Opening new line with iphone 4 upgrade to 5?

Contributor

Opening new line with iphone 4 upgrade to 5?

I need to open a new account within a few days and I really want to get an iPhone. I'd have to get an iPhone 4 but I know the "5" is coming by next month. If I get the 4 and the 5 comes out within a month can I return the 4 and pay a new line price for the iPhone 5?

Message 1 of 7 (2,017 Views)
Master

Re: Opening new line with iphone 4 upgrade to 5?

caliguy212 wrote:

I need to open a new account within a few days and I really want to get an iPhone. I'd have to get an iPhone 4 but I know the "5" is coming by next month. If I get the 4 and the 5 comes out within a month can I return the 4 and pay a new line price for the iPhone 5?

If the phone is released within 30 days, you can swap the iphone 4 for the next model.  Since Apple has made no formal announcements and the rummors are running rampant about production delays, we do not know if we will see two new phones or just one.  A minor update or a major release?  I would not take any bets at this point.  Do you have an old phone you can use in ther interim?   ONce you get past 30 days, you will not be eligible for upgrade pricing for approximately 18 months.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 7 (2,009 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

If you are still within the return period, you can return the phone and get a different one. Be aware that you will have to pay the restocking fee, which is normally 10%. Also, no one currently knows when the next phone will come out. It may be within the next 30 days, or it may not be. Finally, I think the new phone will have to be in stock. If it's like the previous releases, finding a phone in a store for an exchange may be very difficult for a couple of weeks.

If it were me, I'd definitely wait until the date of the next phone was officially announced before jumping.

Message 3 of 7 (2,004 Views)

Follow the advice of the others, as they won't steer you wrong. If you absolutely, positively need a new phone in a couple of days, find the cheapest unlocked 850/1900MHz phone on Amazon you can. They're selling an unlocked Samsung T139 for $35. Don't bet that: a) the new iPhone will be out within 30 days of you starting this new line and b) that you'll actually be able to get one of the first batch of iPhones. With the new iPhone coming out more than a year after the iPhone 4, you'll likely see higher demand this time around than you did with the last phone.

Message 4 of 7 (1,921 Views)
Scholar

With Apple's delay of the white iPhone, I have no confidence whatsoever anymore in any rumors or tentative release dates for an iPhone. If you are interested in an iPhone 4, check WalMart. The stores by me (N. Georgia) are selling the 4 for 150 with a 2 year contract and they do not charge a restocking fee if you bring it back. I thought I lost my 3GS and I reluctantly upgraded to the 4. I was also waiting on the 5. I found my 3GS 2 days later and took the phone back with no problems at all.

They were able to roll back my upgrade and now I'm just waiting to see whether the Nexus Prime or iPhone 5 will get me through the next couple of years. I'm past the fanboy stage and I don't need a smartphone for dummies. I'm focusing on phone hardware and responsiveness of the OS. Add to that the aforementioned white iPhone fiasco and the antenna issue with the 4, Apple just doesn't seem to get it. But that is for another forum and another time, I would wait if I were you and I really wanted the 5.

Message 5 of 7 (1,791 Views)

I actually disagree with everybody else. If you're interested in an iPhone and you need a phone now, I'd get the best iPhone avialable and that's currently the iPhone 4. It's not worth wasting your time with rumours, as that's all they are. If a next-generation iPhone is announced or released within a month of your purchuse, then you'll be able to upgrade and AT&T usually waives the restocking fee in that situation anyways. If it's not...then you'll have an iPhone for a long enough amount of time that it's considered the current phone when you bought it and that's ok too!

Message 6 of 7 (1,683 Views)
Mentor

I totally agree with Underlyingsound. Believe it or not, I just used my upgrade just last week to upgrade my 1 year old iPhone 4 16gb to an iPhone 4 32gb. At this point in time, the next iPhone doesn't exist. I'm not one that has to have the newest phone that comes out anymore. I am/was more concerned with space to be able to use my phone the way that I want. Now I have a brand new iPhone that will last me for quite some time.
Message 7 of 7 (1,537 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.