Overnight Data on Bill

Contributor

Overnight Data on Bill

I am curious as to why almost every night there are data 'charges' ranging from anywhere from 50MB to 300MB at something like 2am... I can't seem to think what app would be doing this. I do not have email connected to my iphone since my corp email is proprietary to a blackberry only. Also during these times I am at home and the iphone is easily connected to my wireless signal which is only being broadcast maybe 10 feet from me at most- so I can't understand why the phone would be even using a 3G connection at this time... 

Thoughts: 

Could this just be a culmination of data used that day? I do use AOL Radio for some extended periods of time some days on the 3G Connection at my office (since I can't connect on the Wifi access there) 

The only "heavily updating" apps that could lead to this would be Facebook (which I am never on), a Twitter Feed (I am only subscribed to one- local town news), but nothing I can see that takes up 300MB in a single session. 

Do others see this as well?

I am going to keep the unlimited plans going forward on the 3GS and am also wondering if AT&T still have that "soft cap" at 5GB when you reach that- if these data amounts are legit I can easliy get close to 5GB then (which would lead me to believe its the AOL Radio connection). Do they still have pricing that reflects ranges in the $100's once you go above 5GB?? Or is it REALLY unlimited?? 

Thanks for any feedback! 

Message 1 of 10 (2,571 Views)
Professor

Re: Overnight Data on Bill

When the iPhone goes to sleep or is put to sleep, the Wi-Fi is turned off.

Have you tried turning off all push notifications for your apps?

Message 2 of 10 (2,521 Views)
Contributor

Same thing is happening to my iPhone. 30 Mb - 50 Mb being charged every night, like around 2:48 am.

Yesterday, i restore my iphone, and i left it on with no apps (only facebook), and 22 Kb was charged. Today I will turn the phone off to check if something get charged.

My dad's iphone have more apps than me, and his uses like 3 Mb each night. It is not comparable to 30 Mb +...

Besides that, I think I am able to get the new 200MB/$15.00 ATT new plan, but the nights charges are incredibly biiigggggg...

Any ideas? Please, let me know. Thanks

Message 3 of 10 (2,402 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Many things run on the iPhone that are repeatedly pinged over time. Unless you have your iPhone plugged into a charger and the WiFi system turned on, it will ping on the 3G network instead. Many things are refreshed on the iPhone if Airplane Mode is not enabled:

• Push Notifications on Apps
  • Calendar
  • Contacts
  • SMS
  • Voice
  • App Store
  • etc

All of these are pushed or fetched manually (most of them push only) unless you enable the airplane mode.

Message 4 of 10 (2,393 Views)

I believe that there is some sort of "call back" processing taking place on our phones.

AT&T, or maybe Apple, has some sort of process that connects and sends information out via 3G to some server some where, and we get to pay for it.

I will try to remember "airplane mode" my phone tonight, and then tomorrow morning switch it on and I'll watch to see if there's any kind of activity.

I know for darn sure I have no push enabled, nor any apps setup to automatically retrieve anything (besides even if I did, my expectation is that it would use my Wifi at home, not 3G).

The only reason to use 3G and not default this traffic to Wifi, is that on your own local Wifi you can sniff the packets being sent, watch the traffic, see what's going on with minimal effort.  However, transmitting that data via 3G unless you have some very specific equipment and an extremely specific knowledge set to be able to capture and interpret what's going on.

If this is something being initiated by AT&T, I don't want to pay for it.  If this is something being done by Apple, I STILL don't want to pay for it and they owe us all money.

Message 5 of 10 (2,360 Views)
Master

DimentoGraven wrote:

(besides even if I did, my expectation is that it would use my Wifi at home, not 3G).

That expectation would be wrong.  If your phone goes into standby/sleep it also shuts off the WiFi to save power.  At that point it will be using cellular data for background tasks (things like checking mail etc etc). This is standard with most phones that have WiFi.

If your phones been in standby for a min with the screen off, tap the home button and look at the connection in the top corner.  You will see it switch from your cellular connection (3G, E, o) to WiFi.

Message 6 of 10 (2,336 Views)

Planet-Ed wrote:

That expectation would be wrong.  If your phone goes into standby/sleep it also shuts off the WiFi to save power.  At that point it will be using cellular data for background tasks (things like checking mail etc etc). This is standard with most phones that have WiFi.

If your phones been in standby for a min with the screen off, tap the home button and look at the connection in the top corner.  You will see it switch from your cellular connection (3G, E, o) to WiFi.

First, I don't actually know the power requirements of transmitting cellular verses Wifi, but this seems counter intuitive.  Since the broadcast/reception radius of Wifi is much, much smaller than cellular, I would expect Wifi transmissions to require LESS power and cellular to require MUCH GREATER power.

If heat build up/battery life is any indication of the power pulled when I'm using Pandora or Slacker apps at home with an active Wifi connection verses at my office where it's cellular, I'd have to say that Wifi uses MUCH less power than cellular.  I do admit this is only anectdotal observation, nothing I've taken serious efforts to measure, so I could be misinterpreting what I'm observing.

How about next software revision we make this user configurable.  I ONLY want it to use Wifi for data when I'm in a Wifi hotspot.

Secondly, I've specifically made sure to NOT have my phone checking email or automatically doing anything that would require data traffic.  So what gives with the early morning data traffic?

Message 7 of 10 (2,331 Views)

See the below thread.

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Billing/Weird-data-charges-in-the-middle-of-the-night/m-p/1926375#...

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.
Message 8 of 10 (2,298 Views)
Contributor

It is excessive the data I am being charged. Now, the new plans are coming and i cannot use them, because att charges like 30 MB every night.... this is ridiculous...

And it does not make sense. My cousin uses his iPhone more than me… his usage at midnight is like 30 Kb, mine is 30 000 Kb.. can you imagine? Also, when I removed all apps, nothing was charged (something quite small, like 30 KB) but in the afternoons was used as normal, it cannot be cumulative….

Message 9 of 10 (2,215 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is only one way to NOT  get charged when on wifi is to go to settings (on the iphone) general, network, and turn cellular data off so it can't use 3g or whatever BUT Be careful to close all apps before your phone goes to sleep because the phone will use 3g or whatever when asleep if any apps are open so to close apps double press the home button and on one of the apps press and hold until it starts to shake then press on the little minus sign do that for all apps. 

Hope This Was Helpful !

Message 10 of 10 (810 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.