Helpful Links

POLICY, POLICY, AND POLICY. NEVER FOR THE CUSTOMERS

Contributor

POLICY, POLICY, AND POLICY. NEVER FOR THE CUSTOMERS

I HAVE A FAMILY PLAN, IN WHICH ARE INCLUDED 3 LINES.

I HAD TO SUSPEND ONE OF THE LINES BACK IN MAY, 2011 BECAUSE THE PERSON USING THAT LINE WAS ABROAD.

WHEN I CALLED CUSTOMER SERVICES, I WAS TOLD THAT I ONLY HAD TO PAY $10 BUT NOT THE FEES FOR THE DATA PLAN AND OTHER FEATURES.

I HAD REACTIVATED THE LINE A COUPLE OF MONTHS LATER, BUT I HAD TO SUSPEND THE LINE AGAIN LAST MONTH.

THIS TIME I THOUGHT I WOULD JUST DO IT ONLINE AND SUSPENDED THAT SAME LINE AS LOST/STOLEN.

WHEN I GOT THE STATEMENT RIGHT AFTER SUSPENDING THE LINE, I FOUND THAT I WAS BILLED FOR THE DATA AND OTHER FEATURES.

BUT I FIGURED THE ADJUSTMENT WAS NOT YET MADE.

THEN, I GOT THIS MONTH'S STATEMENT AND FOUND THAT I WAS STILL BEING CHARGED FOR THE DATA PLAN AND THE FEATURES.

SO I CONTACTED THE CUSTOMER SERVICES, AND THE REPRESENTATIVE TOLD ME THAT IT WAS THEIR POLICY THAT I PAY FOR ALL THE CHARGES EVEN WHEN THE LINE WAS SUSPENDED AND NOT USED.

I TOLD HER I HAD PAID ONLY $10 FOR SUSPENDING A LINE BEFORE, AND SHE EXPLAINED TO ME THAT WHAT I HAD WAS A "REDUCED RATE SUSPENSION" AND THAT I WAS NO LONGER QUALIFYING BECAUSE THEIR "POLICY" ONLY ALLOWS ME TO HAVE IT FOR 180 DAYS BUT ONLY ONCE IN A 12-MONTH PERIOD.

I ASKED HER IF THERE WERE ANY OPTIONS TO CANCEL THE DATA PLAN AND FEATURES, BUT THE "POLICY" WON'T LET ME CANCEL THEM BECAUSE THE SUSPENDED DEVICE WAS AN I-PHONE AND IT MUST HAVE A DATA PLAN.

I CAN TRY TO UNDERSTAND I DON'T REALLY HAVE AN "OPTION" TO CHOOSE TO HAVE A DATA PLAN OR NOT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

BUT WHEN I'M NOT EVEN USING THE PHONE AND HAVE IT SUSPENDED, WHY SHOULD I PAY FOR THE DATA AND FEATURES?

I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND I'M RESPONSIBLE TO PAY THE RATE FOR THE LINE, BUT WHY THE FEATURES?

IT'S NOT BEING USED!

AND THEIR "POLICY" WOULDN'T EVEN LET ME USE THE REST OF THE DAYS I DIDN'T USE OUT OF THAT 180-DAY-ONLY-REDUCED-RATE-SUSPENSION BECAUSE THE "POLICY" SAYS ONLY ONCE IN A 12-MONTH PERIOD.

AND IT'S NOT LIKE THAT ONCE IN A 12-MONTH OPPORTUNITY ACCUMULATES IF I DON'T EVER USE IT UP.

NO, OF COURSE NOT, BECAUSE IF THAT'S THE CASE, THE COMPANY DOESN'T GET THE MONEY OUT OF PEOPLE.

WHAT IF I LOST THE I-PHONE AND COULDN'T REPLACE IT WITH THE DEVICE THAT IS COMPATIBLE TO USE THE DATA PLAN?

I GUESS I JUST HAVE TO SUCK IT UP AND THROW MONEY OUT TO THE AT&T BECAUSE THAT'S THEIR WAY OF CHEATING OUT POLICIES TO GET MONEY THEY DIDN'T EARN.

THERE IS A REASON PEOPLE USE PRE-PAID PHONES.

Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Re: POLICY, POLICY, AND POLICY. NEVER FOR THE CUSTOMERS

I wish you hadn't typed in all caps. Make your post too hard to read.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5

kdfederer wrote:
I wish you hadn't typed in all caps. Make your post too hard to read.

I almost didn't read it becuase of all the caps.

Policy is policy, thats really all I can say. Some may agree and some may disagree. If you suspend your phone for voluntary or lost/stolen charges do continue, just because you no longer have a phone or arent going to use your phone doesnt mean you didn't sign a contract with AT&T to pay a monthly bill statement. AT&T offeres the RRS if you travel abroad and do not want to sign up for international services, but that is limited to one time per 365 period, no matter if you use your full 180 days or not.

Message 3 of 5
Former Community Manager

I'm sorry you had a difficult time with this however the agent you spoke with is correct. 

I'd be happy to have someone give you a call to go over the details of account suspension. If you'd like me to do that, please send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you.

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 5
Scholar

If you put a dumbphone on that line you can drop the required data plan.  Would have to call in and give the IMEI to customer service but once the phone is updated to a feature phone in AT&T's system you can drop the data plan and only pay the $10 a month for the line. 

Just be aware, if you have unlimited data and drop it you won't be able to get it back when you go back to the iPhone. 

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Announcements

iPhone 8 and 8 Plus is Here! Learn What’s New and How to Order

The Apple Watch Series 3 is Here! Learn how to have the freedom to go with just your watch!

The iPhone X (10) is on it's way!

Additional Support