Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 19, 2011
9:06:33 AM
Opting out of a data plan for a smartphone

i was looking at the ask the virtual expert and it said you could opt out of the data plan but i'm not exactly sure of what to do

i was looking at the ask the virtual expert and it said you could opt out of the data plan but i'm not exactly sure of what to do

Opting out of a data plan for a smartphone

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2011 10:25:41 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by JFizDaWiz on Feb 19, 2011 at 10:26:01 AM

you can't if you have a smartphone. if you have a smartphone you are required to have a smartphone data plan. only way around is if you had the smartphone before the changes but that was at the end of 2009 so it's far too late.

not all information is correct on the website and their is a clause stating so

you can't if you have a smartphone. if you have a smartphone you are required to have a smartphone data plan. only way around is if you had the smartphone before the changes but that was at the end of 2009 so it's far too late.

not all information is correct on the website and their is a clause stating so

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Opting out of a data plan for a smartphone

[ Edited ]
2 of 7 (4,347 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2011 12:05:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

well i have somehow got out of it because in the summer of 10' i bought 3 blackberry's and i don't have a data plan

well i have somehow got out of it because in the summer of 10' i bought 3 blackberry's and i don't have a data plan

3 of 7 (4,327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2011 7:02:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

HtcInspireLover wrote:

Right. And you would like to get an Inspire, but you do not want to pay the monthly data plan that IS mandatory...

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

HtcInspireLover wrote:

Right. And you would like to get an Inspire, but you do not want to pay the monthly data plan that IS mandatory...

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 7 (4,286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2011 3:49:48 AM
(0)
Expert

HtcInspireLover wrote:

the plan is mandatory - period.

Now pay full retail from a 3rd party vendor, add the phone ot an existing att contract and you might get away withno data plan, but the caveat is - if att ever determines that you are using this phone they can and will add the mandatory data plan and this is nothing you can do about it except leave - tis is documented in the service agreement (not NOT contract).  The data plan requirement is part of the basic wireless service agreement.

HtcInspireLover wrote:

the plan is mandatory - period.

Now pay full retail from a 3rd party vendor, add the phone ot an existing att contract and you might get away withno data plan, but the caveat is - if att ever determines that you are using this phone they can and will add the mandatory data plan and this is nothing you can do about it except leave - tis is documented in the service agreement (not NOT contract).  The data plan requirement is part of the basic wireless service agreement.

5 of 7 (4,255 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 2:26:57 AM
(0)
Contributor
well sorry to tell you but i had a problem with the data plan thing and i called them and had my data re blocked and they told me as long as my data is blocked they will not charge me a penny i just have to use wifi and not their data. and with the data blocked they will not say nothing. they have known that i am using a samsung jack for a while now and the only time a problem arose was when i went on a trip and my family i was visiting had hardly any signal and i removed the opt out to connect to their 3g microcell but i was able to reblock it and they know i have a smartphone and i have had no problems yet. and i plan on buying a refurbished iphone 3gs sometime soon from gamestop and it works the same way so yes they can know that you have a smartphone, just as long as you don't use THEIR data.
well sorry to tell you but i had a problem with the data plan thing and i called them and had my data re blocked and they told me as long as my data is blocked they will not charge me a penny i just have to use wifi and not their data. and with the data blocked they will not say nothing. they have known that i am using a samsung jack for a while now and the only time a problem arose was when i went on a trip and my family i was visiting had hardly any signal and i removed the opt out to connect to their 3g microcell but i was able to reblock it and they know i have a smartphone and i have had no problems yet. and i plan on buying a refurbished iphone 3gs sometime soon from gamestop and it works the same way so yes they can know that you have a smartphone, just as long as you don't use THEIR data.

6 of 7 (3,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 4:04:54 AM
(0)
Expert

kslaughter322 wrote:

If it is a smartphone you will be charged for a data plan, data block or no data block - read the terms

kslaughter322 wrote:

If it is a smartphone you will be charged for a data plan, data block or no data block - read the terms

7 of 7 (3,256 Views)