Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Jan 23, 2011
10:54:22 AM
Phones obsolete after May 15, 2011
Edited by fcampana on Jan 23, 2011 at 10:55:25 AM

Received mail from ATT Wireless stating that my phones will no longer be able to make calls or receive calls after May 15, 2011 due to network upgrades. I am being offered free phones, but I need to choose a new rate plan. My phones are the Nokia 6102 and Samsung x426 with GSM 850/1900 capability. What is it about the network upgrades that make these phones obsolete?

Received mail from ATT Wireless stating that my phones will no longer be able to make calls or receive calls after May 15, 2011 due to network upgrades. I am being offered free phones, but I need to choose a new rate plan. My phones are the Nokia 6102 and Samsung x426 with GSM 850/1900 capability. What is it about the network upgrades that make these phones obsolete?

Phones obsolete after May 15, 2011

[ Edited ]
102 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(102)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2011 11:56:13 AM
(0)
Contributor

I also received the same letter.  I was told by a rep that phones which are not 3G capable will no longer work.  However, I'm not 100% sure about this.  I still have the old AT&T Blue plan and I would like to know if my SIM cards will work after May 15, 2011 or will I have to get an updated plan?  Right now I am using an unlocked Nokia 5530, an AT&T Nokia 3120 and an LG CU225.  I realize that the Nokia 3120 and the LG CU225 are old phone so I'm wondering if I just need to replace these phones with updated unlocked phones in order to keep my current plan.

I also received the same letter.  I was told by a rep that phones which are not 3G capable will no longer work.  However, I'm not 100% sure about this.  I still have the old AT&T Blue plan and I would like to know if my SIM cards will work after May 15, 2011 or will I have to get an updated plan?  Right now I am using an unlocked Nokia 5530, an AT&T Nokia 3120 and an LG CU225.  I realize that the Nokia 3120 and the LG CU225 are old phone so I'm wondering if I just need to replace these phones with updated unlocked phones in order to keep my current plan.

Re: Phones obsolete after May 15, 2011

2 of 103 (10,588 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2011 11:58:44 AM
(0)
Teacher

They are forcing you to migrate from your blue SIM card and plan to a orange SIM and plan. Its not your phone, its that they want more money per month for a new plan. I am using a iPhone 3G and a Nexus One, both working on 3G with mMode data plans unlimited at $29.95. I'd wait it out, then complain to the retention group to see if you can get unlimited data and about the same number of minutes for what you are paying now.

They are forcing you to migrate from your blue SIM card and plan to a orange SIM and plan. Its not your phone, its that they want more money per month for a new plan. I am using a iPhone 3G and a Nexus One, both working on 3G with mMode data plans unlimited at $29.95. I'd wait it out, then complain to the retention group to see if you can get unlimited data and about the same number of minutes for what you are paying now.

3 of 103 (10,580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2011 4:56:55 PM
(0)
Contributor

Got the same letter.

I clearly know why they're doing it, I've got a plan that's $48 a month (taxes included) that gives 950 minutes, 7PM weeknights (unlimited) and unlimited weekends.  Oh, and I have free roaming in Canada, and LD to Canada (well it all comes out of my regular rate plan minutes).

To get anything like what I have right now with one of their new plans, I'd be paying about twice as much.  Oh, but I'll get 'rollover' -- whoopie!

Well, AT&T loyalty has just dropped 100 fold.  Then again, they probably don't want customers like us anyway -- informed customers.

Got the same letter.

I clearly know why they're doing it, I've got a plan that's $48 a month (taxes included) that gives 950 minutes, 7PM weeknights (unlimited) and unlimited weekends.  Oh, and I have free roaming in Canada, and LD to Canada (well it all comes out of my regular rate plan minutes).

To get anything like what I have right now with one of their new plans, I'd be paying about twice as much.  Oh, but I'll get 'rollover' -- whoopie!

Well, AT&T loyalty has just dropped 100 fold.  Then again, they probably don't want customers like us anyway -- informed customers.

4 of 103 (10,497 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2011 9:37:49 AM
(0)
Master

AT&T is supposed to start rolling out LTE in the middle of this year.  I think all the AT&T Blue conspiracy theorists are barking up the wrong tree.  As they upgrade networks to LTE, it's entirely possible they'll do so by converting their existing GSM spectrum to LTE spectrum.  I think that all phones sold by AT&T are now 3G-compatible, so I wouldn't be shocked to see some of their GSM towers be converted to LTE.

And AT&T has honored those old Blue plans for far longer than they needed to.  AT&T doesn't promise you can keep some ancient plan forever.  This has nothing to do with "loyalty", and more to do with the fact that old AT&T Wireless customers have been gaming the system based on grandfathering that should have been retired years ago.

AT&T is supposed to start rolling out LTE in the middle of this year.  I think all the AT&T Blue conspiracy theorists are barking up the wrong tree.  As they upgrade networks to LTE, it's entirely possible they'll do so by converting their existing GSM spectrum to LTE spectrum.  I think that all phones sold by AT&T are now 3G-compatible, so I wouldn't be shocked to see some of their GSM towers be converted to LTE.

And AT&T has honored those old Blue plans for far longer than they needed to.  AT&T doesn't promise you can keep some ancient plan forever.  This has nothing to do with "loyalty", and more to do with the fact that old AT&T Wireless customers have been gaming the system based on grandfathering that should have been retired years ago.

5 of 103 (10,389 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2011 12:13:09 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by pamelaz on Jan 26, 2011 at 5:08:25 PM

I got the letter too and just hung up the phone with someone whom works at the Sales Dept, since that is the telephone number that they provided. After a lengthy conversation and having him check with a supervisor, he says that the new Towers will make us need a 3G or 4G sim card in our older phones. I have a Nokia 6300. I actually asked if I got one of those sim cards from an aftermarket store or them and put it in my phone, would it work? supervisor said no... they are requiring new plans with new sim cards, so if they don't switch it, you will lose service. I also have one of those 1000 minutes with 7pm nights and unlimited weekends and mobile to mobile. Their new plans are the worst in the industry, so I sure do not want to change plans.

I asked for a phone number to complain to and they gave me 404-236-6000, but it apparently goes to a vm box that says it is not active. Just lovely. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].They are making us change plans even though all we need is a new sim card. We like our plan! They are not even asking for a new committment or contract. What is wrong with this picture?  

I got the letter too and just hung up the phone with someone whom works at the Sales Dept, since that is the telephone number that they provided. After a lengthy conversation and having him check with a supervisor, he says that the new Towers will make us need a 3G or 4G sim card in our older phones. I have a Nokia 6300. I actually asked if I got one of those sim cards from an aftermarket store or them and put it in my phone, would it work? supervisor said no... they are requiring new plans with new sim cards, so if they don't switch it, you will lose service. I also have one of those 1000 minutes with 7pm nights and unlimited weekends and mobile to mobile. Their new plans are the worst in the industry, so I sure do not want to change plans.

I asked for a phone number to complain to and they gave me 404-236-6000, but it apparently goes to a vm box that says it is not active. Just lovely. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].They are making us change plans even though all we need is a new sim card. We like our plan! They are not even asking for a new committment or contract. What is wrong with this picture?  

[ Edited ]
6 of 103 (10,355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2011 3:33:38 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by spdickey1 on Jan 24, 2011 at 3:34:24 PM

We have not been "gaming the system." We've been paying our bills (mine ofer $100 per month) for years and years. Have not been taking on new contracts for new subsidized equipment every couple of years (thus really "gaming the system" by increasing the carriers costs). All we want is a new SIM card and keep the features of our old plans, I'm even willing to take a small rate increase, but don't take away our services!

We have not been "gaming the system." We've been paying our bills (mine ofer $100 per month) for years and years. Have not been taking on new contracts for new subsidized equipment every couple of years (thus really "gaming the system" by increasing the carriers costs). All we want is a new SIM card and keep the features of our old plans, I'm even willing to take a small rate increase, but don't take away our services!

[ Edited ]
7 of 103 (10,288 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2011 3:48:39 PM
(0)
Contributor

I just spent quite some time on the phone with an awesome CSR and then a Customer Relations guy. I saw awesome because they both understood the problem and were trying to get me as close to my existing old plan as possible. CR went back 8 months for usage and was willing to offer some great additional bonus minutes, rollover minutes to begin with and the A list for free. Also, eligible for a free phone, of course, since I have not taken advantage of that ever..lol I do not need the data plan, so that may help too. They were not even aware of this lovely new issue and thought that if we put the new sim card in, that it may work without choosing a new plan. The guy even tried to order one for me, but it would not let him complete the order without picking a new plan. It looks like they have the ability to at least try and do something, but it still won't really beat our 1000 minutes, 7pm nights and unlimited weekends for $39.99. I was offered 450 minutes + 100 bonus minutes =550 minutes, unlimited nights 9pm and weekends and mobile to mobile, rollover minutes and A list of 5 for free. Also, they would give me 1000 rollover minutes to start out with.

If anyone else gets a better offer from them, please post it.

I just spent quite some time on the phone with an awesome CSR and then a Customer Relations guy. I saw awesome because they both understood the problem and were trying to get me as close to my existing old plan as possible. CR went back 8 months for usage and was willing to offer some great additional bonus minutes, rollover minutes to begin with and the A list for free. Also, eligible for a free phone, of course, since I have not taken advantage of that ever..lol I do not need the data plan, so that may help too. They were not even aware of this lovely new issue and thought that if we put the new sim card in, that it may work without choosing a new plan. The guy even tried to order one for me, but it would not let him complete the order without picking a new plan. It looks like they have the ability to at least try and do something, but it still won't really beat our 1000 minutes, 7pm nights and unlimited weekends for $39.99. I was offered 450 minutes + 100 bonus minutes =550 minutes, unlimited nights 9pm and weekends and mobile to mobile, rollover minutes and A list of 5 for free. Also, they would give me 1000 rollover minutes to start out with.

If anyone else gets a better offer from them, please post it.

8 of 103 (10,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2011 10:27:11 PM
(0)
Contributor

What's this 'conspiracy theory', and 'gaming the system' stuff all about?

I signed up for a great 'voice' plan in late 2004.  I could have cared less for data at the time, and still could care less.  AT&T chose to market my plan to me, and I accepted.  There was no 'gaming' you speak of.

I've been offered a new phone perpetually since the time I fulfilled my contract obligations, only if I switched to a new plan, I declined those offers.  Didn't change the fact I continued to pay my bills for service as I always did.

Fact is, they are trying to claim that our 'plans' are tied to our 'sim' cards.  The maginot line that the CSR's have been holding is that there is some sort of 'technical limitation' on the 'new sim cards' that they can't offer us our  us plans equivalent to our old ones on the 'new' sim cards.  Please.  This is not a technical limitation, it's an accounting entry.  They simply don't want to offer the plans we signed up for years ago any more.

That said, sure, I understand there is no contract anymore, thus they are under no obligation for performance, but, to insinuate we've been 'getting a free ride' (i.e. gaming the system) is nonsense.  These are the exact plans AT&T themselves sold us (granted under different management, nonetheless AT&T).

I honestly would prefer a more honest mail.  instead of pretending this is a good thing for us, why not just say it as it is:

'We appreciate your business for these many years, but, our cost structures have changed and thus we can not offer you your plan any more.  We have some plans available now that we think you might be interested in, and, we will include a new phone if you try.  Since this transition might be especially trying, we have included an extra provision so that you will be under no obligation to continue your plan if in the regrettable event it doesn't suit you.  Please contact customer service to discuss our new plans and various options that can help make this transition pleasant for everyone.'

or something along those lines.

What they sent was the typical 'great news for you' letter that glazes over the how you're going to see a dramatic increase in monthly fees information.  As though you won't notice.

What's this 'conspiracy theory', and 'gaming the system' stuff all about?

I signed up for a great 'voice' plan in late 2004.  I could have cared less for data at the time, and still could care less.  AT&T chose to market my plan to me, and I accepted.  There was no 'gaming' you speak of.

I've been offered a new phone perpetually since the time I fulfilled my contract obligations, only if I switched to a new plan, I declined those offers.  Didn't change the fact I continued to pay my bills for service as I always did.

Fact is, they are trying to claim that our 'plans' are tied to our 'sim' cards.  The maginot line that the CSR's have been holding is that there is some sort of 'technical limitation' on the 'new sim cards' that they can't offer us our  us plans equivalent to our old ones on the 'new' sim cards.  Please.  This is not a technical limitation, it's an accounting entry.  They simply don't want to offer the plans we signed up for years ago any more.

That said, sure, I understand there is no contract anymore, thus they are under no obligation for performance, but, to insinuate we've been 'getting a free ride' (i.e. gaming the system) is nonsense.  These are the exact plans AT&T themselves sold us (granted under different management, nonetheless AT&T).

I honestly would prefer a more honest mail.  instead of pretending this is a good thing for us, why not just say it as it is:

'We appreciate your business for these many years, but, our cost structures have changed and thus we can not offer you your plan any more.  We have some plans available now that we think you might be interested in, and, we will include a new phone if you try.  Since this transition might be especially trying, we have included an extra provision so that you will be under no obligation to continue your plan if in the regrettable event it doesn't suit you.  Please contact customer service to discuss our new plans and various options that can help make this transition pleasant for everyone.'

or something along those lines.

What they sent was the typical 'great news for you' letter that glazes over the how you're going to see a dramatic increase in monthly fees information.  As though you won't notice.

9 of 103 (10,140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2011 4:17:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

BrianfromNO wrote:

Not so - 90% of the post paid devices currently carried by at&t on-line are 3G capable, but only 66% of the prepaid devices currently being sold by at&t are 3G phones.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

BrianfromNO wrote:

Not so - 90% of the post paid devices currently carried by at&t on-line are 3G capable, but only 66% of the prepaid devices currently being sold by at&t are 3G phones.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 103 (10,094 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2011 7:27:14 AM
(0)
Master

Wrong...Anyone who's using an iPhone on a Blue plan must have resorted to some kind of hackery to make it work, as iPhones are locked to Orange plans.

Look...we're tired of listening to the AT&T Wireless whiners.  Regardless of whether or how you pay your bills or how much they are, AT&T doesn't guarantee that they won't retire plans.  I feel like they've been unusually generous in honoring plans they should have nuked long ago.  

The plans you are on are going away.  Either get a new plan, or find a different carrier.  It's really that simple.

spdickey1 wrote:

Wrong...Anyone who's using an iPhone on a Blue plan must have resorted to some kind of hackery to make it work, as iPhones are locked to Orange plans.

Look...we're tired of listening to the AT&T Wireless whiners.  Regardless of whether or how you pay your bills or how much they are, AT&T doesn't guarantee that they won't retire plans.  I feel like they've been unusually generous in honoring plans they should have nuked long ago.  

The plans you are on are going away.  Either get a new plan, or find a different carrier.  It's really that simple.

spdickey1 wrote:

11 of 103 (3,517 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2011 8:56:55 AM
(0)
Teacher

[quote]Wrong...Anyone who's using an iPhone on a Blue plan must have resorted to some kind of hackery to make it work, as iPhones are locked to Orange plans.

The plans you are on are going away.  Either get a new plan, or find a different carrier.  It's really that simple.[/quote]

No hacking involved. Purchased unlocked phones direct from the manufacturer (Google Nexus One in my case).

Plans aren't "going away" hundreds of thousands of customers still have unlimited data plans and will for a long time now. But for some reason, they won't "offer them" to us long term customers from AT&T Wireless. Its' that simple, offer us an unlimited plan, like you are still servicing to I would bet over a million customers right now, and we'll stop complaining about this poor customer service. I think if they nuked everyones unlimited data plan all at once, there would be an even bigger pool of whiners you'd have to listen to.

[quote]Wrong...Anyone who's using an iPhone on a Blue plan must have resorted to some kind of hackery to make it work, as iPhones are locked to Orange plans.

The plans you are on are going away.  Either get a new plan, or find a different carrier.  It's really that simple.[/quote]

No hacking involved. Purchased unlocked phones direct from the manufacturer (Google Nexus One in my case).

Plans aren't "going away" hundreds of thousands of customers still have unlimited data plans and will for a long time now. But for some reason, they won't "offer them" to us long term customers from AT&T Wireless. Its' that simple, offer us an unlimited plan, like you are still servicing to I would bet over a million customers right now, and we'll stop complaining about this poor customer service. I think if they nuked everyones unlimited data plan all at once, there would be an even bigger pool of whiners you'd have to listen to.

12 of 103 (3,497 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2011 10:25:01 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jan 25, 2011 at 10:26:43 AM

spdickey1 wrote:

One note there is no such then as "unlocked" iphone in the US that has not been hacked to do make it so. Granted the grandfathered plans like unlimited data for smart phones are not going away - yet, but it is a branch of technology that is being shutddown not a plan. The blue plans are being removed and the current users have the choice of concerting or leaving. same thing would occur if they removed grandfathering for a plan - the people that have the plan would be given the choice of picking a new plan or leaving. In my case I have family with unity, that plan is no longer aviable if they decide to drop the grandfathered status I would have the choice to pick a new plan or leave - with no etf if I decide to leave.

If they canceled grandfathered "nuked the unlimited data" that is a change that would affect those of us under contract because of upgrades that would trigger the ability to leave with no etf.

Even though you have your own phone you are still subject to the terms of serivce agreement, you just have no contract. You are required to have a data plan, if you don't or have the wrong one they have the right and ability to add one and you have no choice but to accept or leave.

spdickey1 wrote:

One note there is no such then as "unlocked" iphone in the US that has not been hacked to do make it so. Granted the grandfathered plans like unlimited data for smart phones are not going away - yet, but it is a branch of technology that is being shutddown not a plan. The blue plans are being removed and the current users have the choice of concerting or leaving. same thing would occur if they removed grandfathering for a plan - the people that have the plan would be given the choice of picking a new plan or leaving. In my case I have family with unity, that plan is no longer aviable if they decide to drop the grandfathered status I would have the choice to pick a new plan or leave - with no etf if I decide to leave.

If they canceled grandfathered "nuked the unlimited data" that is a change that would affect those of us under contract because of upgrades that would trigger the ability to leave with no etf.

Even though you have your own phone you are still subject to the terms of serivce agreement, you just have no contract. You are required to have a data plan, if you don't or have the wrong one they have the right and ability to add one and you have no choice but to accept or leave.

[ Edited ]
13 of 103 (3,456 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2011 10:58:26 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by pamelaz on Jan 26, 2011 at 5:06:49 PM

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].. Can ATT really "evict" 44000 "tenants" or force users to pay much higher.

Can ATT under the pretext/disguise of upgrading apartment complex start charging a much higher rent.

ATT can issue new sim cards, if needed, but shuld still allow 7.00 am to 7.00 pm, 900/1000 minutes, data plans.

As of now ATT charges extra for extended hours 7.00 pm to 9.00 pm and 5.00 am to 7.00 am.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].. Can ATT really "evict" 44000 "tenants" or force users to pay much higher.

Can ATT under the pretext/disguise of upgrading apartment complex start charging a much higher rent.

ATT can issue new sim cards, if needed, but shuld still allow 7.00 am to 7.00 pm, 900/1000 minutes, data plans.

As of now ATT charges extra for extended hours 7.00 pm to 9.00 pm and 5.00 am to 7.00 am.

[ Edited ]
14 of 103 (3,336 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2011 11:14:21 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by pamelaz on Jan 26, 2011 at 5:07:16 PM

Yes, they can.  If they've retired a plan, they can give you a timeline to force you off it.  Your landlord doesn't guarantee you'll pay the same rent year-over-year in your lease agreement, and unless rent controls are in place they have latitude to raise your rent once your initial lease term is up.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

charlietango wrote:

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].Can ATT really "evict" 44000 "tenants" or force users to pay much higher.

Yes, they can.  If they've retired a plan, they can give you a timeline to force you off it.  Your landlord doesn't guarantee you'll pay the same rent year-over-year in your lease agreement, and unless rent controls are in place they have latitude to raise your rent once your initial lease term is up.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

charlietango wrote:

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].Can ATT really "evict" 44000 "tenants" or force users to pay much higher.

[ Edited ]
15 of 103 (3,328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2011 12:34:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

Are you an ATT employee?

Are you an ATT employee?

16 of 103 (3,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2011 1:05:17 PM
(0)
Expert

charlietango wrote:

Are you an ATT employee?

you can easily tell a ATT employee that is posting on their own time and opinion - they are required to put a disclaimer in their signature by corproate policy, if they fail to do so they could probably get in serious trouble with HR. If you don;t see it, it is a pretty good indication that they are not an employee and you are makng the wrong assumption. Add to the fact the only official att presence here is for moderation, period - other then that it is a peer to peer forum

charlietango wrote:

Are you an ATT employee?

you can easily tell a ATT employee that is posting on their own time and opinion - they are required to put a disclaimer in their signature by corproate policy, if they fail to do so they could probably get in serious trouble with HR. If you don;t see it, it is a pretty good indication that they are not an employee and you are makng the wrong assumption. Add to the fact the only official att presence here is for moderation, period - other then that it is a peer to peer forum

17 of 103 (3,303 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2011 2:48:56 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by spdickey1 on Jan 26, 2011 at 3:32:27 PM

One note there is no such then as "unlocked" iphone in the US that has not been hacked to do make it so. 

I beg to differ. I'll point you to at least two GSM phones sold by the manufacturer as unlocked.

Google Nexus One, now only sold to developers, it originally was available online directly from Google to anyone www.google.com/phone/detail/nexus-one

Nokia X6 Unlocked GSM Phone available unlocked from an official Nokia dealer, Amazon.com www.amazon.com/Nokia-Unlocked-Camera-Capacitive-Navigation/dp/B0036DDT74

Which makes the rest of the following arguments are largely irrelevant. We are not able to keep our unlimited data plans (except with some hard barganing with individual AT&T reps) like millions of current customers are.

As to the rent argument, a landlord, without city imposed rent control, you can raise the rents anytime you want after the lease has been completed for whatever reason. And tenants can leave, too. Good landlords try to maximize rents while at the same time trying not to start a mass exodus of tenants to cheaper digs. Since AT&T Mobility is a regulated utility they have some restraints on what they can charge.

The Wall Street Journal reports on a loophole to restore unlimited data plans for those who had them before AT&T unlimited data loophole exposed

One note there is no such then as "unlocked" iphone in the US that has not been hacked to do make it so. 

I beg to differ. I'll point you to at least two GSM phones sold by the manufacturer as unlocked.

Google Nexus One, now only sold to developers, it originally was available online directly from Google to anyone www.google.com/phone/detail/nexus-one

Nokia X6 Unlocked GSM Phone available unlocked from an official Nokia dealer, Amazon.com www.amazon.com/Nokia-Unlocked-Camera-Capacitive-Navigation/dp/B0036DDT74

Which makes the rest of the following arguments are largely irrelevant. We are not able to keep our unlimited data plans (except with some hard barganing with individual AT&T reps) like millions of current customers are.

As to the rent argument, a landlord, without city imposed rent control, you can raise the rents anytime you want after the lease has been completed for whatever reason. And tenants can leave, too. Good landlords try to maximize rents while at the same time trying not to start a mass exodus of tenants to cheaper digs. Since AT&T Mobility is a regulated utility they have some restraints on what they can charge.

The Wall Street Journal reports on a loophole to restore unlimited data plans for those who had them before AT&T unlimited data loophole exposed

[ Edited ]
18 of 103 (3,280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2011 4:09:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by 21stNow on Jan 26, 2011 at 4:10:09 PM

spdickey1 wrote:

I think that you missed that the other poster was referring to iPhones specifically, not all phones.  There are many other GSM phones available in the US that are unlocked.

spdickey1 wrote:

I think that you missed that the other poster was referring to iPhones specifically, not all phones.  There are many other GSM phones available in the US that are unlocked.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
19 of 103 (3,257 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2011 5:13:45 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yes, i missed the "i" in iphone. However jailbreaking/unlocking the iPhone is perfectly legal under the DMCA and having done so doesn't change ones relationship with the mobile phone carrier. It may invialidate your warranty with Apple, but how does that excuse AT&T from the wrongs they are doing as alledged in the class action I posted earlier?

It is Now Legal to Jailbreak Your iPhone http://www.devx.com/wireless/Article/45241

Yes, i missed the "i" in iphone. However jailbreaking/unlocking the iPhone is perfectly legal under the DMCA and having done so doesn't change ones relationship with the mobile phone carrier. It may invialidate your warranty with Apple, but how does that excuse AT&T from the wrongs they are doing as alledged in the class action I posted earlier?

It is Now Legal to Jailbreak Your iPhone http://www.devx.com/wireless/Article/45241

20 of 103 (3,222 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2011 7:18:41 PM
(0)
Former Employee

I don't know guys, I did one of those migrations for a customer today and they actually got more minutes for the same price with the new plan (and a new phone for free with no contract). So here are few people here who's loosing older cheap plans, but there are probably just as many people who will get better plans for the same price or cheaper.  So.

I don't know guys, I did one of those migrations for a customer today and they actually got more minutes for the same price with the new plan (and a new phone for free with no contract). So here are few people here who's loosing older cheap plans, but there are probably just as many people who will get better plans for the same price or cheaper.  So.

21 of 103 (3,344 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 3:13:27 AM
(0)
Expert

spdickey1 wrote:

Basicy it states that the manufacturer will not prosecute you for theft of IP - but it also allows them to tell you that you are the proud owner of a 600 or 700 dollar paper weight if something goes wrong.

spdickey1 wrote:

Basicy it states that the manufacturer will not prosecute you for theft of IP - but it also allows them to tell you that you are the proud owner of a 600 or 700 dollar paper weight if something goes wrong.

22 of 103 (3,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 7:09:24 AM
(0)
Master

Regardless of whether or not it's legal is irrelevant.  iPhones aren't permitted to be used with GoPhone plans, and they have to be unlocked to be used with "Blue" plans...so in either case, you are violating the EULA of the phone if you do either.

spdickey1 wrote:

Regardless of whether or not it's legal is irrelevant.  iPhones aren't permitted to be used with GoPhone plans, and they have to be unlocked to be used with "Blue" plans...so in either case, you are violating the EULA of the phone if you do either.

spdickey1 wrote:

23 of 103 (3,293 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 11:02:27 AM
(0)
Contributor

durum_bass wrote:

'Just as many' ?

I am certain you can find a few 'exceptions' out there where some guy on an old blue plan might now come out ahead switching to one of the new plans, but, 'just as many' coming out ahead on this forced migration vs. those who are not?  Highly debatable statement.  You think in the 6 or so years since the last 'blue plan' was sold that a whole bunch of them (as in 50%) never once looked at a modern plan and price compared?  Especially considering they would have had no contractual obligation to stay with a this theoretical 'expensive blue plan' you speak of?

At any rate, if you truly think we can come out ahead.  Help me out.  I'll give you a sale if you can help me come out ahead.

Can you beat this?  Or can you come anywhere close to this?  My hunch is you can't even get me this plan for less than TWICE what I currently pay.  But, if you could get anywhere within $10 a month of what I'm currently paying on a plan the same or better than what I have, then, you earn the sale (and the commission)

Home call area (i.e.. no long distance or roaming): USA and Canada

Anytime minutes per month: 950

Weekend minutes: unlimited

Weeknight minutes: unlimited

Weeknights start at: 7PM

Mobile to mobile minutes: unlimited

Incoming SMS: Free

Price per month: $49

(I have a company discount that brings it down to $41, but, we can apply that to whatever you quote me as well).

So, can you get me a voice plan just as that, and you've got a sale, and at the same time get to prove your statement is true (for my case) that: 'So here are few people here who's loosing older cheap plans, but there are probably just as many people who will get better plans for the same price or cheaper'

I enthusiastically await your offer

durum_bass wrote:

'Just as many' ?

I am certain you can find a few 'exceptions' out there where some guy on an old blue plan might now come out ahead switching to one of the new plans, but, 'just as many' coming out ahead on this forced migration vs. those who are not?  Highly debatable statement.  You think in the 6 or so years since the last 'blue plan' was sold that a whole bunch of them (as in 50%) never once looked at a modern plan and price compared?  Especially considering they would have had no contractual obligation to stay with a this theoretical 'expensive blue plan' you speak of?

At any rate, if you truly think we can come out ahead.  Help me out.  I'll give you a sale if you can help me come out ahead.

Can you beat this?  Or can you come anywhere close to this?  My hunch is you can't even get me this plan for less than TWICE what I currently pay.  But, if you could get anywhere within $10 a month of what I'm currently paying on a plan the same or better than what I have, then, you earn the sale (and the commission)

Home call area (i.e.. no long distance or roaming): USA and Canada

Anytime minutes per month: 950

Weekend minutes: unlimited

Weeknight minutes: unlimited

Weeknights start at: 7PM

Mobile to mobile minutes: unlimited

Incoming SMS: Free

Price per month: $49

(I have a company discount that brings it down to $41, but, we can apply that to whatever you quote me as well).

So, can you get me a voice plan just as that, and you've got a sale, and at the same time get to prove your statement is true (for my case) that: 'So here are few people here who's loosing older cheap plans, but there are probably just as many people who will get better plans for the same price or cheaper'

I enthusiastically await your offer

24 of 103 (3,260 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 12:40:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

I also await for the offer...btw in addition to what person above said, my weekday time starts at 7.00 am instead of 5.00 am.

I also await for the offer...btw in addition to what person above said, my weekday time starts at 7.00 am instead of 5.00 am.

25 of 103 (3,235 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 9:07:48 PM
(0)
Tutor

drumn bass

I will even buy my own phone...now can you match my current plan at the same price that I am paying now.

drumn bass

I will even buy my own phone...now can you match my current plan at the same price that I am paying now.

26 of 103 (3,180 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2011 7:36:06 AM
(0)
Professor

charlietango wrote:

drumn bass

Over the years I have seen my cable bill go up, my landline phone bill go up, my gas bill go up, my water bill go up, and my electric bill can go up if I don't have it under contract. Why would you expect it to be any different for your cell bill? When you sign a contract with AT&T it is only for two years, beyond that you are month to month if you do not sign a new contract. You should feel fortunate that AT&T has allowed you to continue for so long with a discontinued plan when you are not under contract for that plan. Your contract for having that plan expired long ago. It's unfortunate for you that you will be getting less for more now, but AT&T is not being unfair with you. They are offering you the same plans that everyone else has and nothing less. They could have made you switch years ago when they discontinued the plan or your contract expired. The fact that you are willing to buy your own unsubsidized phone has no bearing. Anyone can do that. The issue is with the plan. The fact of the matter is, even though your plan has been discontinued for many years, AT&T is finally getting around to eliminating it.

charlietango wrote:

drumn bass

Over the years I have seen my cable bill go up, my landline phone bill go up, my gas bill go up, my water bill go up, and my electric bill can go up if I don't have it under contract. Why would you expect it to be any different for your cell bill? When you sign a contract with AT&T it is only for two years, beyond that you are month to month if you do not sign a new contract. You should feel fortunate that AT&T has allowed you to continue for so long with a discontinued plan when you are not under contract for that plan. Your contract for having that plan expired long ago. It's unfortunate for you that you will be getting less for more now, but AT&T is not being unfair with you. They are offering you the same plans that everyone else has and nothing less. They could have made you switch years ago when they discontinued the plan or your contract expired. The fact that you are willing to buy your own unsubsidized phone has no bearing. Anyone can do that. The issue is with the plan. The fact of the matter is, even though your plan has been discontinued for many years, AT&T is finally getting around to eliminating it.

27 of 103 (3,133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2011 8:18:51 AM
(0)
Former Employee

I'm not here to sell anything. It is what it is.

I'm not here to sell anything. It is what it is.

28 of 103 (3,149 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2011 11:36:42 AM
(0)
Tutor

gradual increases are fine. But if you end up paying 100% more for the same service, that is the killer.

gradual increases are fine. But if you end up paying 100% more for the same service, that is the killer.

29 of 103 (3,097 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2011 7:27:41 PM
(0)
Master

Except you've been allowed to keep the same plan LONG after it's been retired, so you never saw the gradual increases in price that most of us saw upgrading ever couple of years.  So you're going to pay market rates for a new plan, which unfortunately are going to be higher than what you were playing.  It's well documented that AT&T Wireless gave away the bank on plans and upgrades and freebies to keep customers to pump up their market value for the acquisition by Cingular.  If AT&T says "no more", then you have two choices - accept a new plan or move on.  It really is that simple.

Except you've been allowed to keep the same plan LONG after it's been retired, so you never saw the gradual increases in price that most of us saw upgrading ever couple of years.  So you're going to pay market rates for a new plan, which unfortunately are going to be higher than what you were playing.  It's well documented that AT&T Wireless gave away the bank on plans and upgrades and freebies to keep customers to pump up their market value for the acquisition by Cingular.  If AT&T says "no more", then you have two choices - accept a new plan or move on.  It really is that simple.

30 of 103 (3,041 Views)