Wireless Forums

Posted May 21, 2011
9:16:48 PM
View profile
POLL: Sideloading
Who agrees and feels cheated that at&amp;t would release a phone allowing app sideloading and make the current phones wait? I feel cheated and it's crap that neither at&amp;t nor moto can even give a time frame, yes I know it's coming but they should have had this ready before a phone was released with this option.<br><br>I vote cheated
Who agrees and feels cheated that at&amp;t would release a phone allowing app sideloading and make the current phones wait? I feel cheated and it's crap that neither at&amp;t nor moto can even give a time frame, yes I know it's coming but they should have had this ready before a phone was released with this option.<br><br>I vote cheated

POLL: Sideloading

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2011 12:45:40 AM
(0)
Scholar
Root, my friend if you can't wait. XDA is the way to go. This is one thing I didn't know when I bought the Atrix. Now I realize how important sideloading is. My suggestion is don't wait and hope if you really need it, it could take months.
Root, my friend if you can't wait. XDA is the way to go. This is one thing I didn't know when I bought the Atrix. Now I realize how important sideloading is. My suggestion is don't wait and hope if you really need it, it could take months.

Re: POLL: Sideloading

2 of 13 (693 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2011 10:50:49 AM
(0)
Mentor
Yeah I'm a senior member there almost 1700 posts just not ready to void my warranty at least not until the bootloader is unlocked,
Yeah I'm a senior member there almost 1700 posts just not ready to void my warranty at least not until the bootloader is unlocked,

3 of 13 (677 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2011 3:59:59 AM
(0)
Scholar

msd24200 wrote:

You can always flash an SBF back to stock.

msd24200 wrote:

You can always flash an SBF back to stock.

4 of 13 (655 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2011 6:47:36 AM
(0)
Mentor
Yeah I've debated doing it
Yeah I've debated doing it

5 of 13 (648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2011 12:50:15 PM
(0)
Employee

What's official on Side Loading  (Like being able to use the Amazon Android App Store) with my AT&T Motorola ATRIX 4G ?

All the news and response to the news that "AT&T Android Users Can *NOW*  Use Amazon's Andorid App Store" say the fix is in place NOW.  So where is the "setting" to allow the ATRIX to do it? Lots of ta;lk about the other Android offerings but ATRIX is totally missing from all the conversation and buzz.  Why?

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/att-opens-up-android-allows-users-to-download-amazon-appstore/

Where do we go to see the official word on why we don't have and when we we get the side loading capabilty on my top of the line AT&T ATRIX 4G phone?

What's official on Side Loading  (Like being able to use the Amazon Android App Store) with my AT&T Motorola ATRIX 4G ?

All the news and response to the news that "AT&T Android Users Can *NOW*  Use Amazon's Andorid App Store" say the fix is in place NOW.  So where is the "setting" to allow the ATRIX to do it? Lots of ta;lk about the other Android offerings but ATRIX is totally missing from all the conversation and buzz.  Why?

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/att-opens-up-android-allows-users-to-download-amazon-appstore/

Where do we go to see the official word on why we don't have and when we we get the side loading capabilty on my top of the line AT&T ATRIX 4G phone?

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 13 (633 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2011 8:03:45 PM
(0)
Mentor
Well my wifes aria still doesn't have it, pretty crappy to release a phone with that feature enabled and leave the rest of us out. As much as at&t has been hounded and trashed over all this you would have figured they would have had our update ready before that phone came out.
Well my wifes aria still doesn't have it, pretty crappy to release a phone with that feature enabled and leave the rest of us out. As much as at&t has been hounded and trashed over all this you would have figured they would have had our update ready before that phone came out.

7 of 13 (623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2011 8:05:58 PM
(0)
Mentor
I've talked to at&amp;t and motorola and can't get an answer as to when we will get it, not even a remote time frame.
I've talked to at&amp;t and motorola and can't get an answer as to when we will get it, not even a remote time frame.

8 of 13 (621 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2011 5:18:54 AM
(0)
Employee

AT&T needs to intervine to "enhance and support a better customer experience" and insist Motorola push through

the update supporting installs from App Stores other than the Andoid Market so we can enjoy Free Apps from Amazon's

Android App Market.  This is a big black eye for AT&T to allow this to go on, particularly after making it available on

the other Android phones and not on their premier Android phones.

AT&T needs to intervine to "enhance and support a better customer experience" and insist Motorola push through

the update supporting installs from App Stores other than the Andoid Market so we can enjoy Free Apps from Amazon's

Android App Market.  This is a big black eye for AT&T to allow this to go on, particularly after making it available on

the other Android phones and not on their premier Android phones.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

9 of 13 (608 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2011 6:59:18 AM
(0)
Mentor
Agreed, but they don't care as long as they still get my over $200 a month in services and to top it off they have no unlimited data and my dsl service is data caped now as well, may have to switch my internet to insight, a lot faster. Seems like at&t is the only company going backwards and not forward. Not good costumer treatment at all.
Agreed, but they don't care as long as they still get my over $200 a month in services and to top it off they have no unlimited data and my dsl service is data caped now as well, may have to switch my internet to insight, a lot faster. Seems like at&t is the only company going backwards and not forward. Not good costumer treatment at all.

10 of 13 (604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2011 8:00:55 AM
(0)
Employee

Recently I found an article on Life Hacker that described a way to bypass 3rd-party app side loading restrictions

by using a PC software program called Android Injector. The Injector can take any app file .apk and install

it on your Android phone, including the AT&T ATRIX. The tool was not too difficult to install from the XDA developers. It requires a PC software download and install, probably a device driver detect and install,

andf setting your phones USB Connection to "None" and HOME->Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging to be ON (checked) .

O Go to the LifeHaker web site and search for Android Injector

How I Downloaded and Installed The FREE Amazon Android App Of The Day on my AT&T Motorola ATRIX

Since it will no doubt be awhile or more before AT&T gets Motorola to update their software allow 3rd Party Apps, like the Amazon App Store FREE-App-Of_the-Day, I decided to use the Android Injector to do it. I think I have

the process, I hope I didn't forget something.

Here's what I did:

1) Go the Amazon site and navigate (left side) to Appstore for Android -> Apps

2) Select the      Download the Amazon Appstore   using an email address

you can read from your PC instead of a phone number, then GO

3) Read your e-mail from Amazon on your PC making sure you

do the  "Click the link:  Amazon.co   app-email" BUT

save the  Amazon_Appstore-release.apk on your PC

4) Connect your ATRIX to your PC with a USB connection.

When connected swipe to view the notification screen and

select USB Connection.  Then chose "None:.

[ Don't forget the Android Injector requires the option HOME->Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging to be ON (checked) ]

5) Bring up the Android Injector and Sectect File  your downloaded Amazon_Appstore-release.apk

6) Check the install starts up on your ATRIX. You will not be able to

completely install any Amazon Store apps with this Amazon App Store App.

But you will get close enough. Supply your Amazon account information.

7) On your PC go to the Amazon.com home web page and navigate to

Appstore for Android -> Apps.  Find the FREE App Of The Day and

select  "Get app" and follow the $0.00 checkout.

8) Now, go to your ATRIX and start up the Amazon Appstore. You

should be able to see your new free app in My Apps as an app to

download and install. Select Install.

9) Note the .apk file will be downloaded BUT fail to install because of

the AT&T / Motorola block of 3rd party software. BUT, the .apk file

is now on you phone! I found it to be located in the directory folder

/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.venezia/cache

The file will be one that ends in .apk but no obvious name connected

with the app.

10) Change the USB Connection on the phone from "None" to

"USB Mass Storage".  That will make the ATRIX files visible to

your PC.  Using your PC navigate the Windows File on your

ATRIX.  Go to /mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.venezia/cache

and copy it to a folder on your PC.

11) Change the USB Connection back to "None". Then use the

Android Injector to install the .apk  from the PC folder you

just copied it to.

12) Locate the App on your ATRIX and start it up!

I think I got all the steps right.

PeteC

Recently I found an article on Life Hacker that described a way to bypass 3rd-party app side loading restrictions

by using a PC software program called Android Injector. The Injector can take any app file .apk and install

it on your Android phone, including the AT&T ATRIX. The tool was not too difficult to install from the XDA developers. It requires a PC software download and install, probably a device driver detect and install,

andf setting your phones USB Connection to "None" and HOME->Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging to be ON (checked) .

O Go to the LifeHaker web site and search for Android Injector

How I Downloaded and Installed The FREE Amazon Android App Of The Day on my AT&T Motorola ATRIX

Since it will no doubt be awhile or more before AT&T gets Motorola to update their software allow 3rd Party Apps, like the Amazon App Store FREE-App-Of_the-Day, I decided to use the Android Injector to do it. I think I have

the process, I hope I didn't forget something.

Here's what I did:

1) Go the Amazon site and navigate (left side) to Appstore for Android -> Apps

2) Select the      Download the Amazon Appstore   using an email address

you can read from your PC instead of a phone number, then GO

3) Read your e-mail from Amazon on your PC making sure you

do the  "Click the link:  Amazon.co   app-email" BUT

save the  Amazon_Appstore-release.apk on your PC

4) Connect your ATRIX to your PC with a USB connection.

When connected swipe to view the notification screen and

select USB Connection.  Then chose "None:.

[ Don't forget the Android Injector requires the option HOME->Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging to be ON (checked) ]

5) Bring up the Android Injector and Sectect File  your downloaded Amazon_Appstore-release.apk

6) Check the install starts up on your ATRIX. You will not be able to

completely install any Amazon Store apps with this Amazon App Store App.

But you will get close enough. Supply your Amazon account information.

7) On your PC go to the Amazon.com home web page and navigate to

Appstore for Android -> Apps.  Find the FREE App Of The Day and

select  "Get app" and follow the $0.00 checkout.

8) Now, go to your ATRIX and start up the Amazon Appstore. You

should be able to see your new free app in My Apps as an app to

download and install. Select Install.

9) Note the .apk file will be downloaded BUT fail to install because of

the AT&T / Motorola block of 3rd party software. BUT, the .apk file

is now on you phone! I found it to be located in the directory folder

/mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.venezia/cache

The file will be one that ends in .apk but no obvious name connected

with the app.

10) Change the USB Connection on the phone from "None" to

"USB Mass Storage".  That will make the ATRIX files visible to

your PC.  Using your PC navigate the Windows File on your

ATRIX.  Go to /mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.venezia/cache

and copy it to a folder on your PC.

11) Change the USB Connection back to "None". Then use the

Android Injector to install the .apk  from the PC folder you

just copied it to.

12) Locate the App on your ATRIX and start it up!

I think I got all the steps right.

PeteC

Re: POLL: Sideloading - Alternative to Rooting While We Wait For AT&T

11 of 13 (463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2011 10:49:06 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by aranea on Jun 13, 2011 at 10:52:02 PM

I want sideloading but ATT likes to keep us behind walls. Why did I switch of T-Mobile?...

One way to get noticed is to call customer support everyday until we get it. If all of us calls just once everyday to ask for it they'll customer support will start getting clogged. That's when they'll have to something.

I want sideloading but ATT likes to keep us behind walls. Why did I switch of T-Mobile?...

One way to get noticed is to call customer support everyday until we get it. If all of us calls just once everyday to ask for it they'll customer support will start getting clogged. That's when they'll have to something.

[ Edited ]
12 of 13 (373 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2011 8:35:59 PM
(0)
Mentor
Gingerbread WILL enable app sideloading
Gingerbread WILL enable app sideloading