Only one month from contract date, why is there still a charge to cancel???

Contributor

Only one month from contract date, why is there still a charge to cancel???

Hi, I am one month from my contract renewal date (it's June now, and it ends exactly one month from now in July).  My husband has already cancelled his part of the contract and went to Verizon (he was under my plan and his ended June 2nd); why can't I cancel now without a fee???

We get NO cell service in our house now, for some odd reason, where we used to get at least 2 bars.  I called AT&T and told them this; they were singularly unconcerned as to this development and wanted me to spend $100 on a cell signal booster OR put in a land line (spend more of my money).  Verizon cancelled my contract with no fee when they found that I could not get cell signal in my house when I was with them 5 years ago.  They stated they were concerned that I might be in the house and need to use the cell in an emergency and could not get to a land line; at the time, I could call with an AT&T cell phone so they cancelled me with no problem & no fee.  AT&T was not willing to do the same, even though I only had about 4 months left on the contract when I called to inquire about cancelling. 

Verizon cell phones now get a signal of 4 to 5 bars in our house, and 3G is available also (husband's work phone is a Verizon cell phone; we tested this out in early Feb  of 2011. 

Do I have any recourse instead of waiting the full month?  I go on call with a new job and really don't want to spend $$ on a land line.

Thanks for any help and/or answers!!

Message 1 of 5
Expert

Re: Only one month from contract date, why is there still a charge to cancel???

you recoruces if you don;t want to wait is to pay the etf and leave now.
Message 2 of 5
Scholar

He probably had started his contract a month earlier than you did, the contracts are 2 years long. If you cancel now there will be an early termination fee because of breach in contract. Att probably will not waive that as i know verizon will not either. Honestly it really depends on who you talk to. Regular customer service representatives most likely won't but you do get those are willing to. They have the ability to waive it but it's just on whether or not they feel like they should. Coming up on 20 more days of your contract they will tell you to wait on that date to cancel but the etf should be small. Don't call att to cancel service, just ask them to see if they can waive it because if you want to keep your same number you'll have to keep that line open until the port process is completed with verizon then it will be cancelled on att's end and you'll get your final bill. Hope this helps.

Message 3 of 5

Do you really think AT&T actually cares about their subscribers? All they care about is $$$, certainly not a signal or dropped calls. One thing is for sure, they lead the nation for poor customer service reputation.
Message 4 of 5
Expert

Randall Stephenson wrote:
Do you really think AT&T actually cares about their subscribers? All they care about is $$$, certainly not a signal or dropped calls. One thing is for sure, they lead the nation for poor customer service reputation.

Personally I think all companies care about their customers, just that when it involved customer service teh results are very predictable

1. get everyting you want on a cs call = perfect service and the best thing since sliced pread

2. not get what you want = worst company in the world for customer service.

Had a reason to contact customer service yesterday - my wife and I had decided to get out middle daughter a phone for her birthday 11th coming up, the particular phone we wanted for her wass no avaialbe at a ATT corproate store so we went to a ftanchose, well they had thephone and the sales person set it up and added it to me personal account. When I got home I always chack online status when I make changes - I have a discontinued package and multiple umlimited smartphone data plans - the sales person had screwed up the line addition and changed my base plan - which was a Unity plan. Called in the their support, the rep spoke perfect english with no accent and explained the situation - rep looked at my account,  saw the error - got a supervisor that had the power ro fix the error, they had me check the online screen and my unity play was back in place.

The incident was resolved in my favor with about 15 minutes on the phone with CS, in htis incident I would call it perfect custoner service and caring for their customers, now if it wiuld have resolved any other way I would have been torqued and yelling and the woest customer service in the world - alhough I probably would not have posted in a forum, I would have escalated through the chain both at ATT AND at the franchise dealer I got the phone from.

Thing is with CS posts - you never know the full story - the only thing you see if the complaint post that is written in ternms that make the poster look like there was nothing that they did wrong and the "man" is always the guilty party.

Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support