Phone locked or unlocked help?

Contributor

Phone locked or unlocked help?

I live in Scotland and will be travelling to California in July and I am looking to purchase a new mobile phone.

I have been looking at some handsets on the at&t website (the Sony Xperia Ion to be exact) and I was wondering if it is locked to at&t or whether it will work with any network.

If it is locked, is there the possibility of having it unlocked?

I would obviously be purchasing the phone with no contract.

Thanks for any support that anyone can offer.

Alistair

Message 1 of 3 (1,136 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Re: Phone locked or unlocked help?

I would look at the go-phones for short travel and buy one that is cheap.  There are rules for unlocking phones and buying at full price does have that benefit in most cases.  I would try to skype to the sales folks and discuss your options with them.  I would not buy online as you may have issues not having a US address and Credit Card.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 3 (1,115 Views)
Mentor

Re: Phone locked or unlocked help?

I would contact customer service and be as detailed as possible to make sure you do have phone capabilities while in the U.S. Make sure and advise the rep that you live out of the country and only visiting. Customer Support 800.331.0500
Message 3 of 3 (1,044 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.