Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 23, 2008
8:24:54 PM
View profile
PC card problems
Hi guys, wonder if you can help me...Have a IBM Think Pad Laptop with two USB slot for the 3G Max pc card...The bottom works fine, but when i try the card in the top, it freezes the computer and when I disconnect the card, the computer shuts down.  I did everything to uninstall the drivers to rebooting to earlier checkpoints when both slots were working.  I even uninstall the cingular manager and reinstall, still no luck.  Are there any other suggestions...Im running Windows XP

Or could the prongs be bent in the top slot?  If so, how can I get that fix...Really don't want to just have one slot to work without having a back-up!

Thanks
Hi guys, wonder if you can help me...Have a IBM Think Pad Laptop with two USB slot for the 3G Max pc card...The bottom works fine, but when i try the card in the top, it freezes the computer and when I disconnect the card, the computer shuts down.  I did everything to uninstall the drivers to rebooting to earlier checkpoints when both slots were working.  I even uninstall the cingular manager and reinstall, still no luck.  Are there any other suggestions...Im running Windows XP

Or could the prongs be bent in the top slot?  If so, how can I get that fix...Really don't want to just have one slot to work without having a back-up!

Thanks

PC card problems

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2008 4:39:07 AM
(0)
Master
So if I understand, the aircard works in the bottom of the 2 slots, but freezes in the upper of the slots right?  Why not look at the specs for your laptop and determine if the slots may actually be different type and if that does not provide an answer then a call to your manufacture may be needed.
So if I understand, the aircard works in the bottom of the 2 slots, but freezes in the upper of the slots right?  Why not look at the specs for your laptop and determine if the slots may actually be different type and if that does not provide an answer then a call to your manufacture may be needed.

Re: PC card problems

2 of 5 (2,106 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2008 4:56:54 AM
(0)
Scholar
You don't say which model you have.  On my IBM Thinkpad R40, the bottom slot is a Cardbus PC Card slot, and the top slot is not.  The Cardbus slot is a PCI direct slot that allows the card to use bus mastering, allow faster performance.  I don't know the specifics of the card you have, if it requires a Cardbus slot or not. 

Hope that helps
You don't say which model you have.  On my IBM Thinkpad R40, the bottom slot is a Cardbus PC Card slot, and the top slot is not.  The Cardbus slot is a PCI direct slot that allows the card to use bus mastering, allow faster performance.  I don't know the specifics of the card you have, if it requires a Cardbus slot or not. 

Hope that helps

3 of 5 (2,101 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2008 6:21:37 AM
(0)
Guru
I had a Sony Ericsson GC-83 that I used in a ThinkPad 600E which had 2 card slots. At one point, one of the slots quit working with the GC-83. Diagnostics did not show up any problems. I even went so far as to do a fresh install of the operating system, Windows 2000, but only one of the slots would work. So you may just have a defective slot.

Your idea regarding the pins is a good one. Take a look in both slots with a flashlight to see if you see any bent or missing pins.

One other thing you could try is to uninstall the communication software for the card, then go to Device Manager, select the PCMCIA devices, right-click on each of them and choose uninstall. When you reboot, the PCMCIA devices should be reinstalled. Once the Found Hardware Wizard is finished, reinstall the software for your cellular card, then plug the card in the slot that wasn't working before and see what happens.
I had a Sony Ericsson GC-83 that I used in a ThinkPad 600E which had 2 card slots. At one point, one of the slots quit working with the GC-83. Diagnostics did not show up any problems. I even went so far as to do a fresh install of the operating system, Windows 2000, but only one of the slots would work. So you may just have a defective slot.

Your idea regarding the pins is a good one. Take a look in both slots with a flashlight to see if you see any bent or missing pins.

One other thing you could try is to uninstall the communication software for the card, then go to Device Manager, select the PCMCIA devices, right-click on each of them and choose uninstall. When you reboot, the PCMCIA devices should be reinstalled. Once the Found Hardware Wizard is finished, reinstall the software for your cellular card, then plug the card in the slot that wasn't working before and see what happens.

4 of 5 (2,096 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2008 2:45:43 PM
(0)
Mentor
actually i would check the drivers for your usb host controller, there are also many usb updates avail for xp from microsoft that may help as well.
actually i would check the drivers for your usb host controller, there are also many usb updates avail for xp from microsoft that may help as well.

5 of 5 (1,989 Views)