Pay As You Go Online service is not available for your account

Tutor

Pay As You Go Online service is not available for your account

Two days ago I activated an ATT SIM card in the Pay as You Go, $2 Daily Unlimited Plan, for Zip 02116. I got the ten digit number  and a Passcode  which was said to be needed (at the very page of "successful activation" ) to access Online Account Management . Going there (att.com/mygophone) and at the login page I put my ten digit number (only numbers!) and the Passcode given (although at the login they say "PIN" and not "passcode", but both have four digits and the former page said I would need the "Passcode" to Log In !!) Well, that´s it ! I go no further as after I put my login numbers I get the message: "The Pay As You Go Online service is not available for your account. Please contact Customer Service."

How am I going to manage my account or Refill my card if I can´t Log In ????  I´ve tried at different times of the day, cleaned the cache,accepted pop-ups, disabled add-ons, used different browsers (safari and internet explorer) everything I saw the forum people recommending and couldn´t get in.

At the FAQ answers is said:

"When you log in for the first time, a temporary passcode will automatically be sent to your phone via text message (SMS). Once you receive this passcode, enter it on the page as directed."

How am I to log the FIRST time if the system doesn´t recognize my numbers ????

Can someone help me ???Ah! I´m not getting ATT signal here (I´m abroad till sunday, when will be back at USA!!) so no SMS at all !!! :-(

Message 1 of 18 (3,430 Views)
Professor

Re: Pay As You Go Online service is not available for your account

For the first login, the pin code is the same as the last four digits of your registered mobile number.

Message 2 of 18 (3,410 Views)

LH13 wrote:

"When you log in for the first time, a temporary passcode will automatically be sent to your phone via text message (SMS). Once you receive this passcode, enter it on the page as directed."

1. How am I to log the FIRST time if the system doesn´t recognize my numbers ?
  2. Ah! I´m not getting ATT signal here (I´m abroad till sunday, when will be back at USA!!) so no SMS at all !!! :-(

Hello LH13 (and ilikewireless),

I think you answered this riddle yourself, LH13:

1. you need to receive the four-digit temporary PIN via SMS to enable your first login -- exactly as the FAQ says.
  2. this cannot be done outside AT&T domestic coverage zones as the SMS will not be received internationally.
  3. when you get back to the US then you will be able to execute the first login by triggering a new SMS to your phone (you can do this many times, as there is only a 15-minute livelihood of the temporary PIN.)

I am sure others will add to this.

Message 3 of 18 (3,401 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

" I got the ten digit number  and a Passcode ..." 

OnlytheShadows, you're right. The OP was probably abroad when he activated his phone online, though it is hard to tell if he did the activation just before he left the US. I chose to think he activated the phone in the US because he was able to activate the phone.

It may be that online account management could only be done when the phone had signal (in the US, Canada and Mexico).

Message 4 of 18 (3,387 Views)

ilikewireless wrote:

" I got the ten digit number  and a Passcode ..." 

OnlytheShadows, you're right. The OP was probably abroad when he activated his phone online, though it is hard to tell if he did the activation just before he left the US. I chose to think he activated the phone in the US because he was able to activate the phone.

It may be that online account management could only be done when the phone had signal (in the US, Canada and Mexico).

Unclear,  you are right, ilikewireless.  The first part did not jive with the second. Maybe he will clarify.  

Message 5 of 18 (3,379 Views)
Tutor

Hi! Thanks for the answers. Let's clarify: I did the activation online abroad ( I'm in Brazil!)
I did use the last four digit as the passcode (as it was said to do) for the FIRST login.
It DIDN'T work!
I wanted to have my SIM working and refilled BEFORE returning...
I guess the FIRST login isn't working and that I will have to wait till I arrive at the airport (and THAT was what I was trying to avoid...! :-(

My question is: if I CAN'T Login the FIRST time, how am I to receive the SMS "after the FIRST login" as the FAQ's states??? Will I receive a SMS just for being in US without login in???

Very confusing to me...! Thanks for any help!
Message 6 of 18 (3,364 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

LH13 wrote:
Hi! Thanks for the answers. Let's clarify: I did the activation online abroad ( I'm in Brazil!)
I did use the last four digit as the passcode (as it was said to do) for the FIRST login.
It DIDN'T work!
I wanted to have my SIM working and refilled BEFORE returning...
I guess the FIRST login isn't working and that I will have to wait till I arrive at the airport (and THAT was what I was trying to avoid...! :-(

My question is: if I CAN'T Login the FIRST time, how am I to receive the SMS "after the FIRST login" as the FAQ's states??? Will I receive a SMS just for being in US without login in???

Very confusing to me...! Thanks for any help!

There's a new twist here. You already received the passcode by online confirmation of activation, just like I did 3 weeks ago. This appears to be a new procedure in enabling visitors to activate online before they arrive in the US.

When I activated my GoPhone weeks ago, the sms message was not in the activation loop. The message simply said welcome to AT&T, now you can manage your account online by going to att.com/mygophone. I actually read this sms message a week after activation as I did not think about reading it until I had a chance to read the manual.

The question of whether your activation was complete remains unanswered as yet: Is the phone considered activated since your phone was out of reach? However, the fact that you did receive a confirmation of activation seems to indicate that the activation was completed. Usually, I think the system would hold the message somewhere until the phone can be reached. There's no doubt in my mind that that is the way the system copes with out of range phones, instead of dumping the message in the bit bucket. My thinking is that the message is not going to be in a permanent holding place. So the question is how long? You may just get lucky if you see an sms message on arrival in the US. The sms message is tagged "free messsage" so it did not require airtime perhaps.

Message 7 of 18 (3,360 Views)

LH13 (and ilikewireless),

My activation process, about four months ago, required receipt of the SMS 4-digit temporary password.  As I recall, there was a software button to request resend of the temporary password, with a note saying that the livelihood of the temporary password was only 15 minutes.

I remember vividly that I had to scamper to insert the SIM on my iPhone to receive the temporary password while looking for the ejection clip of the SIM tray which was stored elsewhere with its original packing.

I did not have to use the last four digits of my 10-digit number.  The first login required the temporary password.  Without it you simply could not create an account under mygophone and complete fiscal activation of the SIM.

Maybe things have changed.  ilikewireless has a fresher experience that is at odds with mine.  And as he says it is unclear in what state your activation is at present.  I would hope that there is a way for you to re-initialize activation once in the states. 

Message 8 of 18 (3,351 Views)
Tutor

Yes guys, it seems I am in a kind of "limbo" here... Well I see I will have to wait till I get there and HOPE  I get that SMS msg and that the whole procedure doesn´t take much of my time (and that was just what I was trying to avoid....)

I agree with ilikewireless, maybe the question is exactly in what kind of "stage" is my activation cause I am abroad. Was it indeed an "successfull activation" as the site stated or not at all as the four digit can´t be used to login ??? I hope at least the number assigned to me don´t change (if I have to do the whole process again) cause I already gave it to some folks who need to reach me.... (?)

Well, thank you both for your time in trying to help me out but if AT&T has this "issue" in the activation process (activating while you are abroad) I think they had to, at least, give the right error message; not just saying that "Pay As You Go Online service is not available for your account" when they just activated it ! But adding at the msg something like: "If you aren´t in US, Canada or Mexico, try again when you come back" (if THIS is really the problem...)

Maybe I´m the first one to try something like this...(??)

Thank U again!

Message 9 of 18 (3,344 Views)

LH13 wrote:

Yes guys, it seems I am in a kind of "limbo" here... Well I see I will have to wait till I get there and HOPE  I get that SMS msg and that the whole procedure doesn´t take much of my time (and that was just what I was trying to avoid....)

I agree with ilikewireless, maybe the question is exactly in what kind of "stage" is my activation cause I am abroad. Was it indeed an "successfull activation" as the site stated or not at all as the four digit can´t be used to login ??? I hope at least the number assigned to me don´t change (if I have to do the whole process again) cause I already gave it to some folks who need to reach me.... (?)

Well, thank you both for your time in trying to help me out but if AT&T has this "issue" in the activation process (activating while you are abroad) I think they had to, at least, give the right error message; not just saying that "Pay As You Go Online service is not available for your account" when they just activated it ! But adding at the msg something like: "If you aren´t in US, Canada or Mexico, try again when you come back" (if THIS is really the problem...)

Thank U again!

Thank you, LH13.  Ohhh!  Copabana and Leme.  Why are you coming back?  *grin*

If it works as it used to (ilikewireless has had a fresher experience), you still have not completed "first login", and the online account management system ("mygophone") will recognize this.  That is, if the system has not radically changed.  You will need either a WiFi enabled smartphone (cellular data will not work!) or a desktop/tablet with network access (Internet cafe/hotel?) to complete the process in the US.

Because you are in "limbo", I would expect you to goto: https://www.paygonline.com/websc/ForgotPassword.do where you will request a password to be sent to your phone with the new SIM.  (Simulating the "Password Lost" condition.)

Check https://www.paygonline.com/websc/ForgotPassword.do now to see what happens, it should not hurt anything, even by being in Brazil.  You will enter your newly assigned number.  Of course, it will not work internationally, but I expect the system to attempt sending the SMS password without an error message.

If you get an error message something else is amiss, LH13.

Finally, you are correct:  error messages sometimes do not map tthe actual trigger conditions, but are "catch all".  For example, when I activated my iPhone as a GoPhone, the error was "... try later", forever.  There was no indication whatsoever that the activation system was "banning" the iPhone IMEI from the process.  I learned that by Google'ing the similar errors of others and figuring a work-around.

Please come back and keep us posted to your final experience.  And many thanks.

Message 10 of 18 (3,337 Views)
Tutor

Thanks OnlyShadow... I think I will try the forgot password thing only at US. I´ve had enough of "error logins" and don´t have much time now... But I promise I will post the results ;-)

By the way, what was your work around with the iPhone loging in ? I had a friend that said he had the same issue (don´t know if he figured it out, but if I can help through your experience I can give him a helping call....)

Tchau !

Message 11 of 18 (2,954 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

LH13 wrote:

Thank U again!

I'd like to think that the activation was successful. It's just a little unconvincing because your phone was out of the country with no roaming. It appears that there would be an undocumented procedure of not requiring your phone to be in the reception range, or even turned on. I wish that this would be true in your case.

About the first and subsequent refill. AT&T did not provide complete instructions. So here it is:

1. Online refill is good for 10 or 13 digit PIN number.

2. *888* method by AT&T works only for 13 digit PIN number (10 digits may be ok). Example *888*PIN# (# sign, then SEND key).

3  If you had a 12-digit PIN, you can just follow the instruction at the back of the card. It requires dialing of a special toll free number. You can try your phone or use a public pay phone at the airport, whichever works. It is the 12-digit hickup that AT&T provided no clue. It will puzzle only those who don't read instructions:LOL:, or whoever relies too much on AT&T.

Message 12 of 18 (2,954 Views)

LH13 wrote:
  1. ... I think I will try the forgot password thing only at US. I´ve had enough of "error logins" ...
  2. what was your work around with the iPhone loging in ? I had a friend that said he had the same issue ...

LH13, I think we got some closure.  ilikewireless and I bid you good luck.  And do not forget to post back with your findings.

1. Wise choice.  You do not want your account to be locked because of too many false tries.
  2. IMEI of all ones:  15-digit sequence of "ones" (including the 15th digit, which is the Luhn checksum), OR, if you prefer, any non-Apple IMEI that you have handy (the first eight digits are vendor specific).
Message 13 of 18 (2,941 Views)
Professor

LH13:

Yep. We bid you good luck. Post back with your success story.

Message 14 of 18 (2,936 Views)
Tutor

Hi guys! Sorry for my delayed answer... In fact I did succed at the end but "the end" wasn´t so easy...

1. I´ve never received the "magical" SMS that would, somehow as I was expecting, give me the password to access my account.

2. Every "800 number" I tried, as well the 611 from the cell phone couldn´t go on cause neither recognized my "successful activated number" as valid.

3. I finally arranged some time to go to an AT&T store to ask (beg actually) for help !!. There they could put U$ 25 on my account but that´s it - again couldn´t reset my password or even receive a new SMS !!!!!!!!!!! (It only worked for receiving my money !!!). After they saw what a mess this whole thing was, they tried changing my SIM card to see if that was the problem. Again, applying that number to the new chip proved not to be a good idea... Then they tried with another chip and a NEW phone number. Voilá - this time my phone began to work as it should in the first time !!!!

I kept the old SIM card and I promise you both that I will BURN IT IN SALEM some day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  .-)

That is the end !

I initiated the whole process in advance just to save time - look what I got !!

It´s 01:25 AM but I couldn´t leave you guys one more day without telling U my "adventure" with this prepaid and thank you again for helping me through this process! Sorry couldn´t get here before but I knew I wasn´t going to have much time this week... ;-(

My best regards to you, thanks a lot, LH13

Message 15 of 18 (2,909 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.