Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 29, 2011
8:53:54 PM
View profile
Outrageous system for data charges - no control

My wife and I upgraded to i4 phones, and have the unlimited data "grandfathered."  We gave our 20 year old granddaughter my wife's 3GS phone, and signed her up under our account.  She is a college student, and opted to keep cost as low as possible, so she took the 200 MB data plan.  She is very conscientious about using the phone for internet usage ONLY when she is on our WIFI at home.  Now she gets messages that she has over 555 MB of data usage!  When I check my account, I see that I have used 74 MB, and my wife has used 144 MB in the same time period, and we have used internet access away from home frequently.

AT&T C/S implies that my granddaughter does lots of streaming, and gets "dropped" from our wireless at times.  They don't have a clue why my wife and I DON'T get "dropped" on our phones or laptops.  Their only solution is to backdate the 2GB plan to start of service.  That doesn't SOLVE the problem.  Other solution is to turn off the "Cellular Data" feature when on WIFI.  Do I also have to turn off the "Enable 3G" feature at the same time?

I am furious that AT&T sells a "service" that is certain to cause me overcharges because there is no reliable way to USE the service I'm paying for without the risk of unexplained and unexpected overages.  From this forum, and other internet comments, it looks like this is a common problem.  AT&T can fix this problem unless they really do want to gouge their customers.  The C/S person asked me to buy AT&T wireless.  No way with service like this.  I have been an AT&T customer form most of my life, but I'm ready to change.  The next thing I expect is that they will take my 'grandfathered" status away.  

Does anybody at AT&T care to fix this problem?

My wife and I upgraded to i4 phones, and have the unlimited data "grandfathered."  We gave our 20 year old granddaughter my wife's 3GS phone, and signed her up under our account.  She is a college student, and opted to keep cost as low as possible, so she took the 200 MB data plan.  She is very conscientious about using the phone for internet usage ONLY when she is on our WIFI at home.  Now she gets messages that she has over 555 MB of data usage!  When I check my account, I see that I have used 74 MB, and my wife has used 144 MB in the same time period, and we have used internet access away from home frequently.

AT&T C/S implies that my granddaughter does lots of streaming, and gets "dropped" from our wireless at times.  They don't have a clue why my wife and I DON'T get "dropped" on our phones or laptops.  Their only solution is to backdate the 2GB plan to start of service.  That doesn't SOLVE the problem.  Other solution is to turn off the "Cellular Data" feature when on WIFI.  Do I also have to turn off the "Enable 3G" feature at the same time?

I am furious that AT&T sells a "service" that is certain to cause me overcharges because there is no reliable way to USE the service I'm paying for without the risk of unexplained and unexpected overages.  From this forum, and other internet comments, it looks like this is a common problem.  AT&T can fix this problem unless they really do want to gouge their customers.  The C/S person asked me to buy AT&T wireless.  No way with service like this.  I have been an AT&T customer form most of my life, but I'm ready to change.  The next thing I expect is that they will take my 'grandfathered" status away.  

Outrageous system for data charges - no control

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2011 12:21:28 AM
(0)
Employee
Turn data off unless needed. No point keeping it running all the time.
Turn data off unless needed. No point keeping it running all the time.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Outrageous system for data charges - no control

2 of 11 (993 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2011 4:45:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The solution has been given to you twice, which is for your granddaughter to turn off cellular data while using Wi-fi, and any time that the phone is not in use.  The phone will revert to cellular data to send and receive data while the phone sleeps, unless plugged in or if cellular data has been disabled.

Any two people will use their phones differently.  She may have more data syncing in the background on her phone than you do.  There is nothing wrong with this, but the user must understand how she is using data in order to keep the data usage under 200 MB.  There may also be times that your granddaughter is using the phone further away from the Wi-fi router than you do, and the signal may be dropped and she hasn't noticed.

If turning off cellular data doesn't work to keep the data usage as low as desired, you may have to consider switching to the 2GB plan.

The solution has been given to you twice, which is for your granddaughter to turn off cellular data while using Wi-fi, and any time that the phone is not in use.  The phone will revert to cellular data to send and receive data while the phone sleeps, unless plugged in or if cellular data has been disabled.

Any two people will use their phones differently.  She may have more data syncing in the background on her phone than you do.  There is nothing wrong with this, but the user must understand how she is using data in order to keep the data usage under 200 MB.  There may also be times that your granddaughter is using the phone further away from the Wi-fi router than you do, and the signal may be dropped and she hasn't noticed.

If turning off cellular data doesn't work to keep the data usage as low as desired, you may have to consider switching to the 2GB plan.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 11 (983 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2011 6:01:55 AM
(0)
Professor

With the iPhone, like many smart phone it is extremely easy to blow past 200mb of data.

Blaming AT&T or any carrier for the fact that they do not make it easy to stop data on a device that they have not control of is just silly.  Do you blame Ford, GM, Chyrsler, Toyota, or Honda for the fact that roads are so accessible and it costs a small forturne in fuel if you drive more than your "normal"?  I seriously hope not.

AT&T has nothing to do with the iOS on the device, Apple has total control over that.  If you do not like how iOS handles data and reverts to cellular data when the device is asleep, complain to Apple.

With the iPhone, like many smart phone it is extremely easy to blow past 200mb of data.

Blaming AT&T or any carrier for the fact that they do not make it easy to stop data on a device that they have not control of is just silly.  Do you blame Ford, GM, Chyrsler, Toyota, or Honda for the fact that roads are so accessible and it costs a small forturne in fuel if you drive more than your "normal"?  I seriously hope not.

AT&T has nothing to do with the iOS on the device, Apple has total control over that.  If you do not like how iOS handles data and reverts to cellular data when the device is asleep, complain to Apple.

4 of 11 (972 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2011 6:19:24 AM
(0)
Professor
If you turn off cellular data, you don't need to turn off 3G. Turing off 3G doesn't stop cell data anyway, it just makes it transfer at slower EDGE speed.

BTW, AT&T isn't responsible for how much your granddaughter is using on her phone. The fact that you and your wife are easily staying under 200 MB (which means it IS possible) and she's way over means that either there is something wrong with her phone, or more likely, she is actually using much more data than you and your wife combined.
If you turn off cellular data, you don't need to turn off 3G. Turing off 3G doesn't stop cell data anyway, it just makes it transfer at slower EDGE speed.

BTW, AT&T isn't responsible for how much your granddaughter is using on her phone. The fact that you and your wife are easily staying under 200 MB (which means it IS possible) and she's way over means that either there is something wrong with her phone, or more likely, she is actually using much more data than you and your wife combined.

5 of 11 (967 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2011 7:45:44 AM
(0)
Scholar
Agree with dwill05. My wife has had her 3GS for about a year with 200MB and has rarely reached the 100MB level. Your daughter must be streaming radio/video or using other apps that required data to be pushed. You might want to consider a more basic device if you're worried about data charges.
Agree with dwill05. My wife has had her 3GS for about a year with 200MB and has rarely reached the 100MB level. Your daughter must be streaming radio/video or using other apps that required data to be pushed. You might want to consider a more basic device if you're worried about data charges.

6 of 11 (955 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2011 8:21:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by johninsj on Jul 30, 2011 at 8:22:26 AM

hrcapo wrote:

AT&T can't fix the problem, because there is no problem. Your granddaughter is clearly a heavier data user than you or your wife. It's amazingly simple to grind through data, and AT&T is happy to provide it to you.

Your granddaughter should be on the 2GB plan based on her current usage, or she should turn off cellular data on the phone, only turning it on when absolutely necessary.

If nothing else, it will help her identify exactly how often she IS trying to use cellular data when off Wifi.

For this month, you can call in and backdate upgrade her to the 2GB plan ($10 more for the month vs the overages for the 200MB plan should be cheaper) then you need to decide if you want to keep it there or not. I'd suggest you do, for at least a few months - if she's stable but under 2GB, then that's just what she needs to enjoy the device, data use wise.

hrcapo wrote:

AT&T can't fix the problem, because there is no problem. Your granddaughter is clearly a heavier data user than you or your wife. It's amazingly simple to grind through data, and AT&T is happy to provide it to you.

Your granddaughter should be on the 2GB plan based on her current usage, or she should turn off cellular data on the phone, only turning it on when absolutely necessary.

If nothing else, it will help her identify exactly how often she IS trying to use cellular data when off Wifi.

For this month, you can call in and backdate upgrade her to the 2GB plan ($10 more for the month vs the overages for the 200MB plan should be cheaper) then you need to decide if you want to keep it there or not. I'd suggest you do, for at least a few months - if she's stable but under 2GB, then that's just what she needs to enjoy the device, data use wise.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
7 of 11 (947 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2011 9:20:14 PM
(0)
Explorer
One thing you can do is to reset the data counter on the iphone on the day the bill closes. This way you can check the actual data used. You would not be the first parent/grandparent who has been bit in the butt by a teens data (or text for that matter) usage.
One thing you can do is to reset the data counter on the iphone on the day the bill closes. This way you can check the actual data used. You would not be the first parent/grandparent who has been bit in the butt by a teens data (or text for that matter) usage.

8 of 11 (906 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2011 2:21:03 PM
(0)
Guru

That's disappointing to hear! I'm sorry about the usage! I'd recommend upgrading her data plan to the higher $25 2GB one, It would save you money at those rates. Also, you should try turning off AT&T's data in settings, besides for important reasons.

That's disappointing to hear! I'm sorry about the usage! I'd recommend upgrading her data plan to the higher $25 2GB one, It would save you money at those rates. Also, you should try turning off AT&T's data in settings, besides for important reasons.

Experience the Underlyingsound.

9 of 11 (872 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2011 10:06:03 AM
(0)
Mentor

I have 200 mg data plan.  I have disabled push, fetch, all notifications and keep my cellular data off unless I don't have wifi access and then only used it to check voicemail and sync to my kindle.  (voicemail cannot be accessed any other way)  So far, half the month is gone and I've used less than 400 kilobytes, just less than a quarter of the 200 MG allotted.  I suggest she keep her cellular data off and try to use wifi, exclusively.   With the amount of hot spots around college campuses, it's relatively easy to do.     This will also prevent any accidental use of data via running apps.  

I have 200 mg data plan.  I have disabled push, fetch, all notifications and keep my cellular data off unless I don't have wifi access and then only used it to check voicemail and sync to my kindle.  (voicemail cannot be accessed any other way)  So far, half the month is gone and I've used less than 400 kilobytes, just less than a quarter of the 200 MG allotted.  I suggest she keep her cellular data off and try to use wifi, exclusively.   With the amount of hot spots around college campuses, it's relatively easy to do.     This will also prevent any accidental use of data via running apps.  

10 of 11 (719 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2011 12:24:34 PM
(0)
Former Employee

Lisahahaha wrote:

A quarter of 200MB is 50MB which equals 50000 kilobytes. Your 400 kilobytes is very much less than a quarter of the 200MB allotment. In any event, you have clearly proven that one can control their data consumption.

Lisahahaha wrote:

A quarter of 200MB is 50MB which equals 50000 kilobytes. Your 400 kilobytes is very much less than a quarter of the 200MB allotment. In any event, you have clearly proven that one can control their data consumption.

11 of 11 (473 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments