Phones Not Requiring Data Plan

Expert

Phones Not Requiring Data Plan

I'm shopping to replace an ancient Edge phone for another family member.

Some phones on the site say an Unlimited Texting Plan is recommended, but we don't do texting or need it.

If you're going to access the Internet, can you just use Wi-Fi, since a data plan is not required?

Or are these phones (data plan not required) like dumbphones, on a pay-per-use data plan?

Need clarification, please. Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 19
Expert

Re: Phones Not Requiring Data Plan

spd2demun wrote:

I'm shopping to replace an ancient Edge phone for another family member.

Some phones on the site say an Unlimited Texting Plan is recommended, but we don't do texting or need it.

If you're going to access the Internet, can you just use Wi-Fi, since a data plan is not required?

Or are these phones (data plan not required) like dumbphones, on a pay-per-use data plan?

Need clarification, please. Smiley Wink

the phones that normally have wifi access ability are smarthphones only and those require a data plan. Have not seen a dumbphone or a qmd style device that has wireless active

Message 2 of 19
Expert

OK, that's what I thought, and being new to smartphones (just got my first).

Looking at HTC Freestyle and wanting info before being bamboozled in a store by Sales. Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 19
Expert

spd2demun wrote:

Looking at HTC Freestyle and wanting info before being bamboozled in a store by Sales. Smiley Wink

Freestyle is a smartphone - take a look at the inspire from HTC, rightnow BestBuy Mobile have them instore for free. Got one and it immediately updated to 2.3.4 when I activated it

Message 4 of 19
Master

wingrider01 wrote:

spd2demun wrote:

Freestyle is a smartphone - take a look at the inspire from HTC, rightnow BestBuy Mobile have them instore for free. Got one and it immediately updated to 2.3.4 when I activated it

The HTC Freestyle is not a smartphone. It runs on the Brew OS which is a feature phone operating system. The phone has smartphone styling, but it is not a smartphone. http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=19028&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=31579&mapcode=consumer|wireless
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 19
Expert

I see the Inspire IS a smart phone, but Freestyle is not?

In layperson's terms, what is the difference between a (true) smartphone and a feature phone?

Son is looking for something without a data plan, but would like a touchscreen.

Message 6 of 19
Expert

Ann154 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

spd2demun wrote:

The HTC Freestyle is not a smartphone. It runs on the Brew OS which is a feature phone operating system. The phone has smartphone styling, but it is not a smartphone. http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=19028&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=31579&mapcode=consumer|wireless

stand corrected, was not aware the HTC sense ran on anything but a smartphone.

Message 7 of 19
Master

In layperson's terms, what is the difference between a (true) smartphone and a feature phone?

Son is looking for something without a data plan, but would like a touchscreen.

Nope. Ann154 was correct in stating that the Freestyle is not a smartphone. You are not the only person who was astonished to believe this. Smiley Happy

Smartphones generally have fast, powerful processors, large and sometimes HUGE touch screens with bright, sharp displays, high resolution cameras, decent battery life, modern styling with high-grade materials, and advanced technologies such as "4G" or true 4G LTE services.

Feature phones are not as powerful as smartphones, have smaller screens, most have keyboards for text messaging, low-quality cameras, and aren't usually as attractive as smartphones tend to be. They still serve their purpose though, as a cell phone - smartphones are more like mini handheld computers with wireless capabilities.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 8 of 19
Expert

I'm agreeing with Ann on the Freestyle, but the Inspire is a smartphone.

I suppose if a data plan is required, it's safe to say it's a smartphone?

Message 9 of 19
Master

spd2demun wrote:

I'm agreeing with Ann on the Freestyle, but the Inspire is a smartphone.

I suppose if a data plan is required, it's safe to say it's a smartphone?

Yes, the HTC Inspire is a smartphone.
Message 10 of 19
Expert

OK, and was just clarifying that wingrider was talking about the Inspire. Smiley Happy

I don't know how it is with other ATT stores, or the competition's, but it's nearly impossible to find working models in stores to play with.  This makes it harder to know which one to go with, and ATT only gives you one return/exchange and you're out. Smiley Sad

I guess we'll check out a local store, listen to the sales pitch, and come back here to confirm the truth (or not). Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 19
Master

I've only seen working models to experiment with in my local AT&T authorized retailer in the mall. They stopped offering working models, though...not sure why.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 12 of 19
Expert

I've been going to Corporate stores, as I thought that'd be the best bet.  But even places like BB and WM just have dummies. Smiley Sad

Message 13 of 19
Master

spd2demun wrote:

OK, and was just clarifying that wingrider was talking about the Inspire. Smiley Happy

I don't know how it is with other ATT stores, or the competition's, but it's nearly impossible to find working models in stores to play with.  This makes it harder to know which one to go with, and ATT only gives you one return/exchange and you're out. Smiley Sad

I guess we'll check out a local store, listen to the sales pitch, and come back here to confirm the truth (or not). Smiley Wink

Every corporate wireless store I have been in has working models. I was in just about every corporate ATT store in my area trying to get a feel for their service and devices in the later half of last year after I found out about my "transition" that was going to happen.
Message 14 of 19
Expert

Ann154 wrote:

spd2demun wrote:

Every corporate wireless store I have been in has working models. I was in just about every corporate ATT store in my area trying to get a feel for their service and devices in the later half of last year after I found out about my "transition" that was going to happen.

same here for the corproate stores, placeslike BB have some working models of the newest phones out but normally not the regular phones

Message 15 of 19
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support