Original iPhone pick your plan w/ unlimited data owner buying an iPhone 4

Tutor

Original iPhone pick your plan w/ unlimited data owner buying an iPhone 4

[ Edited ]

What do I need to do in order to transfer to the iPhone 4?

I am scheduled for pick up for my reserved iPhone 4 on the 24th at the Apple Store.

An Option I've read;

1) Transfer your old sim to the new micro sim and pay the no committment price when you pick up your iPhone 4 at the Apple Store.

a) If I do this, do I go to an At&t store prior to pick up?

b) or will the Apple Store be able to handle this transaction?

Is this what is called grandfathering my plan to the new iPhone 4?

Can anyone verify this?

Please advise, I would like to know my options.

Thank you,

Message 1 of 18 (1,883 Views)
Master

Re: Original iPhone pick your plan w/ unlimited data owner buying an iPhone 4

Your only option is to go with a post-paid plan.  Only the original iPhone could be used on PYP.  And I'm not at all certain that you'll be able to keep your unlimited plan, as you didn't have the unlimited data on a post-paid plan.

Message 2 of 18 (1,840 Views)
Tutor

Thank you for your help.

Can this be verified from someone who works at At&t CS?

Message 3 of 18 (1,829 Views)
Master

No.  You will not get a verification from AT&T CS here.  This is a customer-oriented forum.  The only AT&T employees here are the moderators, who are here to ensure everyone plays nice in the sandbox.

The iPhone 3G & 3GS could NOT be used with pre-paid plans, so it's a pretty safe bet the iPhone 4 will not be allowed on pre-paid either.  You may find someone to take mercy on you and let you keep your unlimited plan, but I'd be willing to bet that you won't get to keep it.

Message 4 of 18 (1,825 Views)
Tutor

Should I move to post-paid before I go instore or wait till I get to the Apple Store.

Anyone else in my shoes?

Message 5 of 18 (1,788 Views)
Tutor

Some more info I have found:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/popups/gophone-customer-important-information.jsp

as well as here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&solutionId=KB65978

But no one can tell me if I can move my unlimited plan over, since I am original iPhone unlimited data user not on a contract.

How can I move this to the iPhone 4?

Message 6 of 18 (1,747 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

I first started with the Iphone then currently use a 3g iPhone with PYP. the plan states I have the hybrid PYP iphone bundle w/ 3g unlimited.

Message 7 of 18 (1,736 Views)
Teacher

I am an original owner as well.  Been outside of the contract for a year I guess.   On the website for preorder I was offered the unlimited 3G plan for $30 a month.  Ordered the txt plan as well.  It was the third choice in the line.

Oddly when I got my new service contract information it had the unlimited plan at the price I pay now, $20 a month.

Message 8 of 18 (1,702 Views)
Tutor

Hi!

Thanks for posting, but I didn't pre-order through the website but opted to reserve mine for in-store pick up.

What do I have to tell them when I get there?

Message 9 of 18 (1,695 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

You are very likely going to loose your number. When I went from the 2G PYP to a 3GS on a contract account i had to go through a corporate AT&T store to keep my same number. Apple was not equipped to handle that kind change. So what i did exactly was I went to AT&T opened the new post-paid line using my 2G which meant i had no contract and I was free to upgrade at anytime. This allowed me to keep my number from my pre-paid account. Then I went back and did the upgrade through Apple.

Message 10 of 18 (1,684 Views)
Mentor

You shouldn't have any problems going from your 2g to a iphone 4.  I had a 3g when they first came out, it was stolen, and then I got a 2g, which I still have now.  I just ordered my iPhone 4 for delivery.  The Apple store will be able to handle your account.  When you put in the order you should have been asked to pick your new plan, you could have chosen to carry over your unlimited data plan, or move down to one of the new limited plans, and then optionally add a texting plan.  So your actual phone plan part of it should have all been taken care of when you placed the order.  Now all you need is the phone, and all you need to do for that is:

1. Backup your phone through iTunes

2. Go to Apple store

3. Wait

4. Wait...

5. Get Your Phone

6. Race Home

7. Sync your phone with iTunes, it'll say it's detected a new phone and ask if you want to load it up with the last backup you've made, and say yes, when it's done then just transfer any of your music and photos and enjoy your new phone! 

Message 11 of 18 (1,010 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for your reply, what do you mean by corporate At&t store? I do want to keep my original number. I still have my original Iphone or the 3g im currently using? I think I will try this.
Message 12 of 18 (993 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for the reply!

Were you on pre-paid or post paid?
I didn't pre-pay for the iPhone 4. I reserved it for pick up at Apple.
Message 13 of 18 (992 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

elephunk wrote:
Thanks for your reply, what do you mean by corporate At&t store? I do want to keep my original number. I still have my original Iphone or the 3g im currently using? I think I will try this.

By Corporate I mean a actual AT&T run store. Not a AT&T Authorized Retailer.If you looke at the Find a Store link at the top enter your zip. Normally Corporate stores will just be labled as AT&T and it will list the Apple iPhone as a product.

Message 14 of 18 (990 Views)
Tutor

Okay thanks, which phone should I bring?

Any other members want to share their experiences?
Message 15 of 18 (981 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.