Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 6, 2008
6:04:34 AM
View profile
PC Card USB 881 or Express Card 881 - Signal Strength
Purchased USB 881 card but after reading some reports and reviews on the net , concern that the reception sginal on the USB adapter may not be strong enough compared to Express 881 adapter.

Anyone has experience with that.

My signal is -100db.

Thanks
ROman
Purchased USB 881 card but after reading some reports and reviews on the net , concern that the reception sginal on the USB adapter may not be strong enough compared to Express 881 adapter.

Anyone has experience with that.

My signal is -100db.

Thanks
ROman

PC Card USB 881 or Express Card 881 - Signal Strength

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2008 7:51:30 AM
(0)
Master
No experience but with a -100dbm signal your not going to remain connected for very long.
No experience but with a -100dbm signal your not going to remain connected for very long.

Re: PC Card USB 881 or Express Card 881 - Signal Strength

2 of 5 (2,620 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2008 12:55:36 PM
(0)
Voyager
Anyone looked into getting portable antena to boost the signal?  Something that would fit in a backpack with laptop.  I see that SeirraWireless has lists of vendors that sell antenas. 

Roman
Anyone looked into getting portable antena to boost the signal?  Something that would fit in a backpack with laptop.  I see that SeirraWireless has lists of vendors that sell antenas. 

Roman

3 of 5 (2,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2008 2:34:22 AM
(0)
Scholar
I have read in another post that someone had acquired a male / female USB cord and used that to be able to position the USB 881 differently (closer to a window, etc.) for better reception.  I recently got the USB 881 and have had very strong signal strength and performance.  It replaced a express card but that was from a different carrier so no real comparison.  Did you check the AT&T coverage map for data coverage for your address / zip code? 
I have read in another post that someone had acquired a male / female USB cord and used that to be able to position the USB 881 differently (closer to a window, etc.) for better reception.  I recently got the USB 881 and have had very strong signal strength and performance.  It replaced a express card but that was from a different carrier so no real comparison.  Did you check the AT&T coverage map for data coverage for your address / zip code? 

4 of 5 (2,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2008 12:28:46 PM
(0)
Teacher
I bought a 6' USB extension cable for my USB881 to get it on the window sill. The connection and speed is much improved on both the desktop and laptop. 
I bought a 6' USB extension cable for my USB881 to get it on the window sill. The connection and speed is much improved on both the desktop and laptop. 

5 of 5 (2,493 Views)