PHONE ENVY!

Teacher

PHONE ENVY!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/07/htc_evo_debuts/

I have a backflip because that was the only android OS phone they had.

AT&A? When are you gonna get more Android phones? I want an EVO!

Message 1 of 12 (3,123 Views)
Former Moderator

Re: PHONE ENVY!

Message 2 of 12 (3,094 Views)
Scholar

I am definitely going through phone envy.  ATT is doing a crappy job of bringing out decent phones.  The new iphone does not nothing for me ......

Message 3 of 12 (2,952 Views)
Professor

UHmump95 wrote:

The new iphone does not nothing for me ......

No doubt, Steve Job's keynote speech at the WWDC was actually kinda pathetic, him trying to sound all enthusiastic about finally upgrading all the things on the iPhone that were inferior to just about every other smartphone on the market, like multitasking, screen resolution, camera quality.  Like Apple is doing something new and groundbreaking, when in fact they are just updating things that are way behind the competition.

Message 4 of 12 (2,946 Views)
Expert

redpoint73 wrote:

UHmump95 wrote:

No doubt, Steve Job's keynote speech at the WWDC was actually kinda pathetic, him trying to sound all enthusiastic about finally upgrading all the things on the iPhone that were inferior to just about every other smartphone on the market, like multitasking, screen resolution, camera quality.  Like Apple is doing something new and groundbreaking, when in fact they are just updating things that are way behind the competition.

iPhone 4 keynote video now available on Apple's site - http://bit.ly/aggCRf

Message 5 of 12 (2,944 Views)
Scholar

The EVO is Ok but it needs a slider keyboard (vertical preferable).

Message 6 of 12 (2,917 Views)
Scholar

redpoint73 wrote:

UHmump95 wrote:

To be fair, they did leapfrog everyone else when it comes to screen res... 960x640 vs 800x480 (on high-end Android devices) doesn't sound like much but it's a substantial bump up in resolution, way more pixels on screen... 'Course the screen is still only 3.5" so it's debatable whether it's actually overkill, the only reason they went w/that specific res to begin with is to make it easier to port or scale existing apps.

I like the slightly wider aspect of most Android phones (slightly wider than 16:10, the iPhone would be 15:10), it makes the phone itself a bit more narrow and leaves less empty bezzel (i.e. those big empty black spaces atop/below any iPhone's screen). I'm sure the new iPhone's IPS screen is gorgeous tho, and some will prefer it a lot over larger screens. Personally I'm liking my 4.3" screen...

If you're gonna go without a physical keyboard you might as well pack as large a screen as it's comfortable for you to carry, imho.

Message 7 of 12 (2,892 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

ameiurus wrote:

No way, it's already a pretty massive phone... 'Specially once you put a case or skin on it. If you add a keyboard to a 4.3" screen you're gonna end up w/a total brick. The EVO is actually noticeably heavier than the in-store dummy units, can't imagine how it'd be with a keyboard. The weigh actually surprised me more than the size... It's not cumbersome, but definitely noticeable (and I've carried an iPod touch plenty before the EVO).
I think 3.7" is the sweet spot for phones w/keyboards, particularly landscape keyboards. We haven't really seen very many high-end phones w/sliding vertical keyboards since the Pre tho (and that phone is plagued w/build quality issues), but Dell's WP7 vertical sliding mockups look very sleek. Who knows what HTC (or even Palm/HP?) have up their sleeve for later this year and 2011...
Message 8 of 12 (2,889 Views)
Voyager

*shrug*  I gave up waiting for AT&T to actual get a top-end Android phone.  Bought a Nexus One about a month ago, dumped my Pure and haven't looked back.  Froyo (Android 2.2) made the Exchange sync a lot better and really mitigated the only major complaint I had. 

Sure, I like how HTC's sense works, but there is nothing on or coming to AT&T that compares.  Cannot STAND the chin on the older Android's (and the Legend) - the N1 looks sleek, runs well and is bare of the usual bundled junk. 

-- Ravensfire

Message 9 of 12 (2,866 Views)
Teacher

I like to wait a bit for new arrivals to come of age a bit instead of buying the first model. What will the next Nexus be like I wonder? How much better than it is now?

Message 10 of 12 (2,847 Views)
Teacher

Shhh! Don't tell the Apple fan boys. I love how Steve Jobs always shows up in his working man's blue jeans like he's got grease under his fingernails like us working stiffs. He does have  formidible marketing abilities, I'll give him that.

Message 11 of 12 (1,437 Views)
Scholar

Impulses wrote:

ameiurus wrote:

No way, it's already a pretty massive phone... 'Specially once you put a case or skin on it. If you add a keyboard to a 4.3" screen you're gonna end up w/a total brick. The EVO is actually noticeably heavier than the in-store dummy units, can't imagine how it'd be with a keyboard. The weigh actually surprised me more than the size... It's not cumbersome, but definitely noticeable (and I've carried an iPod touch plenty before the EVO).
I think 3.7" is the sweet spot for phones w/keyboards, particularly landscape keyboards. We haven't really seen very many high-end phones w/sliding vertical keyboards since the Pre tho (and that phone is plagued w/build quality issues), but Dell's WP7 vertical sliding mockups look very sleek. Who knows what HTC (or even Palm/HP?) have up their sleeve for later this year and 2011...

I disagree.  Brick me!  Weight has no issue with me.  This phone with a vertical slider would be the absolute perfect phone for me.  I have a Tilt2 right now and it's way too small for me.

Message 12 of 12 (1,373 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.