Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 21, 2009
2:32:15 PM
View profile
Opera Mobile 9.7
Edited by hchavarria on Oct 21, 2009 at 2:43:01 PM

Has anyone tried the new verion of Opera Mobile?  I downloaded it today from the Opera website and huge speed difference in the website loading.  To bad this version cannot install over the existing version since it is built into rom.  You do loose some functionality like zooming with the zoom bar but maybe a registry teak can enable this, i have been double tapping to zoom in.  In the settings you can enable the turbo browsing which is currently in beta so if you have it on it does not allow you to download things but it is really fast for normal browsing but if yo need to download something you can just disable it.

Message Edited by hchavarria on 10-21-2009 02:43:01 PM

Has anyone tried the new verion of Opera Mobile?  I downloaded it today from the Opera website and huge speed difference in the website loading.  To bad this version cannot install over the existing version since it is built into rom.  You do loose some functionality like zooming with the zoom bar but maybe a registry teak can enable this, i have been double tapping to zoom in.  In the settings you can enable the turbo browsing which is currently in beta so if you have it on it does not allow you to download things but it is really fast for normal browsing but if yo need to download something you can just disable it.

Message Edited by hchavarria on 10-21-2009 02:43:01 PM

Opera Mobile 9.7

[ Edited ]
14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2009 3:03:55 PM
(0)
Expert
It's a tad faster than 9.5, but still not as fast as Skyfire.  Although these are the only 2 browsers (at this point) that I would use.  PIE, Opera Mini and Bolt are not as robust in my opinion.  I am using the newest 9.7 build.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold
It's a tad faster than 9.5, but still not as fast as Skyfire.  Although these are the only 2 browsers (at this point) that I would use.  PIE, Opera Mini and Bolt are not as robust in my opinion.  I am using the newest 9.7 build.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

Re: Opera Mobile 9.7

2 of 15 (2,891 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2009 3:11:44 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by hchavarria on Oct 21, 2009 at 3:13:18 PM
I personally don't like skyfire and it it runs off of a server somewhere it's recommended that use don't do anything secure on it, I have it installed just in case I need to browse something in flash or something that doesn't get displayed good in Opera.  I find that 9.7 loads pages way faster although loading the actual app takes a bit just like the preinstalled version.  I believe that Opera Mini is way better then Bolt but I prefer Opera Mobile instead.  Have you managed to get the zoombar working with 9.7?  I downloaded it off the website so I assume I am alos running the latest build (unless you are running a leaked version.)
Message Edited by hchavarria on 10-21-2009 03:13:18 PM
I personally don't like skyfire and it it runs off of a server somewhere it's recommended that use don't do anything secure on it, I have it installed just in case I need to browse something in flash or something that doesn't get displayed good in Opera.  I find that 9.7 loads pages way faster although loading the actual app takes a bit just like the preinstalled version.  I believe that Opera Mini is way better then Bolt but I prefer Opera Mobile instead.  Have you managed to get the zoombar working with 9.7?  I downloaded it off the website so I assume I am alos running the latest build (unless you are running a leaked version.)

[ Edited ]
3 of 15 (2,886 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2009 3:24:31 PM
(0)
Expert

hchavarria wrote:

My zoombar works.  You might be running an older build.  Google for build 35461 which I believe is the version found in the HTC Leo.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

hchavarria wrote:

My zoombar works.  You might be running an older build.  Google for build 35461 which I believe is the version found in the HTC Leo.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

4 of 15 (2,879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2009 3:32:20 PM
(0)
Scholar
This will be the issue, I am running 35166
This will be the issue, I am running 35166

5 of 15 (2,867 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2009 6:10:47 PM
(0)
Scholar
Is this the one you installed Windows Mobile 5 Pocket PC  ?
Is this the one you installed Windows Mobile 5 Pocket PC  ?

6 of 15 (2,832 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2009 7:38:28 PM
(0)
Scholar
i just went to Opera.com then to Opera Mobile, hit download and there you will be.
i just went to Opera.com then to Opera Mobile, hit download and there you will be.

7 of 15 (2,813 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2009 10:47:35 AM
(0)
Scholar

Definitely need some help here. By mistake, I uninstalled the version of Opera that came with the phone, installed the beta 9.7 from opera website, and do not like the fact that it does not have zoom capabilities. Found the one version that you talked about, installed, but after required reboot, cannot even start it. It is clocking for some time, and then disappears.

Any way I can get back to the original one (do not want to hard reset), or maybe you can post the link to the version you mentioned with the zoom, but the one that works.

Thanks.

Definitely need some help here. By mistake, I uninstalled the version of Opera that came with the phone, installed the beta 9.7 from opera website, and do not like the fact that it does not have zoom capabilities. Found the one version that you talked about, installed, but after required reboot, cannot even start it. It is clocking for some time, and then disappears.

Any way I can get back to the original one (do not want to hard reset), or maybe you can post the link to the version you mentioned with the zoom, but the one that works.

Thanks.

8 of 15 (2,738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2009 8:35:16 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by hchavarria on Oct 22, 2009 at 8:52:22 PM

How did you uninstall the Original version?  When I installed the official beta from the Opera site all it did was add a second version on my phone.  I downloaded version 35461 but I don't have zoom from the zoom bar and I also tried the registry mod but it did not work.  Version 35461 will upgrade the currently installed version since it is a leak from another phone.

EDIT:

Ok so I got it to work, I installed this version of 35461 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MM4KK7SD and now my zoombar works like a charm.

Message Edited by hchavarria on 10-22-2009 08:52:22 PM

How did you uninstall the Original version?  When I installed the official beta from the Opera site all it did was add a second version on my phone.  I downloaded version 35461 but I don't have zoom from the zoom bar and I also tried the registry mod but it did not work.  Version 35461 will upgrade the currently installed version since it is a leak from another phone.

EDIT:

Ok so I got it to work, I installed this version of 35461 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MM4KK7SD and now my zoombar works like a charm.

[ Edited ]
9 of 15 (2,677 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2009 5:38:34 AM
(0)
Scholar

This is how it probably happened, I first installed the beta from opera site, did not like that it did not have the zoom, then I started to upgrade to another version, and it definitely overlaid what came with the phone. Then I uninstalled the 9.7 build 35461, and ended up without anything.

What I did not like about 35461
1. you can zoom , but pages were not rendered properly, could not move it on a screen, was not responding.

2. I could not access device.home site, but that was nothing. I could not access some of my work sites through the vpn connection. I am sure it was just a matter of changing something in opera:config, but did not dig.

3. phone starting acting funky, freezing etc. It maybe related to the fact, that I was installing/uninstalling multiple times, but for now, I will probably stay away from the leaked version.

And the laste question, if anyone can tell me what is the original build of opera 9.5 came with the tilt 2?

Thanks.

This is how it probably happened, I first installed the beta from opera site, did not like that it did not have the zoom, then I started to upgrade to another version, and it definitely overlaid what came with the phone. Then I uninstalled the 9.7 build 35461, and ended up without anything.

What I did not like about 35461
1. you can zoom , but pages were not rendered properly, could not move it on a screen, was not responding.

2. I could not access device.home site, but that was nothing. I could not access some of my work sites through the vpn connection. I am sure it was just a matter of changing something in opera:config, but did not dig.

3. phone starting acting funky, freezing etc. It maybe related to the fact, that I was installing/uninstalling multiple times, but for now, I will probably stay away from the leaked version.

And the laste question, if anyone can tell me what is the original build of opera 9.5 came with the tilt 2?

Thanks.

10 of 15 (2,638 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2009 8:05:28 AM
(0)
Scholar
If you uninstall all versions and go to the Windows directory through file explorer you can find a file called OperaL this is the original version.
If you uninstall all versions and go to the Windows directory through file explorer you can find a file called OperaL this is the original version.

11 of 15 (1,850 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2009 8:12:47 AM
(0)
Expert

hchavarria wrote:

EDIT:

That's the ticket laddie!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

hchavarria wrote:

EDIT:

That's the ticket laddie!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

12 of 15 (1,846 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2009 10:44:40 AM
(0)
Teacher

Is there a way to hide the magnifying glass in the lower left corner?

Is there a way to hide the magnifying glass in the lower left corner?

13 of 15 (1,826 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 11:52:15 AM
(0)
Contributor

I agree with you about Skyfire. The Flash thing is the only thing I like about it, and now that Hulu is blocked, what's the point in using it until they fix some problems?

I don't care at all for the lack of word wrapping - that makes it completely useless to me as a website article reader. Also, the image rendering leaves alot to be desired, especially when zooming. Not supporting the zoom bar and g sensor, although not their fault, was the final nail in the coffin for Skyfire.

This new 9.7 Opera has my tiny little nips exploding with delight! It looks as if everything works like it's supposed to and the images are very clean. Unfortunately it is still missing the "Load Image in Full Quality" option (that is in O-Mini or O-Mobile 10, I forget which).

Best of all, turning off Mobile View ACTUALLY TURNS OFF THE MOBILE VIEW of most web sites!!! In 9.5, I was always dinking around with about:config and registry settings to get pages to render like I wanted them. By default, I want the original webpage. If it doesn't look right, then I will find the mobile site myself! I was always secretly jealous of my wife's Safari on her iPhone (but I'd never tell her that), because it didn't redirect to the kiddie-version of the site.

That being said, I wish the youtube flash plugin placeholders in Opera would automatically open the Youtube app, like they do on iPhone Safari. Anyone have any thing to offer on the subject?

The version I used was the one that you ( linked in this thread:  http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MM4KK7SD

If the link ever goes away, reply to this post and I can email it directly.

Next, I will be looking to xda for Opera with flash support

I agree with you about Skyfire. The Flash thing is the only thing I like about it, and now that Hulu is blocked, what's the point in using it until they fix some problems?

I don't care at all for the lack of word wrapping - that makes it completely useless to me as a website article reader. Also, the image rendering leaves alot to be desired, especially when zooming. Not supporting the zoom bar and g sensor, although not their fault, was the final nail in the coffin for Skyfire.

This new 9.7 Opera has my tiny little nips exploding with delight! It looks as if everything works like it's supposed to and the images are very clean. Unfortunately it is still missing the "Load Image in Full Quality" option (that is in O-Mini or O-Mobile 10, I forget which).

Best of all, turning off Mobile View ACTUALLY TURNS OFF THE MOBILE VIEW of most web sites!!! In 9.5, I was always dinking around with about:config and registry settings to get pages to render like I wanted them. By default, I want the original webpage. If it doesn't look right, then I will find the mobile site myself! I was always secretly jealous of my wife's Safari on her iPhone (but I'd never tell her that), because it didn't redirect to the kiddie-version of the site.

That being said, I wish the youtube flash plugin placeholders in Opera would automatically open the Youtube app, like they do on iPhone Safari. Anyone have any thing to offer on the subject?

The version I used was the one that you ( linked in this thread:  http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MM4KK7SD

If the link ever goes away, reply to this post and I can email it directly.

Next, I will be looking to xda for Opera with flash support

14 of 15 (1,477 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2010 6:09:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The following XDA thread has every version of Opera Mobile evar, and instructions on how to get the zoom bar working on 9.7.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=486502

9.7 hasn't been in beta for some time, so ge the "real" version.  I forgot which build I was using before I flashed to the Energy ROM (which has 9.7 cooked in).  But it worked very well.  It was slightly faster than the stock 9.5 versions on the Tilt2, and the zoom bar worked, but only after I applied the reg edit as noted in the thread.

The following XDA thread has every version of Opera Mobile evar, and instructions on how to get the zoom bar working on 9.7.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=486502

9.7 hasn't been in beta for some time, so ge the "real" version.  I forgot which build I was using before I flashed to the Energy ROM (which has 9.7 cooked in).  But it worked very well.  It was slightly faster than the stock 9.5 versions on the Tilt2, and the zoom bar worked, but only after I applied the reg edit as noted in the thread.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

15 of 15 (1,417 Views)