Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 29, 2011
8:19:30 AM
Personal Hotspot on an Ala Carte basis

I would like to suggest that AT&T offer it's customers the option of using Personal Hotspot with their existing unlimited data plan but for an additional fee.  I generally don't need the wifi connection as I have access to other wifi sources.  However, during the hurricane we lost power in my county and the only internet that was available was on my iphone via AT&T data services.  I really could have used my personal hotspot then but I didn't want to give up my unlimited plan just for isolated incidents like that.  But I would have been willing to pay an additional fee for say 2 days of data over my personal hotspot.  All other fees and features would still apply, users would simply pay an additional fee for a specified number of days in order to access ATT data services via personal hotspot.  

Please consider that.  It would provide better service to customers and give you a little more revenue that you wouldn't get otherwise.

I would like to suggest that AT&T offer it's customers the option of using Personal Hotspot with their existing unlimited data plan but for an additional fee.  I generally don't need the wifi connection as I have access to other wifi sources.  However, during the hurricane we lost power in my county and the only internet that was available was on my iphone via AT&T data services.  I really could have used my personal hotspot then but I didn't want to give up my unlimited plan just for isolated incidents like that.  But I would have been willing to pay an additional fee for say 2 days of data over my personal hotspot.  All other fees and features would still apply, users would simply pay an additional fee for a specified number of days in order to access ATT data services via personal hotspot.  

Please consider that.  It would provide better service to customers and give you a little more revenue that you wouldn't get otherwise.

Personal Hotspot on an Ala Carte basis

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2011 10:43:34 AM
(0)
Professor

We're just users like yourself.  If you really want to make a suggestiong, email, snail mail, or call AT&T.

We're just users like yourself.  If you really want to make a suggestiong, email, snail mail, or call AT&T.

Re: Personal Hotspot on an Ala Carte basis

2 of 10 (4,746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2011 1:14:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

shannonsj wrote:

I would like to suggest that AT&T offer it's customers the option of using Personal Hotspot with their existing unlimited data plan but for an additional fee.

Not gonna happen. The "existing unlimited data plan" is a grandfathered plan, it does not, will not, cannot support or be combined with any new features or offerings that have been added to AT&T since the day it was frozen.

The ala cart offering is there - you convert to the metered plan, and then add personal hotspot and get an additional 2GB of data allowance, for a total of 4GB in your base allowance of data. All for $15 more than you currently pay for unlimited data.

On the metered plan, you can add hotspot, and remove it as desired, and it will be pro-rated for the period used (data allotment is also pro-rated)

shannonsj wrote:

I would like to suggest that AT&T offer it's customers the option of using Personal Hotspot with their existing unlimited data plan but for an additional fee.

Not gonna happen. The "existing unlimited data plan" is a grandfathered plan, it does not, will not, cannot support or be combined with any new features or offerings that have been added to AT&T since the day it was frozen.

The ala cart offering is there - you convert to the metered plan, and then add personal hotspot and get an additional 2GB of data allowance, for a total of 4GB in your base allowance of data. All for $15 more than you currently pay for unlimited data.

On the metered plan, you can add hotspot, and remove it as desired, and it will be pro-rated for the period used (data allotment is also pro-rated)

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 10 (4,736 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2011 7:11:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

I did suggest it to a support tech on the phone....I just threw the suggestion up here in case ATT employees read these things too.   Personally, I think they can make a business case for selling Personal Hotspot by the day to unlimited plan subscribers.  Think about it...how many times have you found yourself without wifi for your laptop and need it for apps on the laptop (like Flash applications).  I use GIS apps regularly that I cannot get on my iphone.  

When the hurricane hit, and we lost power, we lost our cable internet.  I would have paid a ten or twenty dollars per day for that feature.  I'm not talking about checking facebook here,  I needed the internet to work.  I don't think I'm the only one willing to pay that much for a day of wifi when I'm out of options.

But I don't want to comitt to a long term arrangement to prepare for something I will only use a couple of times a year.  Again, they can pick a price point that makes them money and I'll pay it when I have no other options.

I did suggest it to a support tech on the phone....I just threw the suggestion up here in case ATT employees read these things too.   Personally, I think they can make a business case for selling Personal Hotspot by the day to unlimited plan subscribers.  Think about it...how many times have you found yourself without wifi for your laptop and need it for apps on the laptop (like Flash applications).  I use GIS apps regularly that I cannot get on my iphone.  

When the hurricane hit, and we lost power, we lost our cable internet.  I would have paid a ten or twenty dollars per day for that feature.  I'm not talking about checking facebook here,  I needed the internet to work.  I don't think I'm the only one willing to pay that much for a day of wifi when I'm out of options.

But I don't want to comitt to a long term arrangement to prepare for something I will only use a couple of times a year.  Again, they can pick a price point that makes them money and I'll pay it when I have no other options.

4 of 10 (4,672 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2011 7:41:03 PM
(0)
Professor

Switch to the DataPRO plan then add tethering as you need it when you need it.

No long term commitments.

Switch to the DataPRO plan then add tethering as you need it when you need it.

No long term commitments.

5 of 10 (4,668 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2011 5:37:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

shannonsj wrote:

Personally, I think they can make a business case for selling Personal Hotspot by the day to unlimited plan subscribers.

They do offer it

1) switch to a data plan that supports the hotspot add-on

2) add on hot spot when wanted. Drop it when not needed.

They offer NO new features on grandfathered plans. That's what grandfathered means. It means FEATURE FROZEN.

shannonsj wrote:

Personally, I think they can make a business case for selling Personal Hotspot by the day to unlimited plan subscribers.

They do offer it

1) switch to a data plan that supports the hotspot add-on

2) add on hot spot when wanted. Drop it when not needed.

They offer NO new features on grandfathered plans. That's what grandfathered means. It means FEATURE FROZEN.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 10 (4,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2011 6:27:21 AM
(0)
Former Employee
Consider a prepaid air card, there are daily, weekly and monthly passes.
Consider a prepaid air card, there are daily, weekly and monthly passes.

7 of 10 (4,646 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 8:20:59 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by dawfedora on Oct 10, 2011 at 8:34:07 AM

johninsj wrote:

Nonsense!  They offer whatever features make business sense to them.  I have an unlimited data plan.  I added "Global Data Roaming 125 MB".  I roamed globally.  I removed "Global Data Roaming 125 MB".  I still have my original unlimited data plan.  There!  they offered a new feature to someone with a "grandfathered plan".  If AT&T decides they want to offer tethering with limits to people with unlimited data plans, I'm sure they'll find a way to do so.

And technically, grandfathered doesn't mean "FEATURE FROZEN", it means exempt from restrictions which have been added later.

Sounds like you have early adopter envy!

johninsj wrote:

Nonsense!  They offer whatever features make business sense to them.  I have an unlimited data plan.  I added "Global Data Roaming 125 MB".  I roamed globally.  I removed "Global Data Roaming 125 MB".  I still have my original unlimited data plan.  There!  they offered a new feature to someone with a "grandfathered plan".  If AT&T decides they want to offer tethering with limits to people with unlimited data plans, I'm sure they'll find a way to do so.

And technically, grandfathered doesn't mean "FEATURE FROZEN", it means exempt from restrictions which have been added later.

[ Edited ]
8 of 10 (4,343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 8:40:26 AM
(0)
Scholar

dawfedora wrote:

johninsj wrote:

He is correct. Adding a Datapro plan (which is what allows tethering) will replace an existing unlimited data plan, with no option for coming back.

You can have tethering or unlimited, but you can't have both.

dawfedora wrote:

johninsj wrote:

He is correct. Adding a Datapro plan (which is what allows tethering) will replace an existing unlimited data plan, with no option for coming back.

You can have tethering or unlimited, but you can't have both.

9 of 10 (4,328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 12:46:56 PM
(0)
Guru

The tethering plan isn't an add-on so much as it's a replacement. It's not a DataPro 2GB + 2GB Tethering add-on, it's a 4GB Data Pro + Tethering plan. The Global Data Roaming is considered a bolt-on to your existing plan/account, so it doesn't affect the plan currently in place.

Regardless, AT&T has drawn the line in the sand. Unlimited users can keep their plan, but they can't have features like the hotspot.

dawfedora wrote:

johninsj wrote:

The tethering plan isn't an add-on so much as it's a replacement. It's not a DataPro 2GB + 2GB Tethering add-on, it's a 4GB Data Pro + Tethering plan. The Global Data Roaming is considered a bolt-on to your existing plan/account, so it doesn't affect the plan currently in place.

Regardless, AT&T has drawn the line in the sand. Unlimited users can keep their plan, but they can't have features like the hotspot.

dawfedora wrote:

johninsj wrote:

10 of 10 (4,292 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments