Phone number was "ported" the day after card expired

Phone number was "ported" the day after card expired

Hi,

This was my first experience with prepaid on AT&T. I was told, several times, that the initial $15 would expire in 30 days, but that I would have up to 60 days to recharge it & keep the same phone number.

The day after the card expired, someone ported the number. The customer service reps insist that I asked for and received a text message, the day after my initial $15 ran out. This phone was OFF, and in my home. No one else had access to it.

Has anyone ever heard of this?  They claim that someone called them, answered the appropriate questions, and they sent the 4 digit code to them.  All I know, is the number is gone, and I'm worried it could happen again, perhaps with money on the account.

Message 1 of 2 (232 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Re: Phone number was "ported" the day after card expired

shanedonna wrote:

Hi,

This was my first experience with prepaid on AT&T. I was told, several times, that the initial $15 would expire in 30 days, but that I would have up to 60 days to recharge it & keep the same phone number.

The day after the card expired, someone ported the number. The customer service reps insist that I asked for and received a text message, the day after my initial $15 ran out. This phone was OFF, and in my home. No one else had access to it.

Has anyone ever heard of this?  They claim that someone called them, answered the appropriate questions, and they sent the 4 digit code to them.  All I know, is the number is gone, and I'm worried it could happen again, perhaps with money on the account.

Is the SIM still in your phone?  The easiest way I can think of for it to occur would be if someone physically removed the SIM from your phone and used it in another one.  All of the account based information (phone number, balance, etc.) is tied to the SIM, not the phone.

You are supposed to have 60 days after the last refill expiration before the SIM is permanently deactivated and the number is put back into the pool of available numbers.  ("Porting" is a different process - it is actually transferring the phone number to a different carrier.)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 2 of 2 (200 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.