Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 8, 2012
10:15:12 AM
View profile
Overcharges for 20 billing cycles, refund not complete or correct
Edited by Phil-101 on Jun 8, 2012 at 10:59:46 AM

Hello,

I am pretty disappointed with AT&T customer service / policies regarding a refund to my account. Quite a long time ago I merged my wife's phone with mine under a family talk 550 plan. When I received the new bill, it was about the same cost as our previous bills independently. These were iPhones and I was under the assumption that these needed separate plans as a special case for the iPhone. My ignorance I felt was taken advantage of during this family talk plan setup as only the data plans needed to remain separate and these two phones on a family talk plan should be combined for one charge. This included separate texting plans which also should have been combined. I thought however that everything was ok until I recently looked into adding an additional iPhone to the plan and realized the error on AT&T's part when setting up the account. The iPhones were always listed as separate groups under My AT&T online profile, I thought this had been done correctly.

I called yesterday to get this error on AT&T's part corrected. I was told that they could only refund me $500 of the ~$1000 they have taken from me for no additional service. Why will they not refund me my full amount? In addition I checked my account today and the refund amount is $257.51. Where did this number come from? I have an email from customer support saying that $500 is refunded to my account.

This is part of the notification email I received from AT&T: address, credit amount that they said would be applied, and the manager I talked to.

****@att.com

The following adjustment(s) have been applied to your account:
Date Applied: 06/07/2012
Credit Amount: $500.00

AT&T Business Solutions Customer Care

I could understand not refunding me the full amount if I had received some additional service from AT&T for the extra money they have been taking from me. If I pay somebody $20 to mow my front lawn, and they come back and charge me $40 because they mowed the front and back yards, I would not be happy, but at least I got some additional service out of the transaction! Here, AT&T gave me nothing in return for taking my additional payments for an error on their end! Where did this money go? It certainly was not used to help pay any additional services on my account.

I would hope it is not general practice of AT&T to take advantage of the ignorance of its customers by confusing them with multiple tiers of talk/data/services/groupings to get them to pay for service that is never received, and then not refund their full amount when AT&T's error is shown to them! Why would I ever want two family talk plans on only two phones in my household? Why would AT&T set up my account like this in the first place?

-wox

[edited for privacy]

Hello,

I am pretty disappointed with AT&T customer service / policies regarding a refund to my account. Quite a long time ago I merged my wife's phone with mine under a family talk 550 plan. When I received the new bill, it was about the same cost as our previous bills independently. These were iPhones and I was under the assumption that these needed separate plans as a special case for the iPhone. My ignorance I felt was taken advantage of during this family talk plan setup as only the data plans needed to remain separate and these two phones on a family talk plan should be combined for one charge. This included separate texting plans which also should have been combined. I thought however that everything was ok until I recently looked into adding an additional iPhone to the plan and realized the error on AT&T's part when setting up the account. The iPhones were always listed as separate groups under My AT&T online profile, I thought this had been done correctly.

I called yesterday to get this error on AT&T's part corrected. I was told that they could only refund me $500 of the ~$1000 they have taken from me for no additional service. Why will they not refund me my full amount? In addition I checked my account today and the refund amount is $257.51. Where did this number come from? I have an email from customer support saying that $500 is refunded to my account.

This is part of the notification email I received from AT&T: address, credit amount that they said would be applied, and the manager I talked to.

****@att.com

The following adjustment(s) have been applied to your account:
Date Applied: 06/07/2012
Credit Amount: $500.00

AT&T Business Solutions Customer Care

I could understand not refunding me the full amount if I had received some additional service from AT&T for the extra money they have been taking from me. If I pay somebody $20 to mow my front lawn, and they come back and charge me $40 because they mowed the front and back yards, I would not be happy, but at least I got some additional service out of the transaction! Here, AT&T gave me nothing in return for taking my additional payments for an error on their end! Where did this money go? It certainly was not used to help pay any additional services on my account.

I would hope it is not general practice of AT&T to take advantage of the ignorance of its customers by confusing them with multiple tiers of talk/data/services/groupings to get them to pay for service that is never received, and then not refund their full amount when AT&T's error is shown to them! Why would I ever want two family talk plans on only two phones in my household? Why would AT&T set up my account like this in the first place?

-wox

[edited for privacy]

Overcharges for 20 billing cycles, refund not complete or correct

[ Edited ]
3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2012 2:04:35 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hey Wox - got your PM and responded. I'm sure we can help get this all sorted out. I need a bit more info from you so please reply to my PM when you get a moment. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Hey Wox - got your PM and responded. I'm sure we can help get this all sorted out. I need a bit more info from you so please reply to my PM when you get a moment. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Overcharges for 20 billing cycles, refund not complete or correct

2 of 4 (625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2012 4:04:46 PM
(0)
Tutor

Was able to resolve all of my problems on this customer service issue. Thank you for the excellent service through these message boards!

-wox

Was able to resolve all of my problems on this customer service issue. Thank you for the excellent service through these message boards!

-wox

3 of 4 (617 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2012 5:55:58 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

That's great! I just checked your escalation ticket this morning and saw that Nicole was able to get your billing stuff all straightened out. 

I'm glad we were able to help and I hope to see you stick around on the forums; there are a lot of great folks here!

--------------

That's great! I just checked your escalation ticket this morning and saw that Nicole was able to get your billing stuff all straightened out. 

I'm glad we were able to help and I hope to see you stick around on the forums; there are a lot of great folks here!

--------------

4 of 4 (596 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments