest 3G Network"... Smiley Wink I wonder if they think that would make up for it... Anyway, no one is perfect, at least they attempted to do things the right way... (But may not appear so "right").

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 34 of 103 (2,493 Views)
Former Employee

Here is how it works, yes, the system won't let us migrate the line without the 2 years contract, BUT, the same system then automatically reverses the contract and customers receive a letter letting them know that there is no contract. 

Message 35 of 103 (2,476 Views)
Tutor

I called that number on the letter again and spoke to another lady.  This lady sounded more knowlegeable.  She said I just have to wait for the phones to arrive and then activate them and the contract will automatically be removed after that.  She said this is just the way the system works... I will post again once I get the good news Smiley Happy.... or bad news...Smiley Mad

Message 36 of 103 (2,473 Views)
ACE - Expert

BrianfromNO wrote:

Regardless of whether or not it's legal is irrelevant.  iPhones aren't permitted to be used with GoPhone plans, and they have to be unlocked to be used with "Blue" plans...so in either case, you are violating the EULA of the phone if you do either. 

You can also buy imported unlocked iPhones from a variey of third party sellers — no need to violate any agreements at all. You may also pick one on a trip to Canada — all fair and square.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 37 of 103 (2,439 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

dmapr wrote:

BrianfromNO wrote:

Regardless of whether or not it's legal is irrelevant.  iPhones aren't permitted to be used with GoPhone plans, and they have to be unlocked to be used with "Blue" plans...so in either case, you are violating the EULA of the phone if you do either. 

You can also buy imported unlocked iPhones from a variey of third party sellers — no need to violate any agreements at all. You may also pick one on a trip to Canada — all fair and square.

Drawback is pay full price and chances of a local US apple store honoring the warranty is slim, it has to go back to country of origin. Suspect that if the local apple genius bar handles the warranty you get a ATT locked phone. even then the phone would not be permitted to be used on the GoPhone or the Blue plan since a 4 using a sim that does not exist on that plan

Message 38 of 103 (2,409 Views)
ACE - Expert

wingrider01 wrote:

Drawback is pay full price and chances of a local US apple store honoring the warranty is slim, it has to go back to country of origin. Suspect that if the local apple genius bar handles the warranty you get a ATT locked phone. even then the phone would not be permitted to be used on the GoPhone or the Blue plan since a 4 using a sim that does not exist on that plan

It certainly has its drawbacks, but that's besides the point. All I'm disputing is that you have to resort to hackery to get an iPhone on a Blue plan. As for “permitted” — as long as there isn't a T&C expressly forbidding one from doing it (such as, for example, tethering without a proper plan) I wouldn't say it's not permitted. It's not supported for sure, but then there's very little support left on the Blue side anyway.

At any rate, I believe that the number of Blue subscribers left is sufficiently small that for AT&T it's cheaper to just lose them than to keep them up and running, which is why I can't really complain. Sure they'd like to keep as many as they can and have them switch to Orange, but they won't go out of their way to do so.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 39 of 103 (2,382 Views)
Teacher

what is the phone number to reach att retention please?

Message 40 of 103 (2,204 Views)
Master

jdblue1969 wrote:

what is the phone number to reach att retention please?

You should be able to just call 1-800-331-0500 (or 611 from your phone) and tell customer service you want to terminate your service and/or specifically ask to be connected with the retentions department. 

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 41 of 103 (2,473 Views)
Tutor

This sucks!

I got one of those letters as well.  My current plan:

400 minutes + 300 anytime minutes + 60 bonus minutes = 760 minutes

Early nights and weekend (7pm)

Free nights and weekends

Free mobile to mobile.

$0.20 add't minutes

all for $40/month

I also have a small 1MB data plan in case of pocket browsing for $8.

I know the data plans are better but there isn't anything even close to what I have now.

I think we should be rewarded for not jumping ship every time someone new comes to the market.  Having to choose a new play is pentalizing us.  When I sighned up for this plan I has to pay $$$ for a good phone.  I have also purchased several additional phones without a contract from AT&T and kept my plan so it's not like I have been given some kind of a free ride.  I didn't get a new phone for free each year unlike others that complain that I'm still using an older plan.  Heck, if I wanted to pay just a few dollars more I could go with one of those other companies that offer unlimited talk and text for only $50.  I don't need LTE for just voice.  I am really looking for a new carrier now.  I have been with AT&T celluar since 1996 when I had a Ericsson 318.  A customer for 15 years, and things are going to have to change now.

Message 42 of 103 (2,356 Views)
Employee

if it's not going to work for you, then yes, choose the carrier that does. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 43 of 103 (2,338 Views)
Tutor

JFizDaWiz,  It's a good thing you're not in att retention.  Judging from your previous posts you most likely haven't worked long in any form of customer service, and never will.  What's wrong with most of our youth today is a lack of any type of loyality for long term relationships.  It's so easy to get up and walk away.  Heck, you can even by divorce papers in vending machines now.  When you help to build something you take ownership in it and don't just throw it away.

Message 44 of 103 (2,177 Views)
Contributor

AT&T like the other carriers is reclaiming the 2G spectrum for use with 3G/4G. If you have an older 2G phone, it will no longer work in your area. If you upgraded your phone to a 3G phone, it will probably still work.

If you are in an area where they were still combining billing systems due to mergers and acquisitions, they may be reconfiguring the network and your SIM card may no longer work after the switchover.

Message 45 of 103 (2,187 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.