Option GT Max 3.6 Express Card - Connection problems

Contributor

Option GT Max 3.6 Express Card - Connection problems

Could someone please tell us why we can connect with 3G in Dallas, but not in Houston? We purchased this connect card for our daughter, who is attending TWU in Houston, and lives a few miles southeast of the Medical Center. The coverage map shows this is a 3G area.  When in Dallas, it says "3G" in the connect box and we have no problems connecting to all websites, but NOT when in Houston. We were visiting this weekend and this it what it says in the connect box. "Connected: 'Cingular - Accelerated'  Signal -89d8m (I think it's an 8, or is it a B?)"  It is VERY slow, and our grandaughter is very upset that she can't login to the Webkinz site! Also, where on earth, does AT&T have a real live Tech Support person, for these aircards?  This has been a VERY frustrating experience, as we were sent the wrong aircard the first time.  We then went to an AT&T store and they switched out the card, and it still didn't work. After talking to support on the phone, and then going again to the store, we discovered the sims card wasn't activitated!  So, we now can connect, and it's great in Dallas, but it's practically worthless in Houston. Can someone please help or do I need to call in the "Geek Squad"???
Message 1 of 5 (2,907 Views)
Scholar

Re: Option GT Max 3.6 Express Card - Connection problems

Yes, to troubleshoot issue, call 1-800-331-0500 option 0 then 1 then 1 again to get to a data support agent, they will help you free of charge
Message 2 of 5 (2,897 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion to call support, but as you can probably tell from my original post, I'm not a whiz with computers. The technical stuff is over my head, so the tech support people might as well  be talking to me in another language. My husband is fairly knowledgeable with computers and has spent HOURS trying to make it work, with no luck. That's why I'm seeing if anyone has any suggestions that we might try. He brought the computer back with him, and I know he's going to spend many more hours trying to see what's wrong, so I'm trying to save him some time and grief.  One simple thing I thought of, was that the sims card has a Dallas phone number. Is there some setting that we're missing to make it 3G, in other areas, such as Houston?  This is probably to simple! Ha! Any ideas?
Message 3 of 5 (2,890 Views)
Scholar

You can try updating the firmware on the device which is recommended with this device.

http://support.option.com/att/index.php?title=GTMAX%203.6%20Firmware%20Update&action=module15/index

Message 4 of 5 (2,848 Views)
Mentor

Make sure when you call in you use your data cards "phone number"
if you don't you wont get the data support prompt but they can still bring you to tech, who can bring you there.
Message 5 of 5 (2,765 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.