Phone "freezes"

Tutor

Phone "freezes"

My phone frequently "freezes up" , when this happens, incoming calls go "Voice mail".  To use phone, I must power-off and restart.  Any experience with this problem?  What do you suggest?  

Message 1 of 10 (1,368 Views)
Tutor

Re: Phone "freezes"

My daughter had this problem constantly with her Samsung.  The fix?  Get a different phone.  Unfortunately, that's the only thing we could do about it.

Message 2 of 10 (1,358 Views)

[ Edited ]

jaqulique wrote:

My phone frequently "freezes up" , when this happens, incoming calls go "Voice mail".  To use phone, I must power-off and restart.  Any experience with this problem?  What do you suggest?  

Which phone?  All we know, based on the fact that you posted in these forums, is that you own some Samsung device.

I have not had any hang or Sleep of Death issues that were not of my own doing with the Infuse or with the GS2.

There is a known bug in the kernels of most Samsung Android devices that can cause Sleep of Death issues, HOWEVER - this bug can only be triggered if a user "roots" their device and changes the CPU frequency limits from the defaults.  It cannot be triggered during normal operation of an unrooted Samsung Android phone.

Message 3 of 10 (1,356 Views)
Tutor

My Samsung is a Galaxy S 3g.  I don't use 98% of the capabiity of the phone. For me (I'm 74yrs old) it has great large numbers, and keyboard.  I also like the "goggle' capability.  The phone can "freeze" at anytime, whether it's in use or not.  

Message 4 of 10 (1,345 Views)

[ Edited ]

jaqulique wrote:

My Samsung is a Galaxy S 3g.  I don't use 98% of the capabiity of the phone. For me (I'm 74yrs old) it has great large numbers, and keyboard.  I also like the "goggle' capability.  The phone can "freeze" at anytime, whether it's in use or not.  

Hmm...  Odd...  Galaxy S 3G - so you have the international GT-I9000?  No AT&T Samsung until the Galaxy S II (I777, released October 2) has had distinctive GalaxyS branding (despite being, effectively, GalaxyS phones).

Is your device a Captivate (SGH-I897) or Infuse (SGH-I997)?

Message 5 of 10 (1,326 Views)
Tutor

A Captivate

Message 6 of 10 (1,311 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'll talk to some people I know who are intimately familiar with the ins/outs of the Cappy...  I believe if you have the Captivate periodically freezing/hanging completely, it's likely defective hardware, but there might be deficiencies in the stock kernel I'm unaware of beyond the ones I mentioned before (which, as I said above, can only be triggered on a rooted phone.)

Message 7 of 10 (1,309 Views)
Tutor

I have a captivate also and my phone freezes several times in a day and I have to turn power off and on sometimes taking the battery out has to be done before it will unfreeze.

I am so disappointed with this phone.  When I bought I stipulated that I needed a phone to handle bluetoothe with hands free. The AT&T rep confirmed that it was possible.  I purchased a Blueant voice controlled car speakerphone. The captivate listed this as a compatible device.  Well the handsfree portion when answering a call works but voice controlled dialing does not work with this model of phone on At&t plans (although it does with the 2.3 upgrade when ever that will be released is a mystery).

Now I am stuck with this phone for two years until I will be eligible for an upgrade. 

Message 8 of 10 (1,277 Views)
Tutor

Well said!!

Message 9 of 10 (1,261 Views)
Master

The only time my Captivate will freeze is when it's in the process of downloading an application or when I try to open a freshly downloaded app. Deleting files in large quantities such as 1,000+ text message conversations also will freeze the phone. Sometimes typing on the keyboard, it's a little slow to respond, also.

When your phone freezes, slide down the backplate and take the battery out. Place it back in and it should return to normal. You probably already knew this and have been doing it, but I'm not sure. Smiley Happy

How often does your phone freeze, and during which tasks?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 10 of 10 (1,249 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.