Option Wireless GT MAX 3.6 Express and home networking

Contributor

Option Wireless GT MAX 3.6 Express and home networking

I have an Option Wireless GT MAX 3.6 Express sky card, and I want to know if I can setup a home network using it and how.  I have Tivo service, and my Tivo was originally downloading information from the internet off of my DSL internet connection through a router.  Now that I dumped the DSL service and got the sky card, I can't update the Tivo because it cannot access the internet.  Can anyone tell me if and how to setup a home network?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 6 (3,774 Views)
Contributor

Re: Option Wireless GT MAX 3.6 Express and home networking

Oh yeah, and I also forgot to add that I have Vonage and want to get that back up and running.  Thanks!
Message 2 of 6 (3,713 Views)
Contributor

I won't guarantee it will work, but you might have to use something like ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on one of your computers.  I have been able to do something similarly through my MacBook Pro, but I've had limited success on a Windows machine.  Once you have ICS turned on one of your machines, you can use your router (I would suggest it) and hook the Internet port to your exposed machine (the one with the card installed), and then have all your other devices connect through the standard ports inside your router.  Hope this helps.  There might be a better way, but I don't know of any offhand.
Message 3 of 6 (3,585 Views)
Tutor

Just a reminder here.  Use of Voice over IP services over the cingular data network is against the acceptable use policy for any of the data plans.  That and unless you are in a 3G network I don't know if you would have enough bandwidth anyways.
Message 4 of 6 (3,568 Views)
Contributor

Here is your solution, needs an adapter slot card however which you can find on the web for about $40.
Message 5 of 6 (3,251 Views)
Contributor

Message 6 of 6 (3,248 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.