Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 13, 2010
3:38:31 PM
View profile
Pausing AT&T plan for a month
Edited by yectep on May 13, 2010 at 3:39:18 PM

I just got off 611 and I'm not sure I understood what the CSR meant.

Anyway, I will be going back to Hong Kong (I'm an F1 int'l student at UCLA) from mid-June till early August. My billing cycle is on the 20th of the month, so I was wondering whether I could pause my (rather expensive) plan for my June 20-July 20 cycle. Is it possible with AT&T? I've heard from some sources this can be done...but that this month will not count towards my 2 year agreement. I'm fine with that.

I have an unlocked iPhone (bought it over from Hong Kong) and therefore I have the iPhone data plan as well. I don't like how expensive it is one bit, but hey, what can I do...I just don't want to be paying for service which I will definitely not be using.

So has anyone been able to do this, or does AT&T want to grab more of my money and make a run for it? Thanks...

PS: I do *not* want to add the international feature. I have a number and paused my plan back home, which I will reactivate during this period. $24 unlimited everything is much better than roaming Smiley Wink

I just got off 611 and I'm not sure I understood what the CSR meant.

Anyway, I will be going back to Hong Kong (I'm an F1 int'l student at UCLA) from mid-June till early August. My billing cycle is on the 20th of the month, so I was wondering whether I could pause my (rather expensive) plan for my June 20-July 20 cycle. Is it possible with AT&T? I've heard from some sources this can be done...but that this month will not count towards my 2 year agreement. I'm fine with that.

I have an unlocked iPhone (bought it over from Hong Kong) and therefore I have the iPhone data plan as well. I don't like how expensive it is one bit, but hey, what can I do...I just don't want to be paying for service which I will definitely not be using.

So has anyone been able to do this, or does AT&T want to grab more of my money and make a run for it? Thanks...

PS: I do *not* want to add the international feature. I have a number and paused my plan back home, which I will reactivate during this period. $24 unlimited everything is much better than roaming Smiley Wink

Pausing AT&T plan for a month

[ Edited ]
5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2010 6:36:26 AM
(0)
Guru

You can certainly take your data off the phone at bear minimum.  I'm not sure if they will pause it for one month or not.  They let me suspend for six months a couple of years ago,  but I've heard that they've gotten worse about this.  I didn't originally answer your post because my knowledge was dated, but in the hopes of encouraging some additional posts, I decided to post this.

As a heads up, I think you lose rollover minutes if you park and unpark your phone.

You can certainly take your data off the phone at bear minimum.  I'm not sure if they will pause it for one month or not.  They let me suspend for six months a couple of years ago,  but I've heard that they've gotten worse about this.  I didn't originally answer your post because my knowledge was dated, but in the hopes of encouraging some additional posts, I decided to post this.

As a heads up, I think you lose rollover minutes if you park and unpark your phone.

Re: Pausing AT&T plan for a month

2 of 6 (2,091 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2010 12:11:57 PM
(0)
Guru

You can ask for a Reduced Rate Suspension. Your line is suspended for a maximum of 6 months while you just pay $10.00 each month to retain the service.

While checking the expectations I found that all the monthly recurring charges you pay, this including the $30.00 Data Plan, should be suppressed so that you only pay $10.00 each month.

Call Customer Service and ask for this supension. The only important requirements are that your service should be more than 6 months of tenure and your balance should be current.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

You can ask for a Reduced Rate Suspension. Your line is suspended for a maximum of 6 months while you just pay $10.00 each month to retain the service.

While checking the expectations I found that all the monthly recurring charges you pay, this including the $30.00 Data Plan, should be suppressed so that you only pay $10.00 each month.

Call Customer Service and ask for this supension. The only important requirements are that your service should be more than 6 months of tenure and your balance should be current.

3 of 6 (2,082 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2010 10:29:48 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for the tips. I'll try contacting Customer Care tomorrow to get this thing worked out.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try contacting Customer Care tomorrow to get this thing worked out.

4 of 6 (2,049 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 17, 2010 12:42:33 PM
(0)
Guru

You're welcome. Smiley Happy

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

You're welcome. Smiley Happy

5 of 6 (2,031 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2012 10:32:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

Does this option still work? Because this is the answer for my problem. If so, thank you so much!

Does this option still work? Because this is the answer for my problem. If so, thank you so much!

6 of 6 (582 Views)